• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] A Longer Mako?

A beat leopard. If you can't find a beat one, I'd get a DX and a Pro. Champ takes a looooong time to beat in. At the rate I lose discs, I mostly just use DX.

For reference, I throw a Star Mako and a Mako3.

When, I'm looking for a line that is damned near laser straight like my Star Mako's flight path, I disc up to an S-line Jackal. Works really well for me. I'd say a newish S-line or a beat up C-line would be described as a longer Mako. It's what I'd do.

S line fd was my first thought.

Have to agree we these guys, closest I have ever seen in the S-line FD. I love the C-lines, but they are not mako-like at all to me, you would have to beat the snot out of a C to get the stability even marginally close. The S-FDs like to fly on any line, have sneaky long glide, and the fade is not that strong, more forward than hooking.

I've rotated a Star TL in and out of my bag for over a year without a lot of fanfare but then, last month, I found a 164g Star TL beat nearly beyond recognition. Naturally, I decided to toss it around, found it to be quite a bit less stable than my newer one, bla bla bla. However, where it really shines is with a major overpower throw - outer wing way, way, down.

It's useless into the wind but outside of that, with a 45-50 degree wing down, RHBH, full power (over power for this disc) drive, the beat TL will turn smoothly about 50' from left to right before leveling out 35-45' before landing relatively flat and soft. On this line, it's nearly my longest disc at a consistent 350-375'. Simply put, this disc goes places no other disc I have will and has become indispensible for at least one hole on most courses that I play.

Last edited:
I suggest you try a Latitude 64 River as your driver. Some might consider it understable, but I throw it straight, or with a hyser too. I use Makos as my putters, so I know where you are coming from. I tried using the Mako 3 as my putter, but find I prefer both the star plastic, and the slower speed of the Mako.

Will be field testing some discs tomorrow, let´s see if i have the answer already in my bag, or i can find a excuse to get some new plastic :)

For reference, I throw a Star Mako and a Mako3.

Barely longer - Cobra, Core, Squall, Axis, M3, Buzzz.
Longer - Zombee, Eclipse.
Much Longer - Orion LS, Valkyrie.

I was going to mention the zombie, great disc use it for stuff that I can't quite reach with a buzz or just want to be able to throw a little easier.

Not just asking (What's a over all straight flyer) It's what disc is a longer version/has same flight style of a MAKO. a Leopard is a slightly understable fairway...so....I guess so. but. I have thrown soooo many and the ZOMBEE really is like a 0 disc. Much like the mako...it has a lot of Glide...like a Mako....and it is controlled and can be finessed.

OP ZOMBEE....final answer

and yes I know zombee is rated a 1. but it has a thicker rim, glide top, goes understable high speed, comes back a little low speed

I would really just try out the Mako 3. It does go farther then a regular Mako. It is just a tad more stable in the High Speed Stability. Awesome disc. Point and throw straight.

Went to a soccer field today to test some of my stuff out.
The River really is a valid option. Goes nice and straight, a little bit of turn and then a little bit of fade but overall really straight.
Diamond works just as fine, if i hyzer flip it.
I guess i have a good set up for straight shots, might be testing some other discs out but so far the Rivers and Diamonds i own should do the trick.

Not just asking (What's a over all straight flyer) It's what disc is a longer version/has same flight style of a MAKO. a Leopard is a slightly understable fairway...so....I guess so. but. I have thrown soooo many and the ZOMBEE really is like a 0 disc. Much like the mako...it has a lot of Glide...like a Mako....and it is controlled and can be finessed.

OP ZOMBEE....final answer

Zombee is alright, but turns and fades a bit more than the Mako. Cyclone doesn't turn as much, and is a little faster than a Zombee. It fades more than a Mako too, but I haven't found a driver that fades that little.

Went to a soccer field today to test some of my stuff out.
The River really is a valid option. Goes nice and straight, a little bit of turn and then a little bit of fade but overall really straight.
Diamond works just as fine, if i hyzer flip it.
I guess i have a good set up for straight shots, might be testing some other discs out but so far the Rivers and Diamonds i own should do the trick.

Good response. :clap:

I love finding new shots with discs I enjoy throwing.