• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A couple of Charlotte course questions.

MountainMan

Bogey Member
Hopefully, my brother and I will be Charlotte in a couple weeks to do some disc golfing. We are both intermediate level players. Here are the courses we are looking to play -

Nevin Park
Robert L. Smith
Bradford Park
Dry Creek
Robbins

Here are some questions I'm hoping locals can help us out with. We will be there over a Fr,Sa,Su (March 31-April 2). Are some of these courses a lot busier than others? Any suggestions on which ones (or alternate suggestions) might not too bad on a Saturday or Sunday?

Since our time is limited, which of these are close to one another if we try to bag two a day?

Finally, any courses not on our list that we shouldn't miss? I've purposely left off Renaissance Gold, since its length and our skill level makes me think it wouldn't match up all that well.

Thanks for any help!

You shouldn't have any trouble getting all five of those courses in two days if you're throwing all day. Most of the courses in the area are close enough to each other that you won't spend a ton of time in the car. RL and Bradford are fun spins.

I haven't been to the area since 2013, but I enjoyed the Beavers (Angry and Eager at Elon Park), Winget, Kilborne, and Winget. If it's open again, Hornets Nest was an absolute blast.

IIRC, the only regular league you could run into is Sunday Dubs at Bradford, so Saturday would be better for going there. Besides that, unless you happen to be in town when there's some tourney at one of the others, you should have no problems.

charlottedgc.com should answer any questions about upcoming events.

Nevin Park
Robert L. Smith
Bradford Park
Dry Creek
Robbins

Robbins and Bradford are quite close to each other. Smith and Nevin aren't too far apart (though that's a tiring day.)

Dry Creek is sort of an odd man out, in terms of where it is...But probably easier to get to from Smith/Nevin than Bradford/Robbins.

Oh, and all 5 of these are pretty good courses. Hard to knock the choices here.

Last edited:
Crowds at these are hit or miss. I've never left any of them because it's too crowded. Only Nevin sticks out to me as less crowded since the difficulty keeps people away.

2 in a day? You can pair any of them, but Robert L Smith to Dry Creek is the longest drive.
Nevin/Robert L Smith
Bradford/Robbins
Dry Creek is a good course, but it doesn't motivate me to drive north to play it. I usually drive south to Nevin if looking for a different challenge.

I'd say to hit the new Hornet's Nest, but it'll be newly re-opened and has a B-Tier that Saturday.

You could think about skipping Dry Creek and doing Eastway instead, it's probably more convenient and not all that dissimilar. Just tossing that out there.

I'd say to hit the new Hornet's Nest, but it'll be newly re-opened and has a B-Tier that Saturday.

What can folks tell me about that course? I don't see it listed, but I know I've heard about it in the past.

What can folks tell me about that course? I don't see it listed, but I know I've heard about it in the past.

Basically the entire back 9 played along/across a Gas Company right of way, which they widened last year, so basically the entire back 9, which was the "woodsier" side, had to be largely redesigned.

Plus, randomly, #2, which was lost to a playground install. So it was basically a 'park course' front 9, wooded back 9. Probably will still have that feeling.

One of the older courses in Charlotte, and for a long time it was the hardest.

You could think about skipping Dry Creek and doing Eastway instead, it's probably more convenient and not all that dissimilar. Just tossing that out there.

If you play Eastway or Sugaw (which is used in most Charlotte tournaments) you are very close to Charlotte's only dedicated DG shop, Another Round. They always have 3 or 4 beers on tap and a must visit on a DG trip to Charlotte.

Hopefully, my brother and I will be Charlotte in a couple weeks to do some disc golfing. We are both intermediate level players. Here are the courses we are looking to play -

Nevin Park
Robert L. Smith
Bradford Park
Dry Creek
Robbins

Here are some questions I'm hoping locals can help us out with. We will be there over a Fr,Sa,Su (March 31-April 2). Are some of these courses a lot busier than others? Any suggestions on which ones (or alternate suggestions) might not too bad on a Saturday or Sunday?

Since our time is limited, which of these are close to one another if we try to bag two a day?

Finally, any courses not on our list that we shouldn't miss? I've purposely left off Renaissance Gold, since its length and our skill level makes me think it wouldn't match up all that well.

Thanks for any help!

No comment on Robbins or Dry Creek, I have not played them.

RL Smith is a good course with a lot of variety. Bit of a hike compared to your typical course, just a heads up. Good time of year to play it, the bugs get bad later on. Its not an easy course, but its not really difficult either. Should be a fun challenge.

Bradford is pretty solid. It didn't really have anything terribly memorable to me but I remember enjoying myself. Couple of open holes but mostly wooded Charlotte holes. Bit easier than RL from what I remember.

Nevin is a beast. I don't know if they have shorter tees (I always play the longest option) but I think its pretty difficult. I'd put it up there with Angry Beaver and Renny Gold...its definitely more wooded than the latter. I haven't played it in a while so my memory is fuzzy, but I don't ever remember it feeling unfair. Its just punishing if you miss your line, and wooded throughout most holes.

Courses that are good to hit up back to back?

RL & Renny or Winget.

