• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Adding second set of chains to pre-existing baskets.

Keithzilla

Hey guys,

First of all, I'm not sure if this is where this thread belongs. If it belongs elsewhere, mods feel free to move it.

My club is maintaining a relatively new course with a very limited budget. We had to re-use a set of old Innova baskets from an older course in town that was pulled out because nobody used it. The baskets are in good shape, but they only have a single set of chains and people are pretty unhappy with how many good putts these baskets spit back out. We are planning on adding a second set of chains to the baskets this summer. The problem is that this is an undertaking that none of us in the club have done before.

Firstly, there's "holes" in the top of the basket to accomodate 18 individual chains. this seems like overkill to me. how many individual chains should we add to the inner circle?

Is there a "standard" chain gauge to use? And how far down (in relation to the steel ring already in place) should the second set hang?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Keith

As far as the chain gauge goes, my personal experience is that you should use whatever gauge chain is used on the outer chains.
Chains that are too light will be more likely scar the disc in my experience.
Chains that are too heavy will be more likely to "chain out" soft or off-center putts.

Innova might still sell conversion kits to add an inner chain set to their old single chain baskets. I would contact them to see if they're still available.

When I modded my DB5, I used half the amount of inner chains as outer chains. I placed them at every other gap between the outer chains and attached them to the existing ring.

I find 6 inner chains is usually enough.
Chain size is 2/0 long link.
I get it for $75 for 125' roll from my local bolt/industrial supply house.

If there's 18 spots for chains, put one on every other, so nine will work. Our instep baskets give us spots for seven inner chains and they work great. Try to find chain that matches what's on there, buy a metal ring for each basket, and but dome 1-1/2 inch s-hooks online. It'll likely run you around $15 a basket for the upgrade.

Latest posts