• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advertisement Banners on trees at Pier Park during Pro Worlds

I just heard that tree shriek. How would you like it if I nailed a sign into a layer of your fat?

I just heard that tree shriek. How would you like it if I nailed a sign into a layer of your fat?

Lung's photo clearly shows the banners were tied around the trees and not nailed.

Huk Lab and DGA split the cost of the new baskets 50-50. That's pretty awesome, and I'm happy to see a tasteful, minimally-distracting logo on those trees (but I'm also very biased, as I've enjoyed watching the company grow since its inception many years ago). It would be pretty sweet if they offered any protection, as I saw a few of them placed on often-hit trees along certain fairways.

Actually.... this is not true. While Huk Lab & DGA did co-sponsor Pier Park for the Worlds event, a large part of the baskets themselves were part of DGA's half of the sponsorship deal. The remaining balance of the baskets were paid for by the Portland Public Parks' Pier Park disc golf fund. (Sources of that fund include private donations and the donation box at hole one.).

This is not to say Huk Lab was not involved in the deal, because Jay @ Huk Lab was certainly critical in getting the Worlds organizing committee in touch with DGA to get that deal rolling. However, HukLab paid for their 1/2 of the course sponsorship using funds raised with Huk Lab designed Worlds specific swag.

I know its a little hard to follow, but I just wanted to make sure Portland Public Parks got credit for their not insignificant investment in these new baskets.

I know some people have problems with ads being splattered all over the place in our society, but I'm completely ok with this... as long as it's just DURING Worlds. If banners and ads start popping up on disc golf courses permanently, that would just look tacky and take away from the nature aspect of the sport. I don't think that's something we need to worry about tho.
Nope, I disagree. I'm fine with occasional advertisements on signage already. If a course had to sell ads and I got new baskets or new pin positions or an extra set of tees out of the deal, I'm good with it. If selling ads is the difference between having the money to keep a course going vs pulling it, have at it. I can look past the ads and still enjoy my walk in the woods.

That's more signage than I found at 36 holes of Milo when I went out to practice, two days before the World Championships.

I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. :thmbup:

For the record, I am a HUGE fan of Huk Lab. I have no less than four Huk Lab dry-fit shirts in my closet with beautiful artwork that I wear to work every week as well as on the course. I'm well aware of the contributions they've made to the local and regional disc golf scene in Portland and the Pacific Northwest, and to large PDGA events. Their support of Pro Worlds was nothing short of amazing, and that would have been true even without the generous Mixed Doubles awards party at their brick and mortar shop in Portland near the Pier Park course.

However, perhaps the small image I posted doesn't give you a sense for how garish these signs were. And for those not familiar, Pier Park is perhaps once of the most jaw-dropping beautiful courses you will ever play. Out of 220+ courses experienced lifetime, it's easily in my top five for sheer aesthetics and natural beauty, and I've felt this way since I first played it in 2004. There's just no words that can express how revered I hold this course and its towering Douglas firs and cedars. To me, seeing about a dozen or so of these huge banners tied up on trees around the course was nothing short of sacrilege. I tried to talk to as many players, staff, and spectators as I could during the week about how they felt about the situation and then I thought I would now ask the disc golf community as well. Face to face, the word of mouth was overwhelmingly not in support. I do understand that there was an agreement with the city parks permission that no additional staking is permitted at the course - this is a standard clause for any party wishing to rent facilities at Pier Park. However, I simply feel that better judgement should have been exercised, both from the initial idea to hang these banners and then later on from those in the reviewal process.

When I go out for a hike with my family in my local state park, I don't want to round a bend and be confronted with a huge billboard for McDonald's. I really wish an alternative could have been devised for Huk Lab to advertise itself rather than a dozen banners hung 20 feet in the air, and which imo interrupted one of the most serene disc golf experiences our sport has to offer.

It was the world championships my man. It was for one week that has occurred one time in the entire life span off Pier Park. You don't think that if there was a world championships of hiking you would see the same things? Good on Huk Lab for the support and good on them for tying advertisement banners instead of nailing them. If one week of this bothers you in the largest event in our sport them I'm not really sure what to say. I guess you can rest easy knowing you don't have to view these unsightly banners until possibly the next time we host PDGA Worlds.

I certainly wouldn't want to see that every day, but I have a hard time seeing a problem with it for a short term event. Every other sport sells advertising, this is pretty much the only way to do that in disc golf in a way that spectators (in person and watching online) can actually see. People are constantly talking about getting sponsorship from outside the sport. I don't think that's realistic, but if it is going to happen we're going to have to accept that they'll want to have something like those banners to show for it. I agree that the course looks nicer without them, but I certainly don't think that's what ruins the serenity of an event with 70+ competitors and apparently hundreds of spectators trampling through the woods already.

It's amazing the things people will nitpick about. It's not a wilderness area, it's a City park in an industrial part of town. If there's not enough banners and signs that indicate "Hey, it's the WORLD championship, it's a BIG deal" people complain - I heard that complaint multiple times from players

A major sponsor and supporter puts up harmless, approved banners and someone goes on a weeklong campaign against them and then tries to after the fact stir the poop online. People are the worst.

If temporary, they at least protected the trees from disc hits for a week.

i thought the signs made absolutely perfect sense in the context of the tournament.

it made the broadcasts appear - GASP - more professional and more 'real sports' like.

i'd hate to see them there outside of a tournament, but in this case.... thumbs up.

As someone who trys to plays pier once a week, I would have been annoyed if Jay didn't have the signs up. When you watch CCDG's coverage of it I think they look great and were great exposure for Huk Lab. It is still amazing to me how many people I meet at pier that either haven't heard of Huk Lab or haven't taken the time to go there yet despite it being 5 min from the course.

....really.....? Did the trees die? Was anybody injured?

It was the world championship right? God forbid someone throw up a few banners for a week after shelling out some cash...

Now the awful AWFUL cutting into the trees and carving them that they did at McCormick is shameful and tasteless. Especially since awesome podium style metal tee signs had been installed at every tee box.

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 71
Now the awful AWFUL cutting into the trees and carving them that they did at McCormick is shameful and tasteless. Especially since awesome podium style metal tee signs had been installed at every tee box.

I had the same thought when I was there, the signposts were really nice, and the tree damage looked tacky and is likely to seriously damage at least a few of those trees.

I had the same thought when I was there, the signposts were really nice, and the tree damage looked tacky and is likely to seriously damage at least a few of those trees.

That was truly heartbreaking to everyone involved with the course at McCormick Park. This act of vandalism was done by someone (we still don't know who) with no approval and no planning. Adding insult to the obvious injury, it was also done WHILE the actual tee signs were being made. So sad. Hopefully the trees survive.