• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

acrosley ITB

acrosley

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Figured I'd start up a thread here mainly to hold myself accountable.
Been playing for about 1 year now and after sampling ~70 discs I think I've narrowed it down to a dozen or so. Every time I think I'm happy with my bag I inevitably change something so hoping that y'all can keep me honest and scold me when I make unnecessary changes.

Primarily throw LHBH. Thumbers and flicks are very much works in progress but serviceable enough for the moment. I think my biggest goal right now is to develop some consistency and accuracy with my backhand.

Bag:

Distance Driver
175 Lucid Trespass - 290avg/330max - Honestly too much disc for me but I like it

Fairway Drivers
173 Z Raptor - 250avg/280max - hyzers and windy conditions
170 Champ Eagle - 250avg/290max - primary stable driver
170 INNfuse Star Eagle - 230avg/270max - beefy boy! 1st choice for thumbers
168 DX Eagle - 260avg/310 max - slightly US
165 DX Eagle - 260avg/310 max - very US

Mids
180 Champ King Cobra - 230avg/260max - straight to slightly US
176 DX Cobra - 190avg/250max - pretty beat and US great for anny/utility/flips

Putters
173 Z Zone - 180avg/230max - hyzer approaches and windy conditions
175 Eclipse Envy - 220avg/270max - use this as a midrange tbh - straight with slight finish
175 Diamond X-out Wizard - 190avg/240max - slightly US now mostly used as a backup
175 Firm Wizard - 180avg/220max - primary putter and short approaches

I mainly play just 2 courses and I think this bag covers all the shots I need for those 2. I'd like to get a Trespass around 167 grams so might look at adding that in the near future.

Checked out Deming Park for the first time - shot +4 and not too unhappy for first time there. Hit up Big Walnut after and shot +2 which I am unhappy about but what are you gonna do. Tried out a d line Squall to fill the gap between my cobras and eagles and had some pretty good success with it. Gonna bag it and a tour series pro-line I found unmarked a while back and see how things go.

Trespass (Lucid)
Raptor (Z line)
4 Eagles (INNfuse Star, Champ, 2 DXs
2 Squalls (D-line and Proline)
2 Cobras (DX and Champ King)
Zone (Z line)
2 Envies (Electron Firm and Eclipse
3 Wizards (Diamond, Firm, SSS)

Shot +16 at The Hill @ Northview Blues (embarssing), +1 at Dr. James A. Dillon Park shorts (not bad for me) and +10 at Hazel Landing Blues (could have been better) today. Threw the Squalls pretty well so I'm glad I added them in. Driving accuracy left a lot to be desired but I did have a couple shots worth writing home about. Gonna shelve the SSS wizard until cold weather comes. Zone worked great for upshots. IDK if I need to break it in more but my current Zone doesn't seem to fly as far off the tee as the 2 I lost. I'm gonna bag the Streamline Runway in the meantime to see if I can eek out another 20-30 feet.

Checked out a couple new courses today. The runway flies further enough than the zone for me to bag both I think. I just wasn't feeling the squalls today gonna dust off the Rift and use it in their place.

I had some long drives (for me) with the trespass I'm gonna order a lucid air one and see if lighter weight gets me some extra distance. I'll keep the max weight for windy conditions. Might also get a Felon to try out vs the Raptor and INNfuse Eagle

Did some fieldwork trying out different mids and settled on giving the Buzzz another go. Then lost it on my first warm up throw at Milligan Park but what are ya gonna do. Still shot a -2 which is 5 better than my personal best and 13 strokes better than my last league round there. Unfortunately lost my straightish DX eagle and Raptor. Luckily I had ordered a Z Buzzz already and I got the Thunderbird as the F2 Friday disc from Innova. Been thinking of throwing the Pro Leopard back in the bag so might try it out to replace the DX Eagle

Also picked up a slightly used Felon off EBay and gotta say it flies as advertised. Might end up shelving the Runway again since seems like I can cover all the OS stuff with the Felon and Zone combo

Trespass x2 (Lucid 175, Lucid Air 162)
Machete (Z-line 171)
Undertow (SP 170)
Thunderbird (175 Champ F2)
Eagle x2 (170 Champ, 165 DX)
Crave (Neutron 163)
Runway (Neutron 177)
Buzzz (Z-line 177)
Cobra (DX 176)
Zone (Z-line 174)
Envy x2 (Electron Firm 173, Eclipse 173)
Wizard x2 (Diamond x-out 175, SSS 175)

Shot a -3 with this set up at Gibbs Memorial (short tees tournament rules) which is probably my best outing to date. Really leaned on the Runway for a lot of the tee shots there even though I barely throw it at Milligan or Big Walnut. I just got the Crave in last night so only threw it once but hopefully it can fill the straight fairway slot I've been looking for. Trespasses really shine on the longer holes. IDK why I can usually get the full flight with them but struggle with other distance drivers but I'm not complaining!

