• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace race question

I always liked the Birde Bash over the Ace Race events.

Two discs, two shots (often two different discs). Points for aces and metal hits. Seemed to be a little more fun than shorty ace races.

Agreed. My normal group plays Birdie Bash rules at least a couple times per year just to change it up a little bit. We also turn it into a swap meet where everyone donates discs to a common pool, and we get to pick 2 discs from that pile.

Agreed. My normal group plays Birdie Bash rules at least a couple times per year just to change it up a little bit. We also turn it into a swap meet where everyone donates discs to a common pool, and we get to pick 2 discs from that pile.

Do you return the discs afterwards? Or do you get to keep the discs you choose? How do you determine who chooses first? Or is it a "Set, GO!" and grab what you can?

I don't think there is enough point separation between an ace (5 points) and a metal hit (3 points). I would not be happy if I hit 2 aces and lost to someone who had 4 metal hits and no aces. I like the idea of points for metal hits, just not 3 points if an ace is worth 5.
I would get rid of the points for landing within 10 feet.
I've only ever played where aces always take priority. Points are there in the event of a tie or no aces.

I don't think there is enough point separation between an ace (5 points) and a metal hit (3 points). I would not be happy if I hit 2 aces and lost to someone who had 4 metal hits and no aces. I like the idea of points for metal hits, just not 3 points if an ace is worth 5.
I would get rid of the points for landing within 10 feet.
I ran Ace Races for a long time using the 5/3/1 points, but the winner was who had the most aces. Points were for tiebreakers i.e. two guys have three aces, the points break the tie. The person with the most points almost never won.

Hi all,

There's a chance I'm going to host an ace race type mini tournament in a couple months with the following rules.

$10 / round
1 disc / round
1 throw / hole
5 points for an ace, 3 points for metal, 1 point for landing within 10 feet

It'll be something like 12 holes and people can play anytime and as much as they want in a four hour window. Winner would get a Skillshot and 1-3 places would get gift cards to the local disc golf store.

Anyone have experience with anything like this? Anything I need to consider? We're raising money for the neighborhood and Madison has such a strong disc golf community that I think it could be quite successful.

Thanks!
This sounds like fun; the $10/round, play as many rounds as you want makes the rest of my comments irrelevant.

For some reason where I live, the general disc golf community doesn't like fun. Their idea of fun is taking a course that is already par 58 and roping it off with OB so that it's harder. Since the idea of 'fun" is based on competition, the Ace Race involved too much luck for them and they wouldn't play.

To bring more "skill" into the mix, four out of the 36 holes were essentially C2 putts. Make the long putts (which is a skill, right?) and you are going to be in the mix. Also in the Discraft version of the Ace Race you get two discs, so we threw both of them. You got to the tee, took the shot and immediately had the change to correct anything that went wrong with that next shot. If you have "skills" you should be able to make that adjustment, right?

Those changes somewhat made the serious Club guys happy and more of them started playing in the Ace Races. Only once in nine tries did somebody win without hitting an ace besides the long putts.

They complained a lot for the Discraft event that they didn't get to practice with the disc so I let people pick up the players packs on Friday for a Sunday event; three guys lost one of the discs. :| Of course they expected me to just replace them so they would still get two throws/hole. :( We didn't do that again.

None of that really applies to this scenario; people I'm assuming would choose what disc they are going to throw from their own stash so they can't complain about that. Letting them pay again and take another shot at the holes gives them the chance to dial the shots in if they thing they are that close to getting an ace. It just sounds like fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts