• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

5 Ratings for non-cement tee pads?

Anyone know how many bags of concrete it takes to make a "normal" or "average" sized concrete tee?

Found some info, but not the details I am looking for.

"You need about one cubic yard for each 12 foot by 6 foot by 4 foot tee pad. " I think they mean 4 inch.

ok so one cubic yard=27 cubic feet. One 80 pound bag on quickrete makes .60 cubic feet at 2 inches thick, so .30 at 4 inches thick. divided into 27 cubic feet means 90 bags of quikrete to make a 12 by 6 foot tee. At the cost of $3.55 each comes to $319.50 plus forms etc. times 18 holes $5751. I hope my math is horribly wrong.

Yeah never mind, cubic yards of concrete are much cheaper by the truckload. quikete would bankrupt you.

I've played a bunch of courses where there was erosion around the front of the tee, so the leading edge of the tee was sticking up in the air. When you throw and follow through, you fall off the front edge of the tee. I'd take a well-maintained dirt or gravel tee over one of those.

I really don't think that concrete tees are all that magical. Back in the day when Sioux Passage went into the ground, the baskets had one pin placement but we had three dirt tees per hole. No matter when you went to the park you could choose if you were going to throw from the Reds, Whites or Blues. So you could choose what kind of course you were going to play. Now the course has been "improved" so there is one concrete tee per hole and a bunch of pin placements. When you show up to play, you get to play the kind of course the guy with the basket keys wants you to play. I guess it's cool if you are the guy with the keys, but I preferred the old days with the dirt tees.

If you pare your 12'x6' tees down to 10'x4', you'll only need 55% as much material. But yeah, Quikrete's not the way to do it.

How big are you guys making the pads where you are from? 12X6 is huge.

That's "Tournament Size" from Innova's website.

innovadiscs.com said:
Tournament courses may have teepads as large as 6' by 12' or larger.

If you're gonna dream, dream big. And if you're going to the trouble to do something, do it right the first time :) I was just trying to get an idea of what it might cost to put in these much ballyhooed foundations of disc launching.

Last edited:
5 disc ratings...

I don't think a 5 disc rating should hinge upon the cement tee box. I have found that not all cement tee boxes are created equal! It does completely depend upon upkeep. For instance my home course is a sweet little 9 hole fun factory but is missing a cement tee on the first hole...does it take away from the course...No...some other tee boxes are cement, but cracking and are much more scary to tee off from. I've been to other courses with no cement boxes that were bad azz so it doesn't matter to me in the end. I care more about marking, playability and baskets myself. I've tee'd off from the side of a cement box they were so bad so whatever...

Back in the day when Sioux Passage went into the ground, the baskets had one pin placement but we had three dirt tees per hole. No matter when you went to the park you could choose if you were going to throw from the Reds, Whites or Blues. So you could choose what kind of course you were going to play. Now the course has been "improved" so there is one concrete tee per hole and a bunch of pin placements. When you show up to play, you get to play the kind of course the guy with the basket keys wants you to play. I guess it's cool if you are the guy with the keys, but I preferred the old days with the dirt tees.
I still like concrete tees more than other kinds, but I do agree that multiple tees are better than multiple pin positions.

ERic

Ya know when I first started playing I was shocked that the tees were concrete, I couldnt believe they were spending money on something like that instead of using it to make the course better. I see them as a luxury and with money/funding as tight as it is now-a-days I'd much rather have an 18 hole course with cheaper tees, than a 9 hole course with perfect concrete.

But I would say that I dont see tee types defining my overall score.

