• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

34th Annual No Foolin' Tournament presented by Discraft

Yeesh...only 4 slots for each F division?

And no women's divisions at all for Just Foolin' Around?

Yeah....this was a pretty big discussion a couple months ago. We spent last year, killing ourselves trying to engage the women's divisions. We reserved spots for each division and held them to the exclusion of an extensive waitlist. We took a TON of heat from MA divisions with 12 waitlisted, while we had 7 open FA spots in several divisions. We did not waiver from this all year, we did it for nearly every event. Holding those spots till shortly before the tournaments. We also ran a women's league for about a month or so with zero participants. We honestly were very disappointed. We REALLY thought we were trying to do the right thing and could provide a great service to the area, with our efforts. This season, it simply became a business decision. We are far more likely to receive positive feedback and better engagement by catering to senior or MA divisions. If we would have received even the slightest encouragement or engagement, we would have likely stayed the course.

Pretty sure we would gladly open a FA division if requested, at Just Foolin' Around. If you are interested, give me a shout. I will get one opened, we would likely require three players to pay out the division in that event, though. We just added some to our One Disc Challenge. Cool event. We are getting Discraft to run a pretty unique disc, just for the club and event. It also is our membership drive and would get you access to all of our leagues throughout the year. I would love to see you come out and hit some of our leagues, as well.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/One_Disc_Challenge_2023

Yeah....this was a pretty big discussion a couple months ago. We spent last year, killing ourselves trying to engage the women's divisions. We reserved spots for each division and held them to the exclusion of an extensive waitlist. We took a TON of heat from MA divisions with 12 waitlisted, while we had 7 open FA spots in several divisions. We did not waiver from this all year, we did it for nearly every event. Holding those spots till shortly before the tournaments. We also ran a women's league for about a month or so with zero participants. We honestly were very disappointed. We REALLY thought we were trying to do the right thing and could provide a great service to the area, with our efforts. This season, it simply became a business decision. We are far more likely to receive positive feedback and better engagement by catering to senior or MA divisions. If we would have received even the slightest encouragement or engagement, we would have likely stayed the course.

Pretty sure we would gladly open a FA division if requested, at Just Foolin' Around. If you are interested, give me a shout. I will get one opened, we would likely require three players to pay out the division in that event, though. We just added some to our One Disc Challenge. Cool event. We are getting Discraft to run a pretty unique disc, just for the club and event. It also is our membership drive and would get you access to all of our leagues throughout the year. I would love to see you come out and hit some of our leagues, as well.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/One_Disc_Challenge_2023

Have you reached out to the ladies of Grit and Grace, or Buckhorn Birdies, to see if they can drum up some support? I'm making inroads into having more disc golf gal pals, but so far it's the usual suspects (Audrey Wicklander, Samantha Roberts, etc.) so I'm not exactly much of a draw myself. If you could get Gina Fillo (Buckhorn Birdies) or Jen Trombley (Grit & Grace) to put the word out, you'd probably get a lot more women's eyes on A3. Honestly, A3's visibility isn't nearly what it used to be. I didn't even know y'all were still around when I came back, until I saw Ain't Foolin' Around on DGS...

G&G is closer, since the Birdies are focused mainly at Stony Creek, but they both have considerable visibility in the local women's community.

Have you reached out to the ladies of Grit and Grace, or Buckhorn Birdies, to see if they can drum up some support? I'm making inroads into having more disc golf gal pals, but so far it's the usual suspects (Audrey Wicklander, Samantha Roberts, etc.) so I'm not exactly much of a draw myself. If you could get Gina Fillo (Buckhorn Birdies) or Jen Trombley (Grit & Grace) to put the word out, you'd probably get a lot more women's eyes on A3. Honestly, A3's visibility isn't nearly what it used to be. I didn't even know y'all were still around when I came back, until I saw Ain't Foolin' Around on DGS...

G&G is closer, since the Birdies are focused mainly at Stony Creek, but they both have considerable visibility in the local women's community.

IMO, women's disc golf in this area is well represented. I think they have ample opportunity. This is perhaps the largest obstacle we faced. With 4-6 well attended leagues a week and 8-10 sold out tournaments a year....we honestly are not looking for much more visibility. More growth requires more resources, in the form of volunteers. This is always the short end of supply and demand.

Latest posts