• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] A c-pd with less fade would be...?

jjmiller

Eagle Member
I know teebirds are supposed to maintain hss while eventually having some of the fade beaten out of them. I like my two c-pd's, but wondering if they will maintain hss and eventually lose fade since they're supposedly the "longer teebird." If not, is there another disc that has that great hss but less turn? A p-pd maybe? Thunderbird? Something else?

I'd guess most PPD's will have some turn out of the box or else develop some pretty quick. Maybe an SPD although I don't throw a lot of PDs so someone else on here may know better. I'd say Thunderbird would probably be my choice.

How far do you throw Teebirds/C-PD's and distance drivers?

I personally don't think S or C PD's are the fadeless disc of claims unless severely beat and/or you have a pretty decent arm.

Most runs of C-PD will eventually beat into a place where they lose very little HSS, but will start to lose that hard fade and develop more of a forward fade. That could definitely take a while though, especially depending on which runs you're throwing.

If you're looking for a PD-like disc with less fade, the S-PD is a logical choice. Even better if you can find pat#'s since the newer S-lines seem to pickup a little bit of turn fairly quickly. Either way though, fresh S-PDs still have solid HSS with less LSS than the C-PDs start off with.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know how far I'm throwing. The course I play doesn't have distances marked. Have two escapes, one fusion and one fluid- both 172's, I believe. The fusion turns too much and the fluid turns a little and then fades at the end almost as much as a pd. Goes a bit further, though...

Nice to see someone verify that a c-pd might lose some fade without picking up a bunch of turn. That's ultimately what I'd like to have in the bag.

I wouldn't do a ppd for that. Those will inevitably develop turn AND lose fade. (Can be useful to bag in a cycle however.)

But yeah once a cpd get to that spot it's awesome and will stay there, but it takes time. But a spd will get there quicker and even starting with less fade while maintaining that good high speed stability.

Keep in mind if you're living at high elevation you may have your discs act much more stable than most people are used to.

I can vouch for S-PD losing the hooking fade while still having good HSS/minor hint of turn, and being less beefy than C-PD, but I still believe they take a good arm to get to do that properly.

A cpd with less fade is beat.

If you want that fresh out of the box, a gpd is a great start. It'll start out straight to gentle fade, pick up some turn as it beats and lose some fade, but not as fast as a ppd while not remaining beefy as long as a c or s line.

I personally think it's the best compromise between the workability of p line and the desired extra stability of the premium plastics.

S Line is what you want eventually....but it's still going to take a really long time to beat them.

Last edited:
I can vouch for S-PD losing the hooking fade while still having good HSS/minor hint of turn, and being less beefy than C-PD, but I still believe they take a good arm to get to do that properly.

This is true. I have a pat # PD I threw. Lot last year and it still doesn't turn but it holds straight much longer than it used to. Great disc.

The newest run of S PDs on the Discmania store website is at least as beefy as the pat # if not more. You could beat one of those into a good point more quickly than a C line and pair them together.

The DD is as stable or more stable than a PD. IMO I love PDs but I have always thrown S line. I have a soft spot for star like plastic because it wears in more predictably and slightly faster. I have S lines that I can throw on a frozen rope about 400-420'. The c lines I have are considerably more LSS.

I would say thunderbird. I have C- Line PD and a Champion Thunderbird that go really well together.

If you want reliable fade but not as much as a C-Line PD then a champion thunderbird would last longer in that spot.

Cant wait to try out the one i just got.. will be comparing it to a thunderbird, convict, and h3

the few [C -CD2] I had flew like my beat in patent # S-PD. I liked it but didn't want another mold in the bag already having my seasoned S-PD.

The DD is as stable or more stable than a PD. IMO I love PDs but I have always thrown S line. I have a soft spot for star like plastic because it wears in more predictably and slightly faster. I have S lines that I can throw on a frozen rope about 400-420'. The c lines I have are considerably more LSS.

Not even close if you ask me.

I know teebirds are supposed to maintain hss while eventually having some of the fade beaten out of them. I like my two c-pd's, but wondering if they will maintain hss and eventually lose fade since they're supposedly the "longer teebird." If not, is there another disc that has that great hss but less turn? A p-pd maybe? Thunderbird? Something else?

I'll start by saying that if you're looking for worn dx teebird flight - hyzer flip to straight with very little fade - in a higher speed driver you're probably going to find the holy grail before you find a disc that can do that.

With that being said, I think you'd find a cFD would be better for the shot you're looking for. Then again, if you're looking for that speed of disc, you're probably better off with a teebird anyway.

Personally I find a lot of use for straighter shots with the pPD. Sure, there's a bit of high speed turn, but there's substantially less fade with the PLine when compared to S or C line.

Last edited:
I like my gstar PDs. But that is all I know about the pds. The choice on that one was for winter plastic not necessarily the mold.