• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Admit it, you throw like a sissy!

I generally prefer my drivers around 172, but I have carried 150 Flicks, 168 and under TeeBirds, and a 150 Blizzard Boss (super fun disc to throw) in the past and loved them and currently carry a 168 Pinnacle Patriot. I also have a 158 S-PD that I keep forgetting to throw in the bag that I'm interested in seeing how it flies.

I wouldn't dare poke fun at what anyone throws unless I know them, and they know I'm being a total smartass.

I throw more like an old man than a sissy. Now if only I could putt like an old man, I'd have something. Until then, I'm tickling chains with my Polecat from 50'+. :\

I have ditched most of my heavy stuff for 165 ish and a few 150 discs when the wind is right. It def makes a differance.

I started throwing light plastic when I realized I could hyzer flip them and make them fly nicely. I've had documented 400ft throws (under ideal conditions) and normally throw 300-350 in rounds. Lately I've added 175 Star Tern, 175 Vibram UnLace to my bag and wow...do they make a difference. I'm getting even more consistent distance with these discs. I throw the heavier understable plastic when there is any kind of wind. The lighter discs tend to do whatever they want in the wind, but the heavier plastic will be more predictable. Granted in too much of a headwind, I'm throwing overstable! lol..

Last edited:
I actually am going through a weird phase. I am throwing mid-range and putters on holes that i used to throw a mid-range or a driver. such as 300 foot holes i pull out a mid range and go for it full power and usually am closed to parked. also the shorter 200 foot holes are done with my McPro Aviar. I love my beat in one. it will fly straight and then anhyzer at the very end of flight.

I thought i had outgrown my under stable stuff , only to realize I suffer from a little wrist roll when trying to throw too hard. Thought I was turning and burning. First big distance improvements came from the hyzer flip. Light weight and under stable is a bit touchy in the wind of course. No big deal, just have to have a few headwind drivers and mids in the bag.
The guy in my group that I mentioned throwing speed 11 and 12 stuff throws anny flex lines and gets good distance. Though not as far as a speed 12 is designed for. Most of the intermediate and slightly older guys throw anny flex lines. Most of theses guys have consistent games and can putt. I feel like I loose snap when throwing anny lines, Not as consistent as would like to be, and working on the putter.:\
I too have a knack for finding the one tree in a ginormous fairway? Yesterday, on a wide open 425 footer, I parked it right behind the one scraggly tree in the fairway to help keep my approach interesting.........and there isn't even leaves on the trees yet.:clap:

The OP topic has been on my mind lately. It frustrates me when on a flat I can get my Vibram putters out 280' and then mids out 290' (a whopping 10' more), and my fairways out 300' but they will land either 30' to the right or left of where I am aiming.
Obviously there is a form issue. I will be focusing on get those mids out a little further over the next few weeks.

All of my speed 7-10 dics are 155g-165g and all my speed 10+ are blizzard. all my friends make fun of me for using such lightweight discs, but when I out drive them all I can do it smile. #noodlearmsunite :)

I've thrown nothing faster or heavier than 150 champ leos and tbirds in the driver slot for years now.

I do prefer slightly heavier mids...I throw a mid-160's x comet as my workhorse mid, and a 180g kc roc on occasion. My aviars are max weight, too.

That is (and has been for quite a while now) the entirety of my bag.

I simply cannot throw any faster or heavier discs and expect better results than I get with the above set up. :)

Edit: Also, I've not really noticed a HUGE difference in the way that wind affects the flight of lower weight discs.

Last edited:
The OP topic has been on my mind lately. It frustrates me when on a flat I can get my Vibram putters out 280' and then mids out 290' (a whopping 10' more), and my fairways out 300' but they will land either 30' to the right or left of where I am aiming.
Obviously there is a form issue. I will be focusing on get those mids out a little further over the next few weeks.

Without seeing what's happening, it's hard to say what's happening - but my guess is that you're not getting enough spin or hand speed on your mids and drivers.

30' of fade is pretty substantial, especially for a mid - so you could also be getting nose up and stalling out. If I am throwing a mid like a buzzz 300' - I might get 10' of fade.

Without seeing what's happening, it's hard to say what's happening - but my guess is that you're not getting enough spin or hand speed on your mids and drivers.

30' of fade is pretty substantial, especially for a mid - so you could also be getting nose up and stalling out. If I am throwing a mid like a buzzz 300' - I might get 10' of fade.
I agree , even noodle arms should be able to get a mid up to speed keep the low speed fade to a minimum. I suffer from nose up stalling at times myself. That's part of the craving for under stable stuff. I can throw my under stable stuff nose up and still get it to roll over enough to glide out and not have to worry about too much fade. Throw em low and fast and they will hold a line.

I've thrown nothing faster or heavier than 150 champ leos and tbirds in the driver slot for years now.

I do prefer slightly heavier mids...I throw a mid-160's x comet as my workhorse mid, and a 180g kc roc on occasion. My aviars are max weight, too.

That is (and has been for quite a while now) the entirety of my bag.

I simply cannot throw any faster or heavier discs and expect better results than I get with the above set up. :)

Edit: Also, I've not really noticed a HUGE difference in the way that wind affects the flight of lower weight discs.

I could prob get away with similar set up, but I carry all kinds of crap...... I have a few rocks I am trying to cycle, but my go to roc is my 180 kc pro for full pulls. I have a roc tuned to comet like flight, but doesn't glide as nice. For shorter up shots I am going with my comet and gonna try to get metal.
I same boat on speed, only a few drivers overs speed nine and two are blizzard also. Another under stable driver I picked up this weekend is a 150 sidewinder. Had it turn over on me twice, but more of a wrist roll issue than an over power issue. I like the sidewinder so far

Discs are just tools, pick the best tools for your game.

Fresh hash marks on field for spring football.........had to head over and play driving range. There was little wind and had up and down wind drives . I warmed up with some mid ranges and was seeing 250-270 with my rocks and comets. Didn't want to wear myself on the mids and went right to my fairways and drivers. As mentioned, I have moved back to lighter, under stable , dx discs in an effort to find easier distance. Most of my fairways and drivers were ending up around 280-300. Side winders, archangels , qjls, blizzard beast, blizzard wraith, Leo's , tee bird, and my maximiser. All between 150-165g in weight.

Once I started to warm up, and throwing lower shots, all my under stable stuff starts to turn over for around 300+\-. Have to throw them high so they don't turn and burn. Similar downwind distances, but don't have to play the high turnovers. All the under stable stuff is good and consistent down wind. Blizzard wraith flies good for me once I am warmed up. Thewraith is 160 and a little beat, so it has a touch of turn and glides out good. I threw a few of them around 320 into the end zone. But once I start to get a little tired, it starts to hyzer out on me and falls short of 300.

My longest, most consistent , and easiest to throw driver is still my maximiser @ 165 g. I have raved about this disc before and I can't deny it performs well for me. For me, it's like a fairway version of a comet. I saw several drives into mid end zone and three drives made it beyond the end zone to find 350ft.

I have a eagle that's 148 an a eagle that's 170 an I throw them both the same no difference really is that odd ?

Not that speed and stability.

You start noticing the difference more as you go wider rims and less HSS.

I have a gummy champ 11x Eagle that, for big-late fades (when you can't hyzer spike), is my farthest driver. I can't flex heavier Eagles near as well.

Latest posts