• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

50 in 50

Kind of the problem with the "hit the corners" strategy is that you have to make long drives to get to the next series of courses.

But you can drive during the night hours. By clustering play at the corners, you can maximize your play during daylight, then drive after sunset.

But you can drive during the night hours. By clustering play at the corners, you can maximize your play during daylight, then drive after sunset.

Plus, if you are clustering 2-3 courses in a single day with that strategy, you're giving yourself an extra day or two in which you can travel with no play and still maintain a 50-in-50 pace. The only way I see such an endeavor getting into trouble is if the pace falls below one state per day, necessitating having to play multiple states in a day to "catch up".

Well yeah, but you have to sleep sometime. Some of those western state clusters are going to take all night to get there.

Its definitely possible. I did a roadtrip a few years ago when I got out of college from Seattle to Chicago for 2 1/2 weeks. It was really exhausting, but after 2 weeks on the road and a fresh bed at the University of Kansas awaiting we hit 5 states(South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas) in one day. Sounds like a cool trip. Best of luck to him.

He should have hooked up with the Melvins

"Fresh off releasing their 21st studio album, Freak Puke, today; the mighty sludgemasters in the Melvins are taking their streak of restlessness to ridiculous extremes. In their "Melvins Lite" trio line-up featuring nimble Bungle bassist Trevor Dunn, the band is going to attempt to hit all 50 states (and D.C.!) in 51 days, hoping to break the Guinness World Record for "Fastest Tour of the United States." Says leader King Buzzo in a statement, "We figured it was time for us to do something really crazy... Jeez! I wonder if we can do it?"

http://www.spin.com/articles/melvins-attempt-guinness-world-record-play-51-dates-all-50-states

This has gotten me thinking...I think I would start in Maine. The southernmost 18-hole course is Boom Field. Start at sunup (say 6:00am), play a quick round there (~60 minutes), be on the road to Bellamy Park, arriving by 8am. A round there (again, ~60 minutes) and then you could get to Amesbury Pines by 10am.

So that's 3 courses and 3 states crossed off an it's not even noon. There are three more states with a course within a 3ish hour drive of Amesbury. I think I'd head towards Vermont, and hit Austine to make 4 in a day. I'd end the day by beelining to Rhode Island for the night.

Day 2 would start bright and early at Ninigret Park. From there, I'd head into CT and hit any of the courses right along I-95. The goal would be to hit the NY border by noon with two courses under the belt. Then I'd play FDR or Kisco before moving on to NJ.

There, there's 8 states in two days, building in a good six day cushion for some of the big western states and/or Hawaii and Alaska. No doubt PA/MD/DE/VA could be done in a single day as well, adding another 3 days worth of leeway.

Good stuff, except you picked a crappy place to start in Boom field. There are several MUCH better courses (Pleasant Hill, BAP, Woodland Valley) nearby to start off on a better note. Bellamy would be an awesome choice for NH though!

Good stuff, except you picked a crappy place to start in Boom field. There are several MUCH better courses (Pleasant Hill, BAP, Woodland Valley) nearby to start off on a better note. Bellamy would be an awesome choice for NH though!

I don't disagree, but as I said, I chose the southernmost course. The purpose of the trek isn't necessarily playing quality courses, it's playing a course in each state and minimize inefficient drive time. So in the spirit of trying to play courses that are in relatively close proximity despite state lines between them, I chose the one that would result in the shortest drive from it to the next (Bellamy).

Theoretically, I could have chosen any of a dozen courses in MA too, any of those that would be "on the way" to the next state/course. I chose Amesbury simply because it's short, it's just off the highway, and it's the closest MA course to Bellamy.

I don't disagree, but as I said, I chose the southernmost course. The purpose of the trek isn't necessarily playing quality courses, it's playing a course in each state and minimize inefficient drive time. So in the spirit of trying to play courses that are in relatively close proximity despite state lines between them, I chose the one that would result in the shortest drive from it to the next (Bellamy).

Theoretically, I could have chosen any of a dozen courses in MA too, any of those that would be "on the way" to the next state/course. I chose Amesbury simply because it's short, it's just off the highway, and it's the closest MA course to Bellamy.

Fair enough. Are you only hitting 18+ hole courses or do 9 holers count? If 9 holers are in the offing, Gowen Park would be the closest to Bellamy in driving time.

I must be in the minority after reading this thread. When I play a course I like I'd usually much rather stay and play it 2-3 times before moving on to another. I did 5 days in Charlotte in February, 7 rounds and only ended up playing 3 courses.. More for next year!

Larry is a great guy . . . he came to the league I have played in for 4 years straight while on his venture this past year and I even let him crash at my house after league. I went home to go to bed and he went downtown to meet more people and talk disc golf. He has an unending supply of energy because when he got to my house at 3 AM he still was all excited. It will be a costly venture for sure and I am almost positive someone will climb on there for sponsorship.

I do agree with Martin though, when I am on a roadtrip I want as much disc golf as I can possibly play, I don't think I could stand to bypass so many great courses. Even I have limits to course bagging.

With that said he is raising his own bar so it makes sense for what he is doing. 50 in 10 years the first time to 50 in 1 year (actually only 10 months) to 50 in 50.

I have communicated with him a handful of times and am all in support of this venture . .. it actually helped me affirm my desire to have played every course in WI by the end of 2013. I think I can hit the 50+ courses I haven't played although it will take quite a few weekend getaways since almost all of them are 3-7 hours away.

He is also able to get military flights to AK and HI to help him accomplish this goal. Apparently if there is room on a flight he can hitch a ride.

Latest posts