• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

John’s form progress, analysis, and questions

joohn

LHBH

Fun fact: I throw overhand (baseball, football, basketball) righty, but do tennis, disc golf, and write lefty. I also swing a golf club/baseball ball righty.

Started playing regularly March 2020 & became interested in backhand mechanics shortly after.

I've been keeping a lot of notes on my form since I started, and I would like to consolidate it here moving forward. I'm at the point of finally translating the concepts I read about on here into my actual throw. I figured now would be a good time to post to see if I'm doing it right and figure out the blind spots in my self-analysis. So here are some of the major concepts I have been working on, the improvements I've made, and what I think needs changed.

But first, my most recent throws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7R8_bTqv8s

Normally at the end of field work I record some regular throws but the wind was about 30mph so I stayed in front of the net.

Shifting from Behind: This is the most notable improvement in my form as I start to consistently implement this idea into my swing.

• Previously: Would open up/swing upper body through way too early, and reach back in the backswing too early. I tried to fix timing by delaying the swing until I was planted, but this was not sustainable as I was still reaching back early, pausing unnaturally as I shifted, and then swinging. https://youtu.be/ct0fzpjZnJ0?t=95

• Worked on: Setting up the backswing better has been the key for me. Door frame drills, moving body around disc, and taking a smaller and quicker x-step has helped put my body in the right positions, so the timing becomes more easier/more natural.

• Now: Even though I still reach back a little early, I am doing a better job fully shifting my weight before swinging my hips, shoulders, and arm through.

• Need to improve:
o On bigger shots I often unconsciously take a huge x-step, lose all my momentum, and throw all of my timing off. Need to always leverage CoG ahead of feet and fall forward/catch myself. This has been my hardest habit to break.

o I still have a slight pause at the top of my backswing on most throws, caused by still reaching back early. I am wondering if I can still be reaching back with my shoulders as I shift forward, equal and opposite, I will be more wound up/x-factor?

o Update: I have been practicing with a kind of one-step/elephant walk drill. The timing of the elephant walk to make sure you plant on the heel then swing, and the one-step to still feel the leverage in your rear leg during the backswing and then shift/use hips correctly (for some reason I couldn't do both before this, I would spin out on the rear leg).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLDrirueOc&t=39s

The Hips:

• Previously: I basically just used to spin/twist them. The hips are complicated in the way that they move, I really wasn't sure how they worked or what I was supposed to do with them.

• Worked on: The conceptual understanding is really to key here for me, understanding the lateral move, rocking the hips, clearing the hips, pointing the hip to the sky, watching the all the golf videos that people post here.

• Now: I am using my hips much better and it is really is the key to the lower body. I imagine pointing my hip out to the side and up (rocking the hips). I feel a better connection to the muscles that internally rotate your hip and the muscles that point the hip up/out (glute medius and hip adductors perhaps?). Using the hips properly has solved a lot of other issues I was having, it makes shifting your weight natural and bracing really easy and natural.

• Need to improve:

o I don't know how much to "rotate" my hips back in the backswing. More rotation = feel more wound up in rear thigh. Less rotation = Feel more wound up between hips and shoulders?

o Rear leg kicks up weirdly. I know that the rear foot should go targetward per the lateral move, but my whole rear leg still seems to have a lot of energy after the shift. I think I need to leverage more horizontally forward and get my knee in front of my rear ankle. https://youtu.be/F4AGSN1FZuA?t=122 "when I push my front knee forward it pushes everything forward"​

Shoulders/the Hit:

• I think I am over rotating my shoulders. When looking at a side view of my swing, the disc doesn't really extend away from my body, the shoulders keep going and the hit is in front of my body. It's really hard to tell if the pros decelerate their shoulders, but their hit point is definitely more out in front of the body. (Note: my first video posted here, my most recent throws, I was trying to address this issue. Here's the first side view I recorded today, for comparison https://youtu.be/YyNgxWKHnQA?t=131 disc is more targetward instead of leveraged out in front of body)

o Should I try to stop/slow the shoulders after they go from opposite the target to in-line with target, or rather, the elbow/lats take over as the engine of the throw at that position, adding to the power? Is this what the swim move helps to do? The image of Ezra someone posted (can't find the OP right now but thank you) really helped me try to get a better feeling today, and I was really trying to feel the leverage in the elbow instead of spinning the shoulders. I only got the feeling a few times, but I felt like I was using my lats more, and was pulling the slack out from loose to taut like the beginning of a deadlift. I think I may had avoided this in the past out of fear of strong arming, but the idea of building tension/late acceleration is surely different?

o I remember from the "make your shoulder lever longer" thread the idea of your rear shoulder being connected to your brace leg. It looks like my rear shoulder is still moving forward relative to the ground. How can I get the rear side to feel more connected to the brace?