Eastway & Sugaw.

Bradley Center & Rankin Lake.

Winget & Winthrop.

Chester State Park, Elon Park or Renaissance Park (All three have multiple courses on site that are all worth playing).

Courses I think you should consider:

Renny. Yes, Gold is a tough course. But, for me, its easier than some of the other tougher Charlotte courses. Most other hard Charlotte courses are long and heavily wooded. Renny gold is long and half open, half moderately wooded. That makes it more forgiving than Angry Beaver or Nevin. It's a very diverse course and in my opinion its Charlottes most well rounded. Too many Charlotte courses are 18 holes in the woods, and it get repetitive. Renny breaks that mold while staying away from feeling too open and boring like Frank Liske can. I would give it a shot. Plus you can play Renske. Its a fun 18 hole course that for me is all putter and midrange holes. If you get frustrated at the Gold course you could ditch it for Renske at hole 11...you'll know whether or not Gold is for you by the half-way point.

Winget. I think Winget is the best short 18 hole course in Charlotte. Most holes are 200-300' par 3's. They're pretty much all wooded save for 2 or 3 more open shots. Couple of ace runs. Lots of diverse lines...left right and straight. Not many hidden pins, mostly flat and very simple navigation....its very quick to play and next to a lot of good courses. Its also next to one of the best BBQ restaurants in town, Jim N Nicks. Head there for a double decker and mashed potatoes after your round :thumbup:

Goat Island. I've only played here once but it was a very ideal disc golf experience. Moderately wooded, well defined fairways in a picturesque park setting. Good mix of length and lines, with a moderate challenge throughout the entire course. If you play Winget or RL, its close to both.

Chester State Park Technically not Charlotte, but less than an hour away. Gorgeous State Park with two courses on the property. The longer courses is less challenging than Charlotte's toughest courses, but not a whole lot easier. Its definitely one that calls for a wide variety of lines, so its good if you throw both BH and FH (True for most charlotte courses). The 18 hole course is very good, and very pretty. The 9 hole short course was a little lackluster. Some holes just weren't that great, but then a few were really fun for the type of course it is.

If you go to my youtube channel I have videos of a lot of charlotte courses. If you type in a course it should pop up. www.youtube.com/thediscgolfvids I don't think photos always give you enough perspective on how a hole plays.

Last edited:
I was going to edit that Sugaw & Eastway would be a good combo to play. They're great for players of your skill level IMO, and located conveniently next to one another.

OP, you really CANT go wrong with whatever courses you play. There's a reason there are 25+ courses rated 3.0 or higher within 40 miles of downtown Charlotte. The worst thing you can do is not play enough of the courses. Unless you're busy for more than half of each day you're here, you should try to knock out 4 or more courses one day, and take it easier the other days.

A couple more combos for your consideration:
1. Renny - either Gold or Pro Players layout & Renske. Drive to Elon and play both courses there. Now you've played 4 courses and you've only driven to 2 sites.
2. Canaan Riverbend and Winthrop - Canaan has 2 courses. Riverbend is woefully underrated simply because it's not a CDGC course. Throw in Winthrop's Lakefront layout and you've got 3 courses there.
3. Fox Chase, City Park & Goose Landing - Albemarle is 1 hour east of Charlotte. Three excellent wooded/hilly layouts. This gives you a great feel of North Carolina disc golf, plus there's some good bbq there.

As I mentioned, you're biggest regret will be opting to not play one more course each day. Pick your top 2 or 3 must plays, and fill in the gaps around those courses.

Chester State Park Technically not Charlotte, but less than an hour away. Gorgeous State Park with two courses on the property. The longer courses is less challenging than Charlotte's toughest courses, but not a whole lot easier. Its definitely one that calls for a wide variety of lines, so its good if you throw both BH and FH (True for most charlotte courses). The 18 hole course is very good, and very pretty. The 9 hole short course was a little lackluster. Some holes just weren't that great, but then a few were really fun for the type of course it is.

Chester has a tournament April 2.

If you do Robbins and Bradford, it would be easy to bag Bailey Road on the way from one to the other.

Kilborne, Eastway, and Sugaw would be an easy threefer as well.

I've played all of the above except Sugaw and enjoyed them all. Well, Robbins gave me a beatdown but that wasn't the course's fault. I would play them all again.

A lot of choices and limited time. If looking for courses to skip in favor of others, I'd skip Renske and Bailey Road. Both are good courses, but mostly putter and mid range shots.

A lot of choices and limited time. If looking for courses to skip in favor of others, I'd skip Renske and Bailey Road. Both are good courses, but mostly putter and mid range shots.

I wouldn't go to Renny Park just for Renske, but I feel like its worth playing if you're there for one of the longer layouts.

Ooops, you had said Dry Creek and I was thinking Stumpy Creek. Ignore anything I said about Dry Creek. I've never played it. :doh:

One more question. Right now the forecast looks like it might be rainy that weekend. Any suggestions for which courses to avoid if that's the case?

Eastway and Renny can get muddy and soggy if I remember right. They're two of the more open courses so you won't have as much tree cover (especially Eastway) and Renny has a lot of fast greens that slick when wet.