• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice for a 'one discer'...

Jozzz

Eagle Member
I'm sure there have been plenty of thread topics posted about this in the past, but this has a slight tangent to it....

I have a friend who is going to Australia for a couple of years, and while he isn't a regular disc golfer; he is definitely an enthusiast. I wanted to give him a going away "care package," and in doing so I thought he would appreciate ONE disc to use when abroad. I wouldn't be asking an audience as such if I played with him regularly, as lives across the country. He was originally an ultimate player, so he plays great with midranges and 150 class/160g drivers.

So...advice? I throw mostly Innova and Discmania, so I thought a light weight S-line MD2 would be great. Or maybe a Mako or Roc. Anybody have any better ideas?

ETA: I would say his distance maxes out at roughly 300ft...

turso said:
Muh, my choice for one disc rounds is usually my Fuse.

Not feeling like reading the disc review...but I assume that is Lat 64's straight flyer? Opto plastic?

P-MD2. Or S-MD2. Straight C-MD2s work great too (flat and gummy are common symptoms), overstable ones aren't quite as workable.

The Fuse is more on the understable side, but very workable.

Of the discs I know a little about, those I've thrown or throw, a Roc, Buzzz, or Wasp depending on whether or not he likes a bead. I'd also recommend high end plastic; it'll be stable longer, because it will last longer. And have him scour the local scene if there is one.
Fair journey,
'J'

Flipflat said:
Why just one? What's he going to putt with?

Opto fuse plus an Ion would work.

If it was me (and obviously you) I would bring several discs, but I know my friend will pack only the essentials; hence he would only consider one disc for his voyage. Actually, he wouldn't pack one at all unless I gave him one, hence my reasoning for this thread.

So far it sounds like the best options would be a MD-2, Buzz, or Fuse. I appreciate all of the input!

On a side note, would having a lighter weight disc help given his max D? My max weight C and S-line MD-2s are excellent for manipulating lines, but I don't know how this would translate for his caliber of play.

i will throw out the new scout. the fuse roc buzz shark coyote all good choices. A star aero might work as well since he was an ultima player.

I dont think he would get extra distance from a lighter mid-range, usually the heavier ones are straighter and more dependable. Lot of weight on the rim -> lot of spin -> $$$.

I would also recommend a C-MD2, if you can find a pink gummy one, then thats the disc you want to give him. Maybe de-flash it a little, so its more comfy in the hand. :)

I dont know if I like agreeing with Jubuttib on everything, but what can you do, the man has a great taste. :D

We sometimes play single disc rounds. I think it's fun.

I'd recommend z buzzz or p/c-md2 as well. For shorter courses maybe star dart but in the end it's what works for you for approaches and putting.

I think the disc that plays the role of fairway driver mid and putter best would be the Z Buzzz. I have had some of my best rounds when I stuck to using that one disc for all shots but the putts. It also works well as a putter but it is hard for me to not putt with a wizard.

I'd recommend the Comet to someone coming from an ultimate background; that's normally the disc I suggest to anyone new to the game, and I think it's touch and glide are similar to that of an ultimate lid. It also makes a decent putter.