• I have been trying to keep the disc more in my CoG during the backswing (1st attached). I have trouble bringing the disc close to my body, and it's worse when I let the disc drift away. I also have been trying to keep my upper arm at 90deg to my shoulders to get as much space as possible to tuck the disc into.

Okay that's the notes on my own form, hopefully I edited it down enough to be legible for anyone reading this. Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments are welcome. Maybe I even helped someone working on their own form by writing this up.

Finally, a huge thank you to everyone who posts and contributes on this forum. The wealth of knowledge available here is stunning, and it has made learning to throw so much more clear and rewarding.

Attachments

• 2x2 PP Cog.jpg
    2x2 PP Cog.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 9zv8xwc.jpg
    9zv8xwc.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Your rear foot is too backwards and not in great balance/leverage(foot slips), so your hips/shoulders appear to over-rotate, but actually not rotating enough from the hip or deep enough/buttwipe/hogan power move. That also causes you to plant too staggered closed and turned back too far on front foot because the rear foot is turned back too far.

Looks like your elbow is not staying forward enough, or upper arm wide enough. Your rear foot position/lack of hip depth and moving toward right tee will also affect your swing as your body moves into your swing path instead of away from it.

Your elephant walk is more like the speed skater drill. Elephant walk should be feet walking perpendicular to target and feet stepping nearly inline with other so there's only like 1" of horizontal movement toward target, only swing moves to and from target, feet only move perpendicular to target.

Note on side view vid - I would call that behind tee or down the line. Side view typically refers to camera setup on side of tee.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138538

Okay! First here are most recent throws 5/6:
Net side view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dpyuSIYK8
Net down the fairway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nDcfC8dQhw
Field Side View https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na6NPG-lCgI
Field Down the Fairway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4H_M1r2_M

I've been working on:

Leveraging forward in the backswing without slipping, focusing on 1. keeping the rear knee ahead of foot, and 2. using the leverage of the rear leg to push rear hip back. SW you were spot on about the "fake hip depth", need to create real hip depth while maintaining forward leverage/"winding up" instead of letting rear leg spin out/slip. Have to maintain this leverage all the way through the end of the backswing, or else my rear foot will slip. Good news is that this makes the timing automatic; rear foot plants, CoG crosses ahead of rear foot, then hips progressively wind up until you crush the can. Bolded part is important and I want to especially keep improving in that aspect (MLB pitching drill has helped). If I try to swing back without CoG forward, I have no leverage to rock hips, so I'm slipping/turning rear leg again.

This has been the main focus of my practice since last post. After a lot of practice, I'm starting to nail it down and make it a habit. Unfortunately, a lot of practice time was wasted thinking I had it under control, start working on something else, and slip back (literally).

The other improvement I have been trying to make involves the perceived over rotation of my shoulders, and the lack of disc extension at the hit. SW, you sent me down the right path with the ball on a string/tilted star burst. I did make a ball on a string and it helped with the feeling, before I threw it into a tree. But the main idea here is maintaining and directing centrifugal force, which I did not understand before. Biggest lightbulb was from this post from navel:

It should still work as a fluid motion. It's just about where that motion is directed to, which should be out from your body, with your body resisting the arm/disc pulling you out too. (Ball on a string.)
Like an Olympic hammer throw.
A lot of people tend to just rotate instead of sending the force and the disc forward through a motion that is a rotation as an effect of the force travelling out and forward.
As soon as you pull the swing/force inwards/right you are doomed.

Cn6e7gu.png

This example is meant to show what happens if you drag any body part along through the swing and the follow-through instead of letting it all accelerate forward and out. Each part (hips-shoulders-elbow-disc) should overtake the previous part and sling forward instead of being pulled to the side and dragged along.

Wow. I was definitely pulling the swing inward, or at the very least dragging my elbow along by the shoulders. How else would you create a power pocket and get the disc close to your body? I mean, I would keep my elbow pointed out to maintain the frame, but the idea of using centrifugal force to accelerate the swing was totally absent. I had glimpses of this feeling before, months ago when I first read "Straight & Flat Swing Plane Does Not Exist!" and was really focusing on a pendulum swing, and then again with the ball on a string tool. Now dingle arm has new meaning and twirl burst finally makes sense.