Ya know those numbers that are being thrown around arent unrealistic, plus you gotta pay someone to do the labor of pouring, setting, and smoothing all that concrete. And in alot of hilly mountainous courses you cant back up a concrete truck to every location so I wouldnt be surprised if people are mixing that concrete or quikcrete with a small mixer or by hand. Thats ALOT of work, time, and money. Youre not even considering the little things like leveling the ground by digging, the cost of 2X4s to frame it, even in some cases pouring a layer of gravel down before you pour the concrete depending on the type of soil etc. to prevent it from settling wrong and cracking

as a person who has a decent sized run up, I am prone to slipping pretty easily if not on a good tee pad

it does not have to be concrete necessarily, but if the tee pad/teeing area is not good, then yes, I will lower the rating of the course - afterall, how can I enjoy myself if I am constantly slipping when trying to make my shot, and if you can not enjoy the course, then how can you rate it high? - as has been mentioned, there is such thing as bad concrete tee pads, which can be worse than no tee pads in some instances (concrete pads with rocks in them or that were not roughed up properly can get very slick and dangerous when wet)

A fellow showed up to a glow tournement a couple weeks ago wearing cleets. Ok, thats cool. But heres the thing...It had rained all day and each tee pad was concrete. I winced every time he tee'd off. He ate dirt pretty hard twice.

I still like concrete tees more than other kinds, but I do agree that multiple tees are better than multiple pin positions.

ERic
I agree totally. Multiple pins make it hard to even know where the basket is. Have as many tees as you like but leave the pin alone.

ERic

I agree totally. Multiple pins make it hard to even know where the basket is. Have as many tees as you like but leave the pin alone.

Just out of curiosity, have either of you played Tyler State Park in PA? Tyler features several pin locations on each hole, but they have a block of wood with the pin positions and it is set to let you know what pin position the basket is in when you tee off. What do you think of multiple pin positions if there is a system like this in place at the course?

Just out of curiosity, have either of you played Tyler State Park in PA? Tyler features several pin locations on each hole, but they have a block of wood with the pin positions and it is set to let you know what pin position the basket is in when you tee off. What do you think of multiple pin positions if there is a system like this in place at the course?
Nope never played there.

Not sure what you mean by "block of wood". But DeLeavega does something similar with little pinwheels on the tee sign posts. Check out the pictures of signs on holes: 1, 2, 4-7, 11, 15, 16, 18, 19, or 24-26.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=35&mode=gal

That's better than nothing. But how do you know if they're correct, or if some punk kids came through and messed with all of them?

The only way I think I'd really like multiple pin positions is if they all had baskets simultaneously and you could really pick the one to which you wanted to play.

Even if there's a position indicator, as was mentioned earlier you're still at the mercy of playing just one layout on any given day. Multiple tees give you the flexibility to play different layouts all the time.

Not a big deal, not a "review con", just a preference of mine.

ERic

Yes, what DeLavega has is exactly what I was talking about.

That's better than nothing. But how do you know if they're correct, or if some punk kids came through and messed with all of them?
Even if there's a position indicator, as was mentioned earlier you're still at the mercy of playing just one layout on any given day. Multiple tees give you the flexibility to play different layouts all the time.
ERic

Suprisingly they are rarely wrong or messed up - I guess we dont have that many punk kids around here ;)
I totally understand the detractor of being only able to play one layout a day ... I guess I never really thought about it because I play Tyler at least once a week so by now Ive played every possible position for every hole ... but for a person who can only play it once or twice that would stink. Actually as I think of it ... it would really stink becuse some of the best longer pin positions are rarely placed in them.
-FB

If you like to track your scores and/or progress the randomly rotating pin assignments can be a big negative from that perspective too....

"How'd you shoot today?"

"57."

"Is that good?"

"Hmmm... I don't know. Lemme see: #4 was in the long position, #8 was in the long, but #9-11 were in the short spots, #13 was behind the tree line this time.... I guess I don't know I've probably never played that configuration before."

It'd be especially tough to track on DGCR because you have to update the course's Hole Info page to change pin positions before you record each round in your Scorebook... or manually type in each distance.

Yeah, I like multiple tees better.

ERic

Thats very true. Ive actually given up trying to track that in DGCR ... especially the distances/pin positions. Par is different every week ;) Id have to agree, it seems like multiple tees would be better. I like having control over the choice as opposed to being at the mercy of the key-holder.

Latest posts