• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

34th Annual No Foolin' Tournament presented by Discraft

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Just a little brag thread. This is our club's annual A Tier. We are changing some things up and I thought I would look for some feedback.

We have moved to a three day event, one round on Fri/Sat/Sun with tee times. We are running a flex C Tier on Thursday all day. It acts as our player pack pick up and many players play the event as well. We had a great response with our Player Card Packs last year. We request a digital picture submission, from each registered player and provide a list of questions, that fill out the back of the player card. Part of the player pack is your card in a plastic sleeve and a pack of other random players (no gum included). We had tons of players trading and swapping cards during the event. This year we have upped the ante. We will be including three random Golden Tickets. These win you a Chainstar Lite and a top quality backpack bag. We are purchasing a few hundred extra tickets to package and sell, there is a chance the golden ticket could be in one of those packs. Here is the rest of the player pack.

Each AM Player will receive:
2- Custom Tournament Discs
1- Custom Tournament Polo
1- Custom MittenBag
1- Pay2Play Fees

We really try to make a production out of the event. Dozens of Discraft feather flags bringing you down the park road to tournament central. A nice big tournament tent set up, with nice size banners, presenting each of our season's tournaments. We generally make a big membership push during the event and make some presentations on our 4 or 5 leagues. I am pretty excited for the golden ticket giveaway, I think it will make for a few pretty pleased golfers.

Some of my fondest tourney memories are from No Foolin tournaments. Still have this sweatshirt circa 1995

41149359_1514112625355349_4029470611242745856_n.jpg

I failed to cash at a No Foolin' once upon a time. It was the year they had Open play short tees all day (09).

I was hoping to see if the golden ticket offering was interesting or an attraction for tournament players. It is our first time offering such a bonus as essentially a free player pack raffle.

I was hoping to see if the golden ticket offering was interesting or an attraction for tournament players. It is our first time offering such a bonus as essentially a free player pack raffle.
It feels like it would be appealing if I was in one of the divisions it is relevant to. I'm assuming Open doesn't get the player pack like many events? So I'm not sure I'm the target audience.

It feels like it would be appealing if I was in one of the divisions it is relevant to. I'm assuming Open doesn't get the player pack like many events? So I'm not sure I'm the target audience.

No Foolin' is AM only. Sorry. :eek: We simply were exhausted by the same handful of MPO players, wreaking havoc at every event. The juice was NO longer worth the squeeze. We do still run a Pro/Am later in the summer. That is why we decided to run this "raffle" at No Foolin'....for the very reason you just stated.

No Foolin' is AM only. Sorry. :eek: We simply were exhausted by the same handful of MPO players, wreaking havoc at every event. The juice was NO longer worth the squeeze. We do still run a Pro/Am later in the summer. That is why we decided to run this "raffle" at No Foolin'....for the very reason you just stated.
Okay now I'm curious.... "wreaking havoc"? lol

Okay now I'm curious.... "wreaking havoc"? lol

I don't really want to seem like I am trashing on MPO. There have just been a handful of sad incidents from this field, in events, that have inflicted ridiculous abuse on volunteers and staff. It just is not worth it. Volunteers, staff and board members are hard enough to come by without having to subject them to verbal abuse. It would be a terrific story over a couple cold beer, after a round. Get up here and play some of the local courses. :clap:

I don't really want to seem like I am trashing on MPO. There have just been a handful of sad incidents from this field, in events, that have inflicted ridiculous abuse on volunteers and staff. It just is not worth it. Volunteers, staff and board members are hard enough to come by without having to subject them to verbal abuse. It would be a terrific story over a couple cold beer, after a round. Get up here and play some of the local courses. :clap:
Got it. Sometime this spring, when I've got a whole bunch of writing done on my dissertation, I'll start making more road trips up your way and I'd absolutely be down to grab a round of golf and beer. So much good beer up that way...

Well nowadays really so much good beer no matter what direction you travel. lol.

Buuuut.... considering the state of Ohio... I can definitely say: so much good legal pot up your way!

Also... I can drag my buddy Evan Hughes along. He just moved up to between Rolling and Lakeshore in the fall. He's a pro who you'd never in a million years have a bad experience with!

I think the personalized trading card idea is cool enough without the raffle ticket sweetener.

I haven't played a tournament in a while and am not in your area, but players pack is pretty far down the list of what would draw me to a tournament. Top considerations would be the quality of courses involved and the event staff's reputation for well run tourneys.

Sounds like a fun tourney and seems to be an awesome players pack. I love the banners being set up on the drive in. That gives a professional feel to the event. I may have to get this going in my area.

I am afraid the golden ticket thingee will be ant-climatic. It all depends if the winners are part of a large group when they find out. I think giving every one a numbered ticket and then announcing the winning numbers while handing out prizes would create more excitement.

I also am concerned the large players pack, plus basket giveaways will not leave much for actual prizes for the competitors, which to me is the defining issue on whether or not i play a tourney. I want the prize pool to be at least 50% of the entry fees, otherwise i consider it more of a party than a tournament (I am often disappointed).

Sounds like a fun tourney and seems to be an awesome players pack. I love the banners being set up on the drive in. That gives a professional feel to the event. I may have to get this going in my area.

I am afraid the golden ticket thingee will be ant-climatic. It all depends if the winners are part of a large group when they find out. I think giving every one a numbered ticket and then announcing the winning numbers while handing out prizes would create more excitement.

I also am concerned the large players pack, plus basket giveaways will not leave much for actual prizes for the competitors, which to me is the defining issue on whether or not i play a tourney. I want the prize pool to be at least 50% of the entry fees, otherwise i consider it more of a party than a tournament (I am often disappointed).

Me too. This is a great point. We were VERY lucky that we had some very big sponsorship that stepped up and donated baskets and bags. We spent a large portion of a recent meeting trying to figure out how to "get rid" of this stuff, lol. We also recoup considerable expenses via our Thursday, flex start/player pack pick up tournament, by way of merch payout profits. This leaves us the ability to maintain a very nice payout for the tournament.

Me too. This is a great point. We were VERY lucky that we had some very big sponsorship that stepped up and donated baskets and bags. We spent a large portion of a recent meeting trying to figure out how to "get rid" of this stuff, lol. We also recoup considerable expenses via our Thursday, flex start/player pack pick up tournament, by way of merch payout profits. This leaves us the ability to maintain a very nice payout for the tournament.
Is the flex start also Amateur Only?

It is. It is essentially our player pack pick up. Years ago we found that we would have this pick up and a ton of the players simply came out and played. We figured, why not run a C Tier and put a bit of money in the clubs pocket. We do have AM's that are not registered as part of the A Tier, come out and play the Thursday Flex.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Just_Foolin_Around_2023
Got it. :) Ah well. I was hopeful that at the C Tier with no added cash requirements maybe there'd be space for some Open folk, but alas...

I still appreciate the good work of A3!

That is great about the sponsors. I'm sure this will be a awesome tourney. Wish I was close enough to play.

Latest posts