Similar to this: Lever drill. Great way to feel the arc/centrifugal force mentioned above. This Parbequeue post brought this to my attention.

TLDR; (in order)
-rotation of arm in shoulder socket instead of flat swing plane on a tilt. :wall: Old grip sucked. New grip feels awesome. outcome is FULL EXTENSION OUT TO TARGET/HIT ..........
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3712539&postcount=1017

Cleared up the part of tilted twirl star burst video about the supination and external rotation of the shoulder. I had never understood the significance of that before. Now in my most recent throws I am using the lever drill (pre-throw) to feel the pump of centrifugal force at the hit, and better understand the angle that the disc will come out naturally.
https://youtu.be/0nDcfC8dQhw?t=98
Interestingly, it's hard to pinpoint a physical change I have made, but the result of harnessing this feeling of centrifugal force is apparent in the extension of the disc at the hit.

Swim move: https://youtu.be/l3dpyuSIYK8?t=41
https://youtu.be/0nDcfC8dQhw?t=41
The thought here was trying to anchor the rear shoulder and unwind around that anchor point. It resulted in doing a really interesting swim move. Kinda like Avery Jenkins? Definitely helped keep shoulders more closed. Will keep playing around with it.

Striding in direction of arc/crush can like Lizotte: I could use some advice here. Was reading up in HUB's posts on striding etc.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132388
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyJSgPNc6U

I think the best way is to stride laterally toward the target so you don't get in your own way, and then plant step could be slightly ahead like Lizotte to redirect momentum to arc apex instead on to the target? Need to experiment more with this.

Other misc changes I want to make:
• Start taller in throw to use gravity
• Might have a slight anterior pelvic tilt, probably should be more tilted other way like Eagle MacMahon.
• Maintain a straight wrist reaching back, no more slight curl. Think I've made this change for the most part.

This is probably more detail than necessary but writing this out helps me better understand the strong and weak points of my swing. It is sure better than the endless amount of bullet pointed notes I keep on my phone. Plus I've learned a lot from people posting on here so I hope this can help someone else. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Really good posts joohn! Keep 'em coming.
This kind of reading is my favourite; thoughtful, well organized and the passion for form really shows in the way you write and express yourself. It's a treat to follow along in this journey. It gets me up on my feet trying to feel both your progress and your questionings. Good stuff! Looking forward to more posts.

(If you didn' t know by now, I posted that Ezra pic you talked about too. Cheers!)

Wow, that means a lot! Thank you for all your helpful posts. The Ezra pic and the car analogy combined with the twirl/burst of centrifugal force/ball on a string really helped me get to a very different feeling swing than before. It feels like the fundamental piece that I was flirting around the edges of, but I couldn't really feel in the swing until I read the bit about "As soon as you pull the swing/force inwards/right you are doomed". I have misinterpreted discussion about the power pocket and the acceleration all happening from power pocket to hit - thinking I should pull the swing inward, rotate, then explode out of the pocket. Instead of maintaining and directing centrifugal force outward during the entire downswing like an olympic hammer throw, and the power pocket/wide-narrow-wide are a result of this, as illustrated in tilted twirl star burst.

Other stuff that I would work on, loading and unloading lats, trying to keep shoulder closed, is important but is all just auxiliary to this feeling. I was really just starting to grasp it in the videos I filmed above, since then I've been doing the lever drill non-stop. :thmbup:

Good stuff!

1. Swim Move. Your rear arm is a little behind your body/posterior, need to get more forward anterior of the body. If you watch Avery/PP they start with the rear arm forward across the chest and then swim to the posterior. They almost look like they ripping a phone book apart with both arms starting crossed over and ripping away from each other.

2. Anterior Pelvic Tilt/Butt Out and Hip Depth/Butt Wipe and Knee Bend. To get butt wipe pressure you should not do it by bending the knees and disengaging the glutes, keep knees mostly straight and just slightly flexed and shift your CoG/balance back deeper toward your heels and away from toes. Your glutes should be engaged before pressing into wall so your pelvis is tucked more underneath your navel to belt buckle, flat back. This will probably feel flat footed to you and hopefully massive leverage.

Latest posts