• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A non-PDGA Legal Tip for Winter Grip

arodsteezy

Par Member
Disclaimer: This method is definitely not PDGA approved so do not do this if you plan on attending any tournaments or leagues. However this can be reversed so you can still use the discs afterwards.

813.01 Illegal Disc

Last updated: Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 09:47

1. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

2. A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded, or painted with a material of detectable thickness, are illegal. Adding a device to make a disc easier to find (for example, a light, ribbon, or chalk dust) is allowed only when night or snow play has been announced by the Director.

3. A disc which is cracked or has a hole in it is illegal.

4. A disc that is questioned by another player or an Official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.

5. A player who throws an illegal disc during play receives two penalty throws. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.03 of the PDGA Competition Manual.

6. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player receives a warning for the first throw of an unmarked disc. A player receives one penalty throw for each subsequent throw of an unmarked disc.

So if you're like me, winter disc golf is very irritating when you discs feel like glass and slip out of your hand on any given throw. I have discovered a method of reliably providing grip in cold conditions. I have found that birdie bags help more for wet conditions while this helps for cold conditions.

It's a very simple process and I'll walk you through it with a few simple steps.

1. Purchase a grip stick, commonly used for baseball bats. I used a synthetic grip material - Champro Grip Stick - I figured pine tar would be overkill but I'm sure it would work just the same.

2. Apply a liberal amount to the inner rim of the disc and a little bit around the bottom rim (part that touches the ground)

3. A little bit goes a very long way so what we are going to do is remove most of the sticky stuff. Fill up your sink with some very hot water. You may want to boil some water on the stove to get it hot enough. Not so hot that it warps your discs though so add some cold water too.

4. Soak your discs in the water and get them nice and hot. Grab a clean cloth and wipe it off as completely as possible. As I mentioned earlier you don't want too much on there, it should be barely noticeable, if at all. Basically, it fills in all the microscopic little holes in the plastic but it won't feel too tacky.

5. Profit??????

If you plan on attending a tournament, I was able to completely remove the rest with some acetone. I'm sure rubbing alcohol would also work. Anyways, thanks for reading my guide, I have had some very positive results with this method. Disc on!

(x-post r/discgolf)

Last edited:
i have used glow tape as traction / grip tape. works pretty good.

glow and snow minis and weeklies are not pdga sanctioned in my area. traditionally tape and attached lights do not draw attention or concern in sanctioned league and events during the day.

The GREAT benefit of living in Texas is that winters don't often get that cold (meaning I don't have to worry much about this issue). I can skip the really cold days and still not go weeks at a time without playing.

I use some general Sports gloves some UA gloves that have little mini grip logos on palm side but all over and are warm but about a size larger then I need to use so I can put some thin gloves under, the cotton/poly stretch knit kind. However those gloves stink as I use them for running too and the Fleece polyester on the back of the gloves has never really been able to get odor free as the Poly is now giving off a smell as well due to being dried in dryer a few times. I do not really dry the gloves in dryer much now to keep the grippers on the gloves.

Last edited:
With any semblance of rules thrown out the window, there are lots of possibilities for making better winter scores. Change par, randomly move tee pads, improve your lie, putts don't count toward score....

Maybe they can't afford to buy a whole new set of discs just for a cold season, might surprise some on here but not everyone has a cart or backpack and thousands of dollars of discs laying around.

Given that as the case, I certainly don't suggest trashing your discs with pine tar.

I have used pine tar on my fingers for years. I use it in all seasons and all conditions. However, I would never put pine tar directly on my discs. You only need a small amount of pine tar on your finger tips so you don't get excess tar on your discs. Pine Tar on your fingers is legal and it does help you grip discs, even if they are wet and cold.

I have used pine tar on my fingers for years. I use it in all seasons and all conditions. However, I would never put pine tar directly on my discs. You only need a small amount of pine tar on your finger tips so you don't get excess tar on your discs. Pine Tar on your fingers is legal and it does help you grip discs, even if they are wet and cold.

Definitely this. Why go through the process (reversible or not) of doctoring your discs when you can "doctor" your hands and not have to worry about PDGA/tournament legality at all? The added bonus is that if the pine tar or grip additive is on your fingers, they're just where they need to be when you make a throw. No need to spin the disc to find the doctored spot with just the right "feel" (because no matter how hard you try, the application on the disc probably won't be uniform).

As for the discussion about not being able to afford a "cold" set of discs, I think if you live in a climate where cold is going to be a factor for part of the year, it's not a bad idea to consider the cold conditions when putting your bag together even in the summer. Not really related to grip, but since I live where there's snow on the ground 4-5 months out of the year, I make it a point not to use white discs at all so there's no need to change anything out when the weather turns. One could do the same with their plastic choices so the discs they throw in summer are the same discs they throw in winter.

If you add too much pine tar to your fingers, and some sticks to your discs, does that count as a post-production mod?

If you add too much pine tar to your fingers, and some sticks to your discs, does that count as a post-production mod?

No more than if you slammed into a pine or fir and got pitch on the disc that way. If there's a question, you wipe it off.

The hot water trick really does help get an even coat around the rim of the disc. As to why I don't just put it on my fingers, its just personal preference. If it's really PDGA legal though, I'll probably try it again. I might be a little more particular about how my discs feel than most. I'm not a fan of gstar or wearing gloves on my throwing hand.

I am aware that there are a lot of different ways to grip a disc. This is a method that works for me I'm not too worried what anyone else does just wanted to share. If it's not for you, that's perfectly fine.

Throw snow in the face of people who are shooting.

Classic Blend from DD, XT, Electron, worn DX plastic (IMO), softer plastic.

Latest posts