• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Age Protected Amateurs Playing a 4th Round of the Weekend

Heh, a little update for this thread. I took my son to Peoria over the Memorial Day holiday so he could practice his MJ-15 courses for worlds. I played along as well, and yes, this included a 4th round of the weekend. This time however, the courses in question were Wildlife Park and then Northwood.

It took me 4 days after getting home to fully recover. That Wildlife course is no joke!! One of the most rugged and physically demanding courses I've ever experienced, and at the same time it had some of the most memorable holes too.

I've been hobbling around like the zombie I nearly am for the last four days. I finally feel decent just today. Time for more Disc!!

I've been hobbling around like I was an extra on the set of Michael Jackson's Thriller up until today.

Ha haha. Nice old guy joke.

larger.jpg

Ha haha. Nice old guy joke.

larger.jpg

I actually edited and changed that because I wasn't sure the zombies hobbled much, or were dancing real well. It's been a few decades since I've seen the video.

That reminds me...In 1983, my best friend's mom rented a VCR and that tape for his birthday so we could watch it at his 10th birthday party. VCR's were still pretty pricey at that point.

Heh, a little update for this thread. I took my son to Peoria over the Memorial Day holiday so he could practice his MJ-15 courses for worlds. I played along as well, and yes, this included a 4th round of the weekend. This time however, the courses in question were Wildlife Park and then Northwood.

It took me 4 days after getting home to fully recover. That Wildlife course is no joke!! One of the most rugged and physically demanding courses I've ever experienced, and at the same time it had some of the most memorable holes too.

I've been hobbling around like the zombie I nearly am for the last four days. I finally feel decent just today. Time for more Disc!!

MJ-15 is laying Wildlife....?

That is nuts...

MJ-15 is laying Wildlife....?

That is nuts...

I'm sure hoping they have us playing the shorts there. I know some of the very top players who turn 15 will be fine (Luke Taylor won MJ-15 last year, an awesome up-and-comer from Michigan who is somewhere around 1005 rated right now). There are a couple of water carries from the longs that look over 300'. My kid is 12 turning 13 this year and I'm not sure he can carry that first one, and he's one of the biggest bombers at age 12 you'll find. He can hit 350', but I'm not sure how far that carry is, looks real far. If you can't carry that one, there's a skinny trail around to the left with brutal head-high rough all the way, looks like about three or maybe four careful putter shots to play around.

He did okay elsewhere on the course, throw-wise. It was 90 degrees when we played it and we both drank all the water we had, which was a ton, by about hole #10. They weren't kidding in the reviews of that place about how rugged and physically demanding it is. I sure loved a bunch of those woods holes though!

Yeah, MJ-15 plays it and Sunset Hills twice before the cut, and the 40% who make the cut will play Wildlife a third time.

Last edited:
I believe that Beast/Goliath, Beauty, Leviathan, Whiskey Hills should probably be on that list as well. We are pretty blessed with both the land and interested disc golfers to have such a trove. All while, KZoo, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor really having destination worthy collections, in their own right.

Yes this area is excellent, but we've had some issues that are hopefully being fixed.

Beauty took some serious wind damage and the baskets will be put back up next week, with new tee pads going in before States.

Leviathan is still getting some more work. Needs new signage and 4-5 tee pads which arent right, 1 in the shorts, a few in the longs. Leviathan Longs is still an awesome, really challenging course. My favorite around for best shot doubles.

Whiskey will be taken out after this summer. The camp ground that owns it doesnt feel it makes them any money compared to the upkeep and hassle. Bummer.

Labyrinth at West Shore Community College wasnt listed. Its my favorite place to play around here. Its not difficult, but its a really beautiful property with rolling, grassy hills and 5-6 wooded holes. Perfect course. Longs tee pads if you want it harder.

Yes this area is excellent, but we've had some issues that are hopefully being fixed.

Beauty took some serious wind damage and the baskets will be put back up next week, with new tee pads going in before States.

Leviathan is still getting some more work. Needs new signage and 4-5 tee pads which arent right, 1 in the shorts, a few in the longs. Leviathan Longs is still an awesome, really challenging course. My favorite around for best shot doubles.

Whiskey will be taken out after this summer. The camp ground that owns it doesnt feel it makes them any money compared to the upkeep and hassle. Bummer.

Labyrinth at West Shore Community College wasnt listed. Its my favorite place to play around here. Its not difficult, but its a really beautiful property with rolling, grassy hills and 5-6 wooded holes. Perfect course. Longs tee pads if you want it harder.

Good post. I did not know we are losing Whiskey. Looks like I will have to take a trip out that way this season. Hope you don't mind, I am going to post your post over on the Michigan Course Update page. :hfive:

I recall when I played US Masters in 2014 it was 5 rounds even for ams and plus a final for some pro divisions.

I recall when I played US Masters in 2014 it was 5 rounds even for ams and plus a final for some pro divisions.

Yeah, I have no problem with endurance being one of the challenges of a world championship for old farts, especially with me not being interested in participating. I played in my one and only worlds back in 2000. Got to play Toboggan in its debut! And it poured rain in buckets.

How did I do? 140th in Am-1 out of about 250. Wheeeee! I tied Greg Barsby from, I think, the same tees. Of course, he was 12 or 13. I was in the peak physical condition of my life at age 27. Climo got us by 83 strokes from the same tees for the first 120 holes before he played more in subsequent rounds and won his 10th world championship.

Kudos to Dr. Rick Voakes for making lead card on the final 9 of the world freaking championships at about the age I am today!! Perhaps the last serious feat like this for the old guys. I was standing ten feet or so behind him when an early release of his pegged people standing in the crowd on that final 9 at Hudson Mills. I'll never forget it.

Latest posts