• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advise for a new course please

craigd

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I have a chance to build/design a course. It will be in a park here in Kennesaw, Georgia where I live. I have pitched the course to several people and there are several highly ranking city officials on board. Now it has come to a point where it is a watch and wait situation. I feel very positive that this could happen and am pretty excited.

I will get to the point in a few minutes but I feel like I need to give some more background. Here are the pros. This is a park in an existing neighborhood. It is small, about six acres. The property itself is pretty cool. It has rolling hills, 1/3 is densely wooded, 1/3 is somewhat open with many mature trees all around with little or no undergrowth, finally the last 1/3 is wide open. There is a creek running right through the middle so it is very nice.

Ok, now for the cons. It could only have 9 holes tops. They would have to be pretty short. I think 200' would be the longest hole. A few would only be 100'-125'. Pins and tees might be pretty close to one another in some cases.

This is a park that used to have a playground and basketball course but have since been removed, mainly because of vandalism, due to a few middle and high school punks. Now the park sits blank and waiting for some sort of rejuvenation. The city wants something that will bring older folks to the park to help keep an adult presence around for safety.

I really think a good course could be put here. I think I have convinced the powers that be for the most part. I think this is a nice opportunity to introduce younger players and families to disc golf, not to mention all the other benefits that would take forever to type and I would just be preaching to the choir.

Now for the questions. If this short new course was built in your area, would you come and play it? If you lived close would you help develop it and help it mature or would the fact that it is so short keep you away? I have read plenty reviews that say that short courses are a big con, not to mention it only will have 9 holes. If this happens I am most likely going to have to invest quite a bit of time and energy and I would hate for it to fail. The city would most likely pay for baskets and some labor. There is a chance that the community service labor could help as well. I am sure they would hate for it to fail also. With that entirely said let me know your honest opinion about this. If you have the time please be thorough with your answers. I will be sharing all of the feedback with the city.

First of all, I wish you well with this venture.

Now I don't believe that I'm typical of most of the people who post on this site. I believe that most "posters" have home courses that are pretty close to them. And a lot of people on here have easy access to a couple or even several courses.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of nowhere and have to drive an hour to get to the closest course to me. So even a short course with only nine holes would be very appealing to me if it was within that kind of drive or less. As a matter of fact, the closest course to me, Shawnee State Park, is a short 9 hole course. It was well thought out, though, and is fun to play. No, it's not the most challenging course. And if there were other options in the area it wouldn't be my first choice. But I would definitely still play it a few times a Summer and any time I was driving by it to go shopping with my wife, etc.

I'm also working on getting a course established in my area. One of the most likely parks that I've layed out nine holes on with my practice baskets sounds a lot like your park. Hearing potentially good stories like yours keeps me holding out hope for a local course in my area.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't drive too far to play a course that short unless it had some kind of AMAZING layout. If it were within several miles of my house then sure, I'd be there all the time. 6 acres seems like enough land for 9 well-laid holes, why do they have to be so short?

Well they might be a little longer. I guess it might be underestimating in order to be sure not to set too high of an expectation. Let me update that post to say 150'-200'. I am sure I could make that happen.

multiple tees are a near must for 9 hole courses- lets people have a chance to play 18 different holes if they want to. since you have some woods you should be able to generate completely different looks on a couple of holes at least instead of simply having the same shot but slightly longer.

check out bluemont park in arlington va for a great example of what can be done with a postage stamp of land. http://www.geocities.com/bluemontvirginia/

multiple tees are a near must for 9 hole courses- lets people have a chance to play 18 different holes if they want to. since you have some woods you should be able to generate completely different looks on a couple of holes at least instead of simply having the same shot but slightly longer.

check out bluemont park in arlington va for a great example of what can be done with a postage stamp of land. http://www.geocities.com/bluemontvirginia/

I think there is room for that and I going to try to add them for sure. Thanks

You really should get a few buddies who play this game to go out to the property with you and do walk-throughs and let each one give his/her opinion and take it from there. Nothing like being on the property to get the IDEAS brewing.

You really should get a few buddies who play this game to go out to the property with you and do walk-throughs and let each one give his/her opinion and take it from there. Nothing like being on the property to get the IDEAS brewing.

For sure. I would love to have a temp course out there to really fine tune things and get the most out of what's available...

This is a park that used to have a playground and basketball course but have since been removed, mainly because of vandalism, due to a few middle and high school punks. Now the park sits blank and waiting for some sort of rejuvenation. The city wants something that will bring older folks to the park to help keep an adult presence around for safety.

