• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice for running a league?

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
So I live in a very small area of the country, and the disc golf scene is very very very very small.

There's two, 9 hole ski hill couses in the area, and of course UP Mountain Man's monstrous course, and that's about it.

I kind of dipped my toes into organizing a little bit at the end of last year, just kind of set up a weekly meet up rotaing between courses , advertised on our fb page, and bought a few discs to give away as prizes. One night we got about 10 people (two were from a well established league an hour south of me) and everone agreed to pitch in $3; $2 for winner $1 for CTP. All went well.

Well for this yeas I've been thinking of putting out more flyers advertising for the league; I'm thinking of having it be $3 entry fee (same payout as above), CTP's, getting random disc prizes and whatnot, maybe seeing if our local Dunham's Sports store can sponser something, and having some sort of barbeque at the end of the season or something.

There's been a couple more people that have really gotten bitten by the dg bug around here, but it is of course a very small scene, so what do you guys have in terms of advice for me?

My only real worry is about the money; I hate taking money from people, and with our small scene I worry the cash may go to the same few people week after week and people may get discouraged. I have though about doing it as a random draw best shot doubles, but it would be good to at least get 12 people regularly for that.

Thanks yall!

We did a handicapped league last year that spread the cash out pretty well. The players showing the most improvement were winning every week, which encouraged more beginners to play. Random doubles is great for meeting and getting to know other players, and a good way to learn a variety of throws from players of all skill levels.

Random draw doubles sounds like a good option to me. Make a pro and am pool if you need to so the teams aren't getting stacked and partner a pro with an am. Fun way to get people involved. The CTP sounds fun and all, but that's putting you at a risk to lose money if people aren't showing up. You could switch to an ace pool. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I have been going to a dubs league an hour away that regularly gets 20-40 people, and I have been taking notes based on them.

It's lots of fun and pros (literally there's an Innova sponsered player down there) get matched with beginners occasionally and for sure that can balance things out and provide a learning experience.

So maybe I'll toss the CTP and go with ace pool, one that continues to build week by week till an ace is hit?

Also, should I maybe raise it to $4 and have a dollar of each go towards raffling some sort of prize weekly? Just a thought.

I'd say have an idea of what you expect out of the league going in. If it's all about getting more people involved maybe run a handicap league, something to encourage newer players. Or if you're just looking for some regular competitive golf maybe doubles or another format. Knowing what you want to be before you start helps you remain consistent when people start voicing their criticisms. That's not to say that you wanna be inflexible, but once league starts people will start voicing their opinions. People will respect you more if you can say why you're doing things the way you are as opposed to changing things up as soon as somebody thinks it should be done different. Make entry an even $5, too much hassle having singles all the time.

And maybe come up with an incentive for women and kids to come out.

$5 entry, $1 to CTP, $1 to Ace pool, $3 to payout.

Onus is on you then to have change available.

Random Draw Dubs is ideal, but you might run into issues with A Pool/B Pool.

Having extra side prizes helps bring out lower level players and to keep them interested.

I'll be up at Lake Gogibic for two weeks in September. If there's a league, I'd love to come give away some money! :D I'll check back to this post later and see what you setup for a league. Also, when does Zion pull baskets?

Could either:

Try a handicapped league. First couple weeks set your handicap...then draw matches each week. A 54 shooter would give a 70 shooter 16 shots. Do it points per hole, or a specified point total for winning.

Or

Match play. Head to head, 2 pts. per hole. As soon as someone gets ahead two holes, they give their opponent a shot on the next hole. Most matches end up around 18-18. Biggest spread is typically 22-14.

I'll be up at Lake Gogibic for two weeks in September. If there's a league, I'd love to come give away some money! :D I'll check back to this post later and see what you setup for a league. Also, when does Zion pull baskets?

Awesome! They come down usually after the 2nd week of October.

I'm leaning towards dubs so that the comp can be evened out a bit and more beginners are encouraged to play. Either way I'm gonna have something going Thursdays at 6pm - rotating between Zion and Mt Man's couse.

I have a fb page called Gogebic Area Disc Golf Club that'll have the schedule, it'll be going from May-Sept.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Latest posts