• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on Horseshoe Canyon Ranch - Jasper, AR

jsc430

Double Eagle Member
All the reviews say that HCR is a must play so some some friends and I are going to stop in Jasper, AR next week while on a DG road trip.

Since this course is rarely played, scantly maintained, and generally in BFE, I was hoping to get an update on course conditions from someone who's played it recently. Although, I think 0-5 yrs counts as "recently" for this course.

Since most reviews list it as a con, my biggest concern is navigability. How bad is it going to be for a first timer? Some of the reviews actually make it seem like it is getting to the point of safari golf since all of the tees signs have been knocked down.

Any info on HCR is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the staff hasn't been that much help and sounds like the course gets little to no attention. I love a quiet, challenging, scenic course but it is seriously in BFE so i don't want to go that far into the Ozarks without knowing what to expect.

Here's a pic of their hours of operation:

Attachments

• hcr.JPG
    hcr.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 32
Its true, no one evvvvvver plays this course. I'm starting to think maybe you can deduct points for a course being to far away....

If I didn't have an eye infection, I would have been able to go by HCR this week:mad:. I was going to go to Branson with my parents and take the scenic route to go by there, but not now.

:wall:

So I played HCR this spring during a student trip I was leading. We were on a climbing trip, but luckily all of the participants were also throwers so we brought our discs with us.

The course was great and definitely worth a visit. The only down side is like others have mentioned that the owners don't put enough energy into upkeeping the course.

You had questioned navigating the course, its tricky but manageable. There are no maps available, but one of the managers gave us a verbal description and pointed out some holes form the front porch of the trading post. The course is quite large and encompasses the majority of the large canyon it sits it. When you drive in the driveway for the ranch you will instantly see what i mean.

The course is missing signs and tee pad markers, but like I mentioned we managed and still found the course very playable and enjoyable. Most of the tees were findable minus 2 or 3. Those were there but damaged. The ranch is a working ranch so many of the wholes play though pasture land, so be aware of hazards. The tees in the pasture were marked with a pink ball thing that could sometimes be trampled by the goats.

If you have already got a trip planned I would stick with this course. I thought it was a great course. If it were signed a little better and closer to populations this would a top rated course.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

^^^^ Thanks alot Tim, great response. I was actually just talkign to my buddy about this before I saw this post. We decided to print (or save on iphone) the pictures on this site to give us a better idea of the hole layout.

Its really disappointng that this course has so much potential and its doesn't get any attention.

Can you think of any hole transitions they were paticulaly difficult? Blind holes or any places where losing a disc is real possibility?

^^^^ Thanks alot Tim, great response. I was actually just talkign to my buddy about this before I saw this post. We decided to print (or save on iphone) the pictures on this site to give us a better idea of the hole layout.

Its really disappointng that this course has so much potential and its doesn't get any attention.

Can you think of any hole transitions they were paticulaly difficult? Blind holes or any places where losing a disc is real possibility?

Read Razorbackramzeys review. At the end of each hole description, I think he says which way to the next hole. Just print out his review, if possible. It is the longest review that I have read so far.