• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ace Race Discs

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was organizing my bag and realized... a good percentage of my discs were once ace race discs.

I currently bag an elite-z heat (2014), the ace race titanium mantis (2013), a jawbreaker roach (2015), and the 2018 disc (now called the Sol?) which took the place of my (2016) archer. I'd also still have a hornet (2010) if I hadn't lost it... I ended up replacing it with a DD Verdict. So yeah, love me some ace race discs! :D

same here, except ar discs: heat, sting, zombee, archer, hornet, (sol is in now but will be bumped for comet). soft focus.

I've liked a lot of the Ace Race discs, but none of them ever quite replaced the disc I was already using for that shot. The Heat came closest, but it didn't quite kick Valks out of my bag. Hornets were a nice Sentinel-type discs but I still prefer the Sentinel.

The Sol is a disc I have not quite given a chance. I've heard people say it can handle XD-type duties and I guess I should try it for that. I'm somewhat concerned that it's never actually going into production, though.

Really liked the 2013 Ace Race disc, then tried the production model Big Z Mantis & found it to be not the same.
So I didn't have anything to do with the Mantis for a while.
Then last year I started finding 2013 AR discs in the used bins.
So I've started buying up a few of them & taking them out for test drives.
Yesterday I was using it into a strong headwind & found it to be pretty reliable.
If I were a Discraft player I would probably be throwing the Zeppelin (2011 AR disc).

Was the Undertaker ever made as an Ace Race disc? I have some mystery Ti Ace Race disc that I can't identify. It isn't a Heat, but its some other fairway type driver.

Maybe its a Mantis.

Yes. Much more so. I would say a better gliding Thunderbird.

I used to bag these for my OS fairway slot. I finally replaced them as I was halfway through beating in my second and only had one more backup.

I replaced the Ace Race Mantis with a 150 class Banzai. It being a 150 class, the fade kicks in later but it has just as much....and it's not OOP.

Was the Undertaker ever made as an Ace Race disc? I have some mystery Ti Ace Race disc that I can't identify. It isn't a Heat, but its some other fairway type driver.

Maybe its a Mantis.

Undertaker came out Summer 2016. Ace Race that year was the Archer. Those muddy colored Ti's with an ace tooled on top are AR Mantises.

I bag a Roach and a Sting, and would still rock a Meteor if I didn't have a BuzzzSS and the Sting to split those duties.

Undertaker came out Summer 2016. Ace Race that year was the Archer. Those muddy colored Ti's with an ace tooled on top are AR Mantises.

I bag a Roach and a Sting, and would still rock a Meteor if I didn't have a BuzzzSS and the Sting to split those duties.

Yeah, this thing is copper/brown. I had no clue what model it was.

I forget the deal with the Mantis. Were the Ace Race ones more OS?

They are Ti plastic & a little more stable than the Big Z run.
I have a Crystal Z that I want to get out & test (I don't throw Z & Champ plastic in the winter), but will have to wait a few more weeks before I get it outside.

I am on the opposite end. Have been to the Ace Race the last 10 years (ran it for 9) and only bag the 2010 Ace Race ESP Hornet. Some discs were good, like the Mantis, but not quite enough to kick the current discs out of my bag.

I've enjoyed throwing everyone I've tried, but never permanently bagged them.

Might try the Sol and I would bag the Sting if it was flatter.

I picked up a 2011 ESP zeppelin from a used bin which is still mint. I've heard comparisons to a slower comet. I love lid type discs too, haven't had the chance to throw it.

Anybody have experience with it or liked it?

I picked up a 2011 ESP zeppelin from a used bin which is still mint. I've heard comparisons to a slower comet. I love lid type discs too, haven't had the chance to throw it.

I have an Ace Race one that I use for outside the circle putts and no-wind approaches. It's not very useful as a throwing putter but I do have a Top Line Habit (same mold, think TI Flx plastic) that's more stable and will be laser straight if I don't throw with any OAT. In that respect I guess it is like a slower comet

I forget the deal with the Mantis. Were the Ace Race ones more OS?

Maybe its a Mantis.

So yes, the Ace Race Mantis was the nondescript Ace Race disc in titanium plastic and I think it also says 2013 on it. And production runs of the disc were less stable than the ace race versions.

I think the Ace Race version plays like I would expect an undertaker to play. Folks say the undertaker is like a beat-in predator and I would expect a beat in undertaker to kind of fly like a production mantis, ergo this more OS mantis should kind of be like a regular undertaker... And as I particularly liked this disc for thumbers, rather than trying out an actual undertaker, I just collected a couple more of these guys.

I always have one in my bag. It's great for slow, floaty straight to anhyzer throws. Mostly I use it for short get out of trouble overhands. Compared to my other discs it has a unique overhand flight where it only goes in the direction of the bottom of the disc, lands on its top, and slides under the pin. Ok, not always under the pin.

Latest posts