• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

9x, 12x, etc explained please?

tomkat

Bogey Member
Still very new to most of this, but learning as I go ... I see discs listed with symbols as noted above (12 times, etc) and really have no idea of the significance or what it means ... thanks!

I see .. thank you .. is there a preferrence or significance from one era compared to another ??

Still very new to most of this, but learning as I go ... I see discs listed with symbols as noted above (12 times, etc) and really have no idea of the significance or what it means ... thanks!
Those are Innova Ken Climo discs. He won 12 world championships, so his latest discs are 12x. The 9x, 10x, etc. are earlier runs, and a lot of avid players believe they all have different grip and flight characteristics. This is especially true with Rocs which have sort of a cult following. To make it even more complicated, Rocs have bottom stamps with the city where they were made -- Rancho Cucamonga, San Marino or Ontario, and each of those is considered unique too. It's confusing as hell, honestly. :)

I have questions about Innova discs too...there is something called Champion Edition which are highly sought after, but I'm not sure of the story with those. Then there are the limited edition discs they make for the U.S. DG Championships -- not sure if those are the CE discs, and I'm very curious to know how/when I could buy some of the 2015 models.

Yeah older discs can ve worth a premium in the innova market. Some older 10x and 11x or earlier KC discs are saught out by players.

I see .. thank you .. is there a preferrence or significance from one era compared to another ??

yes, but not really if that makes sense. The older stuff- generally 9x and earlier is obsolete from a plastic technology standpoint. People generally hold 11x in a higher standard than 12x. Some of it's actual preference, some of its "coolness". I carry both an 11x teebird and firebird and have for a while. They're broken in and fit my throw.

I wouldnt really recommend a beginner to seek out any older "boutique" kind of stuff.

Thank you ... I have quickly become a fan of the current DX Rocs I have, so I can see where they would have developed a following over the years ..

Which ever era a person really likes at the time. Plastic blends and molds both change slightly over time. The 9x 10x stuff is an easy way to identify what time frame it came from. There are other ways to identify time frames, like what tooling is on the bottom of the disc or if it has a different stamp then current production. People get hooked on certain blends or runs of discs, and when they change they don't like the newer runs, so they seek out ways to identify the earlier time frame and seek those discs out. After a while it takes on a life of its own and it just has value purely because people deem it valuable. A lot of people don't realize that one of the reasons 11x drivers were sought after initially was because they were very clear plastic, and innova changed to making opaque champion plastic. Now innova makes clear champion plastic again and certain molds of the opaque champion plastic are valuable to the people who love those versions. Its really quite something.

Are the USDGC discs only available at the tournament or online too?

They're only available as tournament fundraisers before the event if you want to pay retail price. After that they are available from disc collectors on the secondary market and the prices will vary widely based on which ones people are after.

They're only available as tournament fundraisers before the event if you want to pay retail price. After that they are available from disc collectors on the secondary market and the prices will vary widely based on which ones people are after.
Okay cool, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and buy off the shelf.

^ That.

Discs made today fly just as well as a 10x blah blah blah. Buying that stuff is for hipsters and the wannabe fashionable.

11x plastic has a little bit of tree love and a whole lot of confidence blended into the polymers :popcorn:

11x is generally more stable/over stable, flatter dome, and much more durable than 12x, maybe due to Innova having higher quality control standards 10+ years ago. If they're pumping out 10 times the volume of discs nowadays, one can expect inconsistency from various runs.

I've been playing for 20 years so I threw all those discs when they were out. No matter how nicely the felt/flew, none of them ever jumped out of my bag and flung itself into the basket. You still have to throw them. It's much easier to buy stock discs and learn how to throw than it is to look for a magic disc that throws itself*.

*hint: there is no magic disc that throws itself.

Latest posts