• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A note about latitude/longitude

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
If you're adding/updating a course, please enter the latitude/longitude of the nearest parking space rather than the first tee. That's how I have 90% of the courses on here marked so that people can use their nav units for point to point directions.

Having the end point in the middle of a field tends to cause trouble with/confuse some devices and you could end up being directed to the wrong area. I've also added a note to the course add page and the update course page to remind people should they plan on adding/updating a course.

Pretty much all the Houston courses have been updated with first tee lat/lon coordinates (prior to your post). That's what was in the PDGA directory and I assumed the same here.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but I prefer first tee coordinates over parking coordinates. For an unknown course it's usually very obvious where to park by looking at a google map of the area. But finding the first tee can be a difficult task sometimes. Thus, I think the first tee location is more valuable.

But if you choose to keep parking lot locations I'll add those in the future. Either way I think the main course page should say "Parking Lot Coordinates" or "First Tee Coordinates" to avoid any confusion, especially if you're different from the PDGA course directory.

Well since most people punch these into their car GPS units, the first tee coordinate become kind of moot since they can't drive their cars to the tees :) I've had problems where my GPS will route me to the other side of a park because there is a road close to the first tee coordinate and then I have to find my own way into the park area/parking lot, etc.

It's not a huge deal one way or the other but I think a location on a road would benefit more people as the first tee is usually described in the course directions if it's tough to find.

It's not a huge deal one way or the other but I think a location on a road would benefit more people as the first tee is usually described in the course directions if it's tough to find.

Agreed. If someone has first tee coordinates, that's great, but my GPS will have me drive over ditches and through trees to get to a first tee. Parking lot coordinates I feel are a must with 1st tee being optional.

Some of us don't have GPS units. We print out the map, drive to the nearest parking area (which is usually obvious from the Google satellite pics), then walk to the tee. My concern is that if we start marking the parking lots which are usually big, obvious asphalt boxes and not marking the tees, which are often just stakes driven into the ground, then people will find the former and not the later.

So I take the opposite position ,that the 1st tee is a must and parking coordinates are optional. I'd rather trust people to know not to follow the GPS when it tells them to drive into a river, unless they happen to be characters on "The Office". :D

When we see that arrow on the map 1/4 mile off the road in the woods we all have the sense to park nearby and walk the last 400 yards. But if the arrow on the map points just to a parking lot, how will we know where to walk to once we're there? Sure detailed directions are nice, but they aren't always there. If I can have only one thing, give me the latitude and longitude of the 1st tee, and I'll figure the rest out.

Some of us don't have GPS units. We print out the map, drive to the nearest parking area (which is usually obvious from the Google satellite pics), then walk to the tee. My concern is that if we start marking the parking lots which are usually big, obvious asphalt boxes and not marking the tees, which are often just stakes driven into the ground, then people will find the former and not the later.

So I take the opposite position ,that the 1st tee is a must and parking coordinates are optional. I'd rather trust people to know not to follow the GPS when it tells them to drive into a river, unless they happen to be characters on "The Office". :D

When we see that arrow on the map 1/4 mile off the road in the woods we all have the sense to park nearby and walk the last 400 yards. But if the arrow on the map points just to a parking lot, how will we know where to walk to once we're there? Sure detailed directions are nice, but they aren't always there. If I can have only one thing, give me the latitude and longitude of the 1st tee, and I'll figure the rest out.

+1 :)

I've never really look at the google maps except to confirm the coordinates if they get updated. I'll usually print out a course map to find the first tee (if a map is available). Usually I just print the course page and put the lat/lon in my GPS. Pre-GPS I might look at the map ahead of time.. I guess I've been spoiled :)

I've removed the little note about setting the coordinates to the nearest parking area so it's your call as to what you'd like to mark.

How about a pull-down box with "Parking Lot" and "First Tee" choices when entering Lat/Lon? That way it should be obvious to people that they should be entering one of those two points. You could then display which one it is on the main course page.

How about a pull-down box with "Parking Lot" and "First Tee" choices when entering Lat/Lon? That way it should be obvious to people that they should be entering one of those two points. You could then display which one it is on the main course page.

