• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A couple rule questions....

fffishy

Bogey Member
So on a nasty lie the other day I set up to take a shot. Then, when I went back with my arm and disc for a hammer the wing of the disc caught a branch and it came out of my hand. Does it count as a stroke? My arm had backward motion, nothing forward with a disc in hand. No release, just like someone behind me grabbed the disc.

Other question is if they ever changed the rule about a disc that enters the basket through the top. I haven't been counting these.

The sport needs a Brady rule. (See NFL)

:popcorn:

I don't know how to call that. :)

So on a nasty lie the other day I set up to take a shot. Then, when I went back with my arm and disc for a hammer the wing of the disc caught a branch and it came out of my hand. Does it count as a stroke? My arm had backward motion, nothing forward with a disc in hand. No release, just like someone behind me grabbed the disc.

Other question is if they ever changed the rule about a disc that enters the basket through the top. I haven't been counting these.

In tournament play, you could be stroked for that. Casual, probably not.

The disc must enter between the top band and top of basket. No top entry is allowed.

In tournament play, you could be stroked for that. Casual, probably not.

The disc must enter between the top band and top of basket. No top entry is allowed.

Do you mind showing where in the rule book this is? :)

I've got a question...

Let's say the 2m rule is NOT in effect.

A disc in a tree gets marked on the ground directly below, right? So if a disc is resting directly above the basket wouldn't you still have to mark your lie on the ground and take another stroke to hole out?

If you dropped the disc in your backswing motion, it's not a stroke.
QA12: Is a Drop a Throw?
Q: My throwing hand bumped a tree branch during my backswing knocking the disc to the ground, and the disc rolled forward of my lie. Was that a throw?
A: No. The throw begins when movement of the disc in the intended direction begins. A disc dropped or knocked out before or during a backswing does not count as a throw.
Applicable Rules: 800 Definitions ("Throw")

About the putt:
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to
hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains and/or the inner cylinder (bottom and inside wall) of the tray. It may be additionally supported by the pole. A disc observed by two or more players of the group or an official to have entered the target below the top of the tray or above the bottom of the chain support is not holed out.