• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Acorn park- odd player I see each Friday

Has anyone seen the guy who runs through the holes at Acorn playing through each group? He has an odd system where he tees off on a hole, runs back to the previous hole and putts out, then runs a hole a head to tee off again and continues this routine through all 18. He can be heard with his signature phrase "hey mind if I rip one and play through with you". This past Friday I ran into him again and he said he has been doing this since '97. Has anyone else seen this guy? This was the third time I have see him doing this and it really slowed down everyone's rounds with the confusion he creates on each hole.

That's Chuck Kennedy. Chuck being Chuck.

Has anyone seen the guy who runs through the holes at Acorn playing through each group? He has an odd system where he tees off on a hole, runs back to the previous hole and putts out, then runs a hole a head to tee off again and continues this routine through all 18. He can be heard with his signature phrase "hey mind if I rip one and play through with you". This past Friday I ran into him again and he said he has been doing this since '97. Has anyone else seen this guy? This was the third time I have see him doing this and it really slowed down everyone's rounds with the confusion he creates on each hole.

I used to see this guy a ton at Acorn (and a couple of times at Kaposia) when I lived in the Cities.

Long, black curly hair, sort of short in stature?

Super nice, super annoying.

I am planning to play there again this Friday on my way home from work starting around 3. It will be interesting to see if Chuck is out there running in 30's and snowing!

There are 2 runners I know of at Acorn, both regulars. One's name is Terry who looks to be 50-55 but is actually 65, he always plays solo and only plays acorn when I asked him. He usually runs but ironically I played 12 holes with him last week and he will slow it down. The other's name is Steve he is 45-50 and he is really well known at Acorn for going really really fast. He goes faster than anyone I have ever seen, occasionally he plays with his wife and son, he usually has a small dog chasing after him the whole round looking to keep up. Both are good guys, just let them go through.

There's a guy I've seen doing a similar form of "Speed Golf" in my neck of the woods too. I thought the guy liked his cardio or something.

There's a guy I've seen doing a similar form of "Speed Golf" in my neck of the woods too. I thought the guy liked his cardio or something.

Same at my local course. We were on 10 and let him play through ..........as we were approaching 18 tee box here he came again on his second round! I would be worn out!

Apparently this is not an uncommon phenomenon as I have seen "speed golfers" on a couple of occasions on two different courses myself (complete with dog in tow in one instance) and I have only played for about 3 months.

Probably just their cardio workout routine. I hate running myself, it's boring as heck to me. I would rather just go for a walk so that I can take time to at least enjoy the scenery. But walking is not as good a cadio workout as running. Incorporating DG into their running could be a way to fight the boredom of just running.

Neither of the guys I encountered hindered me in any way so I say more power to 'em. Maybe it will spawn a new biathlon sport along the lines of cross country skiing and riflery. If you have ever tried to run or cross country ski from station to station and engage a target with anything you would know how challenging this is.

I've seen this guy. He's just trying to get his round in quick when it's super busy I think - can't blame him for wanting to play through. When it happens it feels a bit abrasive but I totally respect his determination to run through the course in like 30 minutes despite the large groups.

First time I was confused and a bit upset but when I thought about it I realized it made sense.

Also when I play alone and no one else is on the course I'll sometimes run after a throw I toss into the woods in order to have a better chance to find it. I also sometimes like to run on the first couple holes to get my blood moving when it's cold. I'm sure someone has seen me and laughed or been confused before though haha.

My buddy uses this "Speed Golf" as his weekly exercise routine. It can be annoying.

I don't mind that type of behavior but if I'm in the middle of league play or a tourney and the guy is oblivious to the fact, I'm usually an arsehole about it.

I remember a guy out at Blue Ribbon Pines that was similar in that he would come up to the pad and ask if he could throw with you and and after a few holes would either back track or move forward to the next group and ask to play again. Longer black hair, dingy hat, kinda scraggly. I have a pic of him too.

I remember a guy out at Blue Ribbon Pines that was similar in that he would come up to the pad and ask if he could throw with you and and after a few holes would either back track or move forward to the next group and ask to play again. Longer black hair, dingy hat, kinda scraggly. I have a pic of him too.

I would be interested in seeing this pic. I have played enough at BRP where I am afraid that it might be me. Once or twice I would be out there alone and would want to play as fast as possible so I can get in as much golf as possible. I know that during these such days that I would have to play through a lot of groups, asking quite often. It also means that I would be left to myself to search for arrant discs. Every once in awhile I know I would have to let groups I had played through to play through me as I searched, and then when I found my disc I would eventually catch up and have to play through again.

I would call my hair darker sandy than necessarily black, I have a few dingy hats that I usually wear, and if you catch me between beard trimmings once a month, I can get rather scraggly.

Sounds like he is trying to exercise while focusing on something that doesn't seem like exercise. Sounds like a good idea. There are a couple guys that do this at my home course...but they are going so fast it doesn't affect my playing.

Its called speed-golf. Rarely does it impede play because the dude's running!
If it was a group of 5 or 6 "speed-golfers" then I might have a problem with them playing (running?) through!
Otherwise to me they are like mall-walkers. They arent really hurting anybody!

I would be interested in seeing this pic. I have played enough at BRP where I am afraid that it might be me. Once or twice I would be out there alone and would want to play as fast as possible so I can get in as much golf as possible. I know that during these such days that I would have to play through a lot of groups, asking quite often. It also means that I would be left to myself to search for arrant discs. Every once in awhile I know I would have to let groups I had played through to play through me as I searched, and then when I found my disc I would eventually catch up and have to play through again.

I would call my hair darker sandy than necessarily black, I have a few dingy hats that I usually wear, and if you catch me between beard trimmings once a month, I can get rather scraggly.

:D I dought its you but I'll post the pic later. Whoever he is, he was nice to talk to. Just unusual

Latest posts