Or the option to put both sets of coordinates in if available.

gps

You know, i just might "stimulate the economy" with my irs check and buy a gps unit. i do know the average disc golfer does not have a gps unit available to them. although i think your website may cater more to the travelling disc golfer who may own a gps unit. dont those things cost about 2 to 500$? software not included? i could buy some serious plastic with that kind of money. :):p:)

In the grand scheme of things, it's not really too big of a deal as more often than not, the first tee coordinates are close to the proper parking area. Doing both may not be a bad idea but I think it might end up confusing people and in some cases, being redundant since the two would be so close.

You know, i just might "stimulate the economy" with my irs check and buy a gps unit. i do know the average disc golfer does not have a gps unit available to them. although i think your website may cater more to the travelling disc golfer who may own a gps unit. dont those things cost about 2 to 500$? software not included? i could buy some serious plastic with that kind of money. :):p:)

It really depends on the unit but they can be had for much less than $500 and none of the units require additional software. Mine is built in to my car but now that I've traveled with one I don't think I'd ever want to take another road trip without one. It's so nice to know exactly when and where you have to turn, where restaurants/stores are, etc. No need to worry about getting lost or worrying about finding your way back to the hotel if you decide to venture out. There are a lot of benefits to be had if you travel to areas you're not familiar with.

(and no, I don't work for a GPS company :D)

More and more cell phones have GPS capabilities...like my blackberry...I think the pull down menu is a great idea...if that can't happen, I think the first tee is the best...I read an article about a guy going on a 32 month journey to play every disc golf course in the country and he will GPS the first tee of everyone.
It's frustrating trying to find them sometimes...the course in Whitefish Montana (Smith Lake) is very tough to find with the written directions...I drove around for an hour looking for it and never found it...

P.S. If there are any MT locals on here, can you give me better directions--next time I'm up visiting my in-laws, I'd love to play that course.

Navi

...and none of the units require additional software.
Not exactly. I don't know of any in-dash units that require additional software, but there are some handheld GPSr's that do require you to purchase the mapping software separately.

My Garmin eTrex Vista HCx came with a very limited "base map" that includes only major roads. If you want any significant navigational capability you need to purchase the "MapSource City Navigator North America NT" maps. Garmin also sells Topographical maps on a National scale and very detailed Topographical maps for Nationals parks.

Mine is built in to my car but now that I've traveled with one I don't think I'd ever want to take another road trip without one. It's so nice to know exactly when and where you have to turn, where restaurants/stores are, etc. No need to worry about getting lost or worrying about finding your way back to the hotel if you decide to venture out. There are a lot of benefits to be had if you travel to areas you're not familiar with.
If I could agree more than 100% with that statement I would. I find myself using the in-dash Navi in my Mazda-3 waaaay more than I ever would have thought when I bought it.

On top of all the other stuff Tim mentioned is the abilit to mark/save destinations. I've marked all the DG courses I've been to for easy return trips. Downtown H'town can be a maze of one-way streets and construction detours so I've marked my favorite parking garage for Astros games. Lots of possibilities.

After owning one now, I can't see myself ever wanting a car without one!

I will have to state this again with a side suggestion. I really feel the course first hole Lat/Lon is really important. There are some course where the first tee is no where near the parking lot. SO here is my suggestion: Can we add a new button or something on the course page that has something like if the first holes is more than 500 feet (just throwing out a random distance here) from the parking lot here is its Lat/Lon?

1st Tee Lat/Lon

I'm in favor of the site changing the description to read "1st Tee Lat/Lon" or "Parking Lat/Lon" to remove the ambiguity.

Personally I prefer "1st Tee" locations.

ERic

More and more cell phones have GPS capabilities...like my blackberry...I think the pull down menu is a great idea...if that can't happen, I think the first tee is the best...I read an article about a guy going on a 32 month journey to play every disc golf course in the country and he will GPS the first tee of everyone.
It's frustrating trying to find them sometimes...the course in Whitefish Montana (Smith Lake) is very tough to find with the written directions...I drove around for an hour looking for it and never found it...

P.S. If there are any MT locals on here, can you give me better directions--next time I'm up visiting my in-laws, I'd love to play that course.

John,

I just stumbled across some more info on the Whitefish course. The lat/lon should be accurate and there is more information in the directions to help you find the course (as well as some more pictures of it).

Thanks Tim....Unfortunately, I didn't have the GPS on my Blackberry a couple of years ago when I tried...I'll check out this link...I'll be back there in Sept...so hopefully I can find it, it sounds cool...

Latest posts