I honestly forgot I had put the Machete back in the bag until I sat down to type this out. Guess that's a good sign since I only hope to use it when I'm in dire straits or hurricane force winds. All in all I'm pretty pleased with this set-up and I have room for 1 more disc still if I ever want to trial a mold for poops and giggles.

Machete (Z-line 171)
Undertow (SP 170)
Leopard (Pro 169)
Runway (Neutron 177)
Buzzz (Z-line 177)
Cobra (DX 176)
Stingray (DX 166)
Zone (Z-line 174)
Wizard x2 (Diamond x-out 175, SSS 175)

Shot a -1 at Milligan for League night with this setup. Preliminary 827 round which is a new PB for me at least.

I just can't figure the Crave out so I threw the Leopard back in and it did the job for me. I think it's just too damn hot out for SSS Wizard right now. I pulled a couple putts to the left and even missed one from 8 feet - surely it isn't me that's the problem!

All in all this is probably the most stable (as in not changing discs constantly) my bag has been since I've started. Seems like that has gone a long way to giving me some consistency on the course as well.

Machete (Z-line 171)

Leopard (Pro 169)

Runway (Neutron 177)
Buzzz (Z-line 177)
Cobra (DX 176)
Stingray (DX 166)

Zone (Z-line 174)
Wizard x3 (Diamond x-out 175, SSS 175, Hemp SS 173)

Played a tournament at Gibbs today and averaged 799 rating over 2 rounds. Got 21/34 in MA3 which I guess I can't be too upset about.

Picked up a spare Trespass for my player's disc (w00t) and bought a Stag and Tursas since I'd always wanted to try em out. I could see the Tursas maybe replacing the Cobra and/or Stingray. The Stag is interesting to me. It looks a lot like an Eagle bottom but it's crazy domey. I'm not really sure if I'll actually bag it but it seemed worth a gamble.

I think I may take a break from rated rounds for a bit and just take the Stag Tursas and SS Wizard out for a couple rounds to get a feel for em

Felon (175 Fusion Burst)
Stag (172 VIP)
Eagle (170 Champ)
Leopard (Pro 169)

Runway (Neutron 177)
Buzzz (Z-line 177)
Tursas (VIP 177)
Stingray (DX 166)

Zone (Z-line 174)
Wizard x3 (Diamond x-out 175, SSS 175, Hemp SS 173)

Kinda funny to read back over just how much my bag has changed since I first started this thread. Especially since I started this thread to try and quit changing discs in and out so frequently. Anyway seems like I'm mostly just switching out utility discs and have started to establish my "main molds" so to speak. Gonna give the Tursas and Stag a chance but may switch back to the Cobra and DX Eagle eventually.

I got a beat up prime burst Emac Truth with a Trespass I ordered off Ebay. If I ever lose the Buzzz I could see myself giving the Emac a try since I have a Lucid one already. Plus plain old stock Buzzzes seem pretty hard to come by these days.

Man this game has a way of humbling you! Just when I thought I had my bag mostly figured out I go and shoot a +16 at Northwest Community and lost my Buzzz and Runway to boot. This time last year I shot a +5 and my worst round there was +11 so something's gotta give. I've decided to go back to basics and am going to try sticking to the advice in that Garu thread. So I've decided to strip the bag down to just 4 discs for now.

Felon (175 Fusion Burst)
Eagle (169 DX 7/10)
Emac Truth (180? Prime burst 6/10)
Wizard (173 Hemp SS)

I took the Eagle, Emac and Wizard to the field for a little session and was throwing much better than my last round. I'm going to try to stick with those 4 discs and play a couple rounds at my usual courses and slowly add discs back in as I think I need them.

Been messing around with various molds for the the last month and I think I've finally nailed down my line-up

Trespass x2 (175 Lucid, 162 Lucid Air)
Machete (171 Z)

Felon (175 Fusion)
Thunderbird x2 (175 F2 Champ, 169 DX)
Eagle x4 (165 DX, 169 DX, 170 Champ, 170 INNfuse Star)

Verdict (166 Prime)
Emac Truth x2 (180 Prime, 175 Lucid)
Bounty (171 Lucid)

Zone (Tour Series Crystal Z 174)
Envy (174 Eclipse 2.0)
Link (173 Exo Soft)

I don't throw the Distance drivers that often but they're nice to have on the few holes I need them. The Lucid Air is actually more OS than the max weight Lucid so it's a strange dynamic of throwing max weight for max D and then the Lucid Air if I need it to fade out. The Machete is really just there for memes but it's fun to play around with.

