• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A few questions about Baskets (Wholesale/Homemade)

Grip N Rip

Par Member
We have a struggling ranch owner interested in a course on his unused land. It's up to us to design, build and supply materials. We've thrown around the idea to make our own baskets with the same material used on legitimate pins. We'll most likely throw fundraising events and find sponsors to purchase 18 new baskets.

Does anyone know a distributor that has decent prices? Or of a course shutting down in the Philadelphia/West Jersey/Delaware area? OR have blueprints for a nice homemade basket? Any help will be much appreciated. Our goal is to help the ranch and spread the joy of disc golf.

Some important details to be determined before this gets too far along:

- once the baskets (made or purchased) are in the ground, who will own them?
- If its not the landowner, then what are the agreements in place if the owning entity (club, or some nebulous group of "the players") want to take them back or relocate to another venue if this one doesn't work out, or if a conflict arises?

If possible draft up something more than a handshake, or some mumbled words in passing.

I am keying in on the word usage of struggling ranch owner - thats only a breath away from prior land owner

Thanks for the good input and concern Royal Hill. We're in the works of an agreement. I was just shopping around for a good deal on 18-20 baskets. Also we have plans for I little putt putt course. On the putt putt we plan to make our own baskets.

Thanks for the good input and concern Royal Hill. We're in the works of an agreement. I was just shopping around for a good deal on 18-20 baskets. Also we have plans for I little putt putt course. On the putt putt we plan to make our own baskets.

I believe that there is not too much profit in basket manufacturing, at least for those doing small scale builds. Doing it on the cheap does indeed ultimately lead to many compromises that will come full circle. That drops out many small manufacturers/fabricators cause they can't squeeze out much margin without going for a bit higher premium. Unless there happens to be one of the small fabricators really local where shipping is taken out of the cost equation.

That leaves the big boys (the usuals) plus a few others for choices. I've heard some wholesalers, like disc nation may have a "house brand" basket, and may be more open to price negotiation.

However, if you are to do it right, then consider one of the "course packages" from your favorite manufacturer that matches your scope of use and comit to fundraising to match the goal. Buying one at a time would of course ultimately cost the most, but do what you gotta do.

For making your own for the pitch and putt - make a call to action and see what skills you have in your player network. If all your skills is in woodworking, don't try and do those baskets in metal work, and vice versa. Find out what skill is there, what resources are available, and make it fun. If its a pitch and putt why not go for quirky style, while going polished for the main 18.

Among considerations are, What kind of course are you intending, Who is expected to play it, and How much does durability matter?

If the aspirations are for a high-quality course for more serious disc golfers, then inferior baskets will be a detriment. But for lots of course uses, less-than-top-quality will suffice.

Will it be private or public course? Will this be a Pay-To-Play course to help with the ranchers bills or will it be Free-Play?