• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Air Zoo Course Closed

Mulligan McGee

Birdie Member
I have just been informed that the Air Zoo has permanently closed its disc golf course and will be removing the baskets tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who made playing on that course so much fun.

I have just been informed that the Air Zoo has permanently closed its disc golf course and will be removing the baskets tomorrow. Thank you to everyone who made playing on that course so much fun.

Why is it being pulled?

Regardless of the reason, sorry for your loss.

Why is it being pulled?

Regardless of the reason, sorry for your loss.

This was our area's busy/easy course that had more than its share of punks. In the four years the course has existed, the Air Zoo (which is an aviation museum) has always threatened to pull the course due to rampant vandalism, drinking, shirtless-playing young a--holes.

It pains me to see the sport becoming overrun with these ne'er-do-wells. When I was in my early twenties two decades ago, Disc Golf was reknown for the opposite effect, taking trashy public parks and transforming them into safer areas due to the increased positive traffic.

When you have something awesome and inexpensive, it's going to bring 'em out of the woodwork, especially now that we're nearing the critical mass it's going to take before there are pay-to-play options feasibly operating in bigger quantities.

I remember, though, the surly crowds that used to inhabit Brewer Park near Grand Rapids when I played there a lot in the '90s. It was that type of atmosphere here sometimes, but next to an A-level museum where they had an image to uphold for the general public.

I knew this day was coming, but wished it never would.

I'd love to see Prairie View Park get those baskets, now that they're available...

I remember, though, the surly crowds that used to inhabit Brewer Park near Grand Rapids when I played there a lot in the '90s. It was that type of atmosphere here sometimes, but next to an A-level museum where they had an image to uphold for the general public.

I knew this day was coming, but wished it never would.

I'd love to see Prairie View Park get those baskets, now that they're available...

Brewer is where I learned the game around 10 years ago. Even then, it was still a bunch of teens and low lifes just looking for a place to get high without persecution. I recently started going back to it about 2 years ago, and seems to be better. More of a police presence for sure. Couple regulars said that Kent County had started putting under cover cops there to see who was actually discing and who was just there to get high.

I live a couple miles away from it now. the new two 18 hole course configuration took some time to get used to for me.

back on topic though, I never did get a chance to play at the Air Zoo course. How was it?

That sucks, but I'm not surprised. Of all the courses in the area, I have ran into more dip****s there than anywhere else.

We used to joke that you could enjoy Brewer if you got there before the metalheads woke up at noon. Maybe it's different now; I haven't played it since they first redid it maybe 12 years ago or so? I'll never forget playing through a group of 17. I counted them. Lots of 40's in paper bags (which might've been liquor bottles instead?). When I got 200' ahead of them, the Discs started landing around me. Typical.

The Air Zoo was super easy but with some interesting woods holes. I used to be a mediocre Am-1 player 15 years ago, have no power by today's standards and have shot -10 there. I would imagine pros would be upset if they didn't deuce 9/10 holes.

It was fun, though; that's the key. Some open holes, some wooded holes, and someone like me who throws no more than 300' got to pull my driver out on a couple of them.

Makes me sick that they shut the Air Zoo down. They just built a bunch of brand new benches and the course was in great shape. Very easy to get a round of about 60 minutes in on lunch break. Unreal punks and white trash ruining this for all of the real disc golfers. Really pissed of about this.

it's not only on the people who were being *******s, it's on the people who allowed people the *******s to be

I hear that Michigan public disc golf courses draw a rougher crowd than what we are used to in nc...

it's not only on the people who were being *******s, it's on the people who allowed people the *******s to be

to a certain extent this is true.

it seems that geography is the biggest determining factor when it comes to ****heads on the course. Being that Air Zoo was in the middle of a metropolitan area there were a lot of lower income and trashy people in general that didn't have much else to do than go and drink, smoke and bathe at the air zoo. In Grand Rapids, the courses "in the city" have had a tumultuous history as well. Old Farm, Jaycees, Riverside, Johnson and Brewer are all in far rougher shape than say Fallasburg, Cascade and some of the other outlying courses. But I am sure this is true of any state. It's not just a michigan thing.

Latest posts