Kudos on your idea and good luck on the project, sounds like an ideal place for disc golf. A gentle reminder that disc golf baskets are prime targets for assholes like this - two of my home courses have suffered stollen baskets in the past two years. One was recovered, the other was not, but just something to keep in mind.

I started my course with getting permission for a object course and now Park and rec has put in for 9 baskets. The thing that is really helpful is the ability to change an object course easier than others. I designed the course with every hole having a basket location in mind and picking objects close by to be the targets. By going at it this way you can fine tune things before you get the baskets and then just place them. Basically if you get the go ahead then get started, the laying out of a good course takes a while so have fun. The more the merrier though, and if you put the thought into is sounds like you will then it will be a good course.

This sounds like a perfect course to introduce new players too. Also, this course would also attract the older folks and families that the city wants. Multiple tees would be great for more advanced players, using mandos and incorporating the creek is a great way to increase the difficulty level for shorter holes. This could be a stepping stone to a more advanced course some where else in or near your city. Keep us posted on the progress and good luck with it.

craig, for sure its a good idea!! I have one course around be that averages about 120 ft. per hole (9 holes) and I wish there were more! Short courses mean more ace oppertunities, and theres nothing better than an ace. Good luck man! Also I personaly recomend not adding extra tees, the courses ive been to that share baskets just end up being messy because you have to wait and watch for other players, also if the property is as small as you say it is, it would probably get cramped with extra tees. But its your call, good luck again

Craig,

I would like to second or third the good idea vote. There are many well thought out 9 hole courses around. It sounds like you have a pretty good piece of land. Read the reviews on Mineral Springs in Seattle. It's right in the city and sits on 3-4 acres. There are a certain percentage of disc golfers with big arms who prefer to play the bigger 18 courses. But with that being said, there are older and younger players, families and beginners who are thrilled with their local 9 holes courses. The other thing you didn't mention is what other courses are around and how close are they? I read about golfers on here who have to drive an hour to play. I feel sorry for them.

I say Go for it! And Good Luck!

Actually there is only one other course in the county (Cobb). It is also a nine hole and somewhat crowded, it's named Oregon park. (Marietta Ga.). After that most courses are going to take 45 min to drive to. They are some good courses so they are worth the drive. I am meeting with the city Parks and Rec person hopefully this week.. I just got an e-mail last night and he wants to discuss the proposal further with me. I will keep you posted. If I am successful with this I will let you guys know what seemed to work and not work with the process in case someone else wants to get one in their area.

Great idea and yes I would play a course that short. The trick is to have variety in the areas that you have control over since distance is pretty well set. DG is usually a good way to get traffic in a park and to help keep "undesirable" elements out. I live where there is no course close to my house so any course would be an improvement. Short courses can be lots of fun.

Visit and play as many courses as you possibly can. (Easier said then done.) Look at as many club websites as possible for pictures of holes. Watch DVD's of tournaments. You're on the right track looking for info here and best of luck!

If you really do have 6 full acres to work with, it doesn't have to be THAT short. There are a couple of courses here in the Portland area on about 5 acres, and they've got a couple of 300-foot holes.

The course closest to my home is a short 9 hole course. Bailey Rd Park in Cornelius, NC. I still go play it as often as I get a chance. It's nothing special, but it is quick and has baskets.

Well, since Im your brother and I've walked the land with you. And well, I just feel like posting something. I say go for it!! it will fit. and if you build it, they will come. I only wish I lived down there to help out.
I also think even though its called White Oak, once the course is up and running, it should be re-named to Craigs Corner DGC or something.
I say take in any fairway advice you can get from fellow dg'ers but You make the final call.
You have the rare opportunity here to completely be the designer/CEO(if you will) of your course.
I think many DCGR members would agree, This is a chance of a dg'ers lifetime.
good luck, I'll be in town as often as i can to help bro.

Dude. I live in Marietta, so first of all, God Bless You if you can make this happen. I can't express my excitement at reading this thread.

Second, and most important, there are a couple of active disc golf organizations in the area. If you aren't a member of one or both, by all means, they'd love to help you in this venture. Below are links to their websites. You absolutely MUST get in touch with them, especially if you want help designing the course. If you haven't broken the news to either of these groups yet (I hope you're a member of one or both and you already have), it would be a major bombshell. Cobb County is desperate for an 18-hole course, but nobody is going to turn down the chance at a second 9-holer, and it would be a gateway to more and larger courses. Git 'er done! :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.discgolfatlanta.com

http://ngdgc.org/default.aspx

Last edited:

Latest posts