• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

9-hole Course Clayton, GA

Sadjo

* Ace Member *
I was given a check yesterday to purchase 9 Discatchers for a short course in Clayton, GA. I have been trying to get a course in this community since 2003. It's where I work and one time lived. It will be the first course in the Rabun County...the most Northeast county in Georgia.

We got approval over two years ago but couldn't get the funding. Finally a Boy Scout adopted the project as his Eagle Scout project and raised the money.

The design is a short, rather easy course. Decided to go with an easier design with the idea of it being the first and only course in the area that it needs to be more of a fun course. However, more experienced players can play some optional long tees for more of a challenge.

Course should be in the ground within a month.

Awesome!
I was reading @ the course on the ADGO site. I didn't realize that you were the designer.

By the way, we'll be in your area next week camping at Mistletoe...

Awesome!
I was reading @ the course on the ADGO site. I didn't realize that you were the designer.

By the way, we'll be in your area next week camping at Mistletoe...

I'm not sure where Mistletoe is. There are tons of campsites in the area. Two different campgrounds have request info on Disc Golf in the past. Maybe we'll have a campground with a course one day in this area.

Went out to the property to put flags in the ground so the scout can have a layout to follow. The city dumped a absolute ton of broken up gravel and cement along what was going to be hole 2 and parts of hole 3.

Then as I walked other parts of the property I see a several dozen bee hives. Found out that someone requested property to start making local honey and the city gave them some of the property they already gave to this course.

I'm going to meet with the city manager this week to get the complete story. Might have move the course to another location in the community.

Installation begins on Saturday. Hopefully we'll have enough volunteers to get all baskets and tee markers in the ground.

Went yesterday to walk the property one last time...to make sure there would be no issues. Saw where the city has decided to dump piles of broken concrete where the end of hole 2 is suppose to be and the tee for hole 3 is suppose to be. Met with the city manager and she told me they had no idea that's where the part of the course would go...even though we went before the city council and had the design approved.

So this Friday afternoon we will do a complete redesign of the course. There's just no way to get around where the piles of concrete are.

After you finish your new layout, it might be a good idea to have the city manager walk the property with you before installation. Getting the P&R managers out to see things in person can make a huge difference, since maps don't always convey accurate impressions like you expect.

I walk with her today. We talked several options and being this property isn't used for anything right now, I've been given free range with design. Biggest issues is to not ever be throwing toward the City Hall building and not toward the road.

This is a small town with no parks department. No actual park intown. This property was aquired when the city bought an old school building from the school district. The property was where ball field, playgound and walking trails were before the district sold.

New design is done and the course is flagged. Digging nine holes tomorrow and will be installing the sleeves. TEes will be ready by mid week.

Baskets will be in tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon. Before final tees are marked, we will play several rounds to see if there are any safety concerns. Tee boxes will be built in a couple of weeks.

Course is playable. Baskets are in. Tees are marked with landscape flags. Tee boxes will be built next weekend. Crushed rock for now. Second tees for a longer course and a bit more challenging will be added in the spring.

The basket are the new Innova Pro 28 baskets. Very nice baskets.

Eagle Creek is now official open. We will have a ribbon cutting with the Chamber of Commerce and others sometime in the new year. Baskets are in, tees are marker. We will be building tee boxes over the next couple of weekends and designing signs. Tee areas are currently marked by landscape flags.

Yesterday a co-worker wanted to see the course (which is right behind City Hall and the police department) so we went out their at 4pm. It wasn't but a few minutes and a police officer joined us, then the police chief and then an officer from the County Marshall's office. They all played and asked where they can buy discs.

It won't be long until the conversation around the police department isn't about that investigation but how much you lowered your handicap since last week.

Attachments

• 100_9728.jpg
    100_9728.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 19
Tee boxes were built Monday. City has said they will pour concrete for us....which is real nice considering we were going with crushed rock. Once tee pads finished, course should all but complete.

It's good to read that things are going well for you. Keep getting those policemen hooked on disc golf, and you could have growing demand for more courses in the area! :thmbup:

They not only poured the regular tees but are now in the process of building and pouring the long tees we marked. We never asked for that, so it is a bonus.

I can only hope we have a similar experience in my community as we continue to try to get approval for a course.