I tried a Stag, Crave, Phenom, Leopard, FD, TL3, and while they're all great and stuff none of them really did anything for me I couldn't do with my small collection of Eagles. The 165 DX is super beat, the 169 DX is flippy but still fades, the 170 Champ is mostly straight if I throw it right, and the Star is still pretty OS. The DX thunderbird will go about 20 feet further than my Eagles so it's a nice bridge between them and my Trespasses. The Champ Thunderbird is actually pretty OS for me so it's nice and reliable and the Felon is mainly just there if it's super windy.

I'm really digging my beat up prime Emac - I could probaby get by just bagging it as my only mid. The Lucid is in there if I need just a little more finish and the Verdict is there for flicks mostly. The Understable mid role is the one I'm least sure about. I tired a Comet, Bounty, Tursas (which I lost RIP) and my beloved Stingray and Cobra. The Stingray is a paper plate now. The Bounty and the Comet are pretty much identical so I chose the Bounty mainly because it's Pink and easier to find than the Glo Z. I may end up putting the Cobra back in instead though.

I just plain walked off without my Z Zone - so pour one out for my homie! That's the third Zone I've managed to lose so if I lose my final one I'll take the hint and try a Pig I guess. That particular Zone was getting pretty well seasoned so I'm hopeful the Envy will fill it's role well enough.

After a lot of soul searching I've decided to switch from Wizards to Links (for now). It just fits my hand a little better and seems to have a touch more glide and less fade which I appreciate. I like the feel of Exo Soft also - SSS was just a little too soft and Hemp SS was great but it warped pretty easily.

Anyway thank you to whoever actually read my little blog post here and please have a drink in remembrance of my Zone!

Trespass x2 (175 Lucid, 162 Lucid Air)
Machete (171 Z)

Felon (175 Fusion)
Heat (168 Big Z)
Thunderbird x2 (175 F2 Champ, 170 GStar)
Eagle x3 (165 DX, 169 DX, 170 Champ)

Emac Truth x2 (180 Prime, 175 Lucid)
Tursas (171 VIP)

Zone x3 (Tour Series Z 174, Z Flx 175, Putter line 173)
Envy x2 (174 Eclipse 2.0, 173 Electron)
Wizards x3 (2 173 Glow X-outs, 173 SSS)

This is probably the most stable my bag has been since I've started. Biggest changes in the last month were buying some new zones and switching back to Wizards after a brief affair with the Link. I also found my Tursas so put it in back in place of the Bounty. I've been thinking about ordering up a Hex and Reactor combo as a little Christmas present for myself. Nothing wrong with the Emacs but never hurts to try new molds out.

Lucid Air Trespass (162)
Champ Beast (164)

2 Felons (Fuzion 175, Lucid 172)
2 Eagle-Xs (Champion 171, DX 168)

Prime Burst Verdict (166)
KC Pro Roc (180)
Z-Glo Comet (171)

Z-Flx Zone (173)
2 Wizards (174 Glow, 175 Diamond)

Things have gone a bit south while trying to rebuild my backhand form and I'm lucky to break 300 feet anymore. Somehow I managed to figure out how to forehand somewhat reliable at least and it goes just as far as my backhand anymore. I need to pull the Trespass but it's still useful for glidey hyzers and goes further than my Eagles and Felons for that shot. Traded a buddy for his beat-in Beast that was too flippy for him. In all honestly it's too much disc for me so I ought to pull it too but I did get a nice S-Shot with it out to around 330 albeit downhill.

I've had this Fuzion Felon for a year and the thing is still a meathook. My Lucid Felon is beating in nicely and flies like what I imagine bigger arms can do with their Sexton Firebirds. I've really been liking it for forehands. The Champ Eagle is my ride or die, and the DX eagle is basically a Leopard3 for me. Been contemplating picking up an Escape to try out but I'm starting to finally realize there's no magic disc that will make me better.

Mids have been a revolving door for me. Seems like once I find one I like I lose it. Dusted off my old Verdict to replace an Eclipse Reactor for forehands and it's been working pretty well. I probably need to just bite the bullet and order another Buzzz but I've got a dozen or so straight mids just laying around so rolling with the KC Pro Roc for now. The Comet ended up edging out the Bounty so it's been holding down the straight-to-understable slot for a couple months for me now.

Been using the Glow Wizard for putting and a thrashed Diamond Wizard and/or the Z Flx Zone for throwing/upshots.

How does your footwork feel? I found i picked up a good piece if distance just practicing getting comfortable with the smooth x. Otherwise, a flippy distance driver on a hyper. That shot plays well if you decide to drop weights and go to 150g drivers.

How does your footwork feel? I found i picked up a good piece if distance just practicing getting comfortable with the smooth x. Otherwise, a flippy distance driver on a hyper. That shot plays well if you decide to drop weights and go to 150g drivers.

My footwork is certainly not my strong suit. I was doing some fieldwork today and slowed things way down to try to smooth things out like you suggested. I was flirting with 300 feet with my DX Eagle, so I may have to look into getting a 150 class one now :thmbup:

I also finally admitted to myself that it's kinda pointless to bag the high speed stuff since my best throws were with the DX Eagle. I'm gonna scale my bag way back for a bit and quit chasing distance in hopes of developing some consistency - so for now my bag looks like this:

Lucid Felon
Champ Eagle
DX Eagle
Opto Claymore
Z Flx Zone
Soft Wizard

My forehand is getting to be serviceable and I was flexing the Felon out further than most of my BH shots. I could also get the Eagles to flip up and ride straight occasionally, but I still need a lot of work to smooth things out. The DX Eagle is beat up enough to serve as a turnover if I need it to, and the Champion slots between it and my Felon.
I picked up the Claymore on a whim and have been having some success with it. It's workable enough I feel comfortable using it for all my midrange needs for the moment - but the Comet is still on standby for sure.
Figure the Soft Wizard is a good enough thrower and putter to serve double duty- and I mean c'mon ya gotta have a Zone or Zone-like disc don't ya?

Like the choices with the bag. Its hard to give up the big guns.

Also, think about fh the eagle on a hyzer line, instead of trying to flex it. You will get better distance and then the felon becomes a shot shaper and the other is the hyzer-flip distance. It really improves your game in the woods to have a hyzer flip whether its fh or bh.

I've been working on FH hyzer flipping the DX Eagle with some success. It still turns and burns more often than not but every once I a while I can get it to ride mostly straight.
Eric Oakley actually turned me on to flicking the Claymore. He mentioned in a podcast how it can be a great learning tool for that and so far I have to agree with him.

Lucid Felon, DX Valkyrie
Champ Eagle, DX Eagle, Plasma Servo
Z-glo Comet, Opto Claymore
Soft Wizard, Glow Wizard

So I thought I'd lost my Champ Eagle and panic bought a Servo, only to go back a day or two later and find the Eagle after all. I also won an E-Bay auction for a PFN 169 DX Valkyrie on e-bay for 7.50 after shipping/taxes. Got a lengthy practice round in today and I think the Valkyrie may stick around for now. I was sometimes getting it 10-15 feet further than my Eagles which ain't much but every bit helps. The Servo flies more like a Teebird, very straight to fade. It hold anhyzers longer before fighting out as well. I seemed to struggle (more than usual) with nose angles with it, or maybe it just makes it more obvious being a gyro mold. I did park a 240 uphill hole with it that I've only birdied maybe once or twice before, so I may keep it around for a while.

Added the Comet back in. I did a little field work session after the round and it flew the furthest of all my discs the first time I threw them, which I guess proves my nose-up issue. Also I prefer putting with the Glow Wizard, but the Soft is sticking around as my primary thrower.

Shryke, Trespass

Felon, Thunderbird, Pekapeka, Eagle

Rift, Comet

Zone, 2 Invaders

Shot -4 at Big Walnut which is great for me. Shoulda been -5 but i fluffed a 10 footer bc I was rushing. So far I'm still sticking with Invaders. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't try a new fairway since I've been kinda married to Eagles pretty much since I started. Also may try to pick something like a Sol to have a slow really US disc

Felon, Dynasty, Sidewinder, 2 Eagles
Rift, Quake, Sol
Alpaca, Zone

Pulled the high speed stuff out again since the Sidewinder seems to go just as far as the DD's. The Dynasty I'm kinda iffy on still but I like it well enough for now that I'll keep it around. The Quake is really awesome and wish I would have checked one out sooner. The Sol's pretty neat and has kicked the Comet out for now. I'm liking Alapacas so much I ordered 5 more for Black Friday.