• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alas poor MacBeth, we hardly knew ye

A carpenter won 12x.

Exactly. People in here mention he beat a bunch of weekend warrior part timers who held day jobs, but also forget that Climo himself was a weekend warrior with a day job too.

Climo wasn't spending his weekdays getting spa treatment and having a personal trainer. The guy spent his weekdays in the hot Florida weather pounding nails into wood.

The guy won 12 titles with nowhere near the level of support that Paul currently has. Nowhere near the level of sponsor support, income, and travel support. That all matters bigtime. Paul is a beast not taking anything away from him.

Paul McBeth is something else. I tend to root against him but he is so good for the sport. He's the first disc golfer that I ever saw kids worshiping and emulating as a sports hero (starting back in about 2014). He manages his game and image so well.

And kudos to both he and Discraft on taking a big risk and succeeding. I am impressed.

Disclaimer 1) I know it's spelled McBeth, it makes the play on words more...pompous? No, that can't be it

Disclaimer 2) I'm either committing the vilest heresy or saving saving the brightest star in DG

Disclaimer 3) I wasn't paying attention to DG until last year so I didn't experience 2012-2015 for all the historical perspective

OK, here we go: McBeth is done. I predict he'll be 1030 rated before he's ever 1050 rated again; if he is ever rated that high again. No DGPT or NT first places the rest of the year and more finishes out of the top 10 than in. I can't tell you how painful it is to type this: Don't waste your Skip Ace picks.

I feel sick and sad and I hope I'm wrong and I hope every last poster tears me to pieces with acerbic wit and irrefutable arguments against. And if anyone mentions marriage or wife, may you be blessed with the peaceful relationship you deserve

Let the flaming begin!

And another win for Paul. :)

VLa hasn't been logged in for a month. So we have Worlds and MVP since then, right?

I've said it before and I still feel the same way. I like the original post and thought it was some good, fun, tongue in cheek stuff.

Congrats Paul on proving VLa wrong, yet again, as per his request.

Be well, VLa!

Last edited:
In the end, it was really Paul vs. Ricky, but if Ricky had shot just slightly better in Round One or Two, he could have won.

And if Paul had shot just slightly better in any round, it wouldn't have been even close. Sheesh.

I have huge respect for Ricky and what he did for Worlds in those last three rounds.
Especially the last round.
Huge respect.
However...
I just got the impression that Paul let his foot off the gas a bit when he had a 4 throw lead with three to go.
He started playing less aggressively because he knew it was easier to lose multiple strokes than it was to gain them.
Saying it was a one-stroke victory is technically true, but that may not reflect the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Comparing Climo to McBeth is like comparing Palmer to Woods or Ruth to Aaron to Mcgwire etc. Too many differences through time and differing opinions to really determine the best. It's fun to discuss and all but Climo will always be "The Champ" as far as I'm concerned. In ten years there will be a new superstar rising that everyone will compare to McBeth etc...

Climo is The Champ.

McBeth is The GOAT (at least right now, future generations will have something to say about that).

I think PMcB might be the last guy to ever win 5x Worlds. The level of competition isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We are in a "Tiger Woods era," and those might just be once a generation.

We may enter a new era in the next decade wherein 10 consecutive Worlds have 10 different champions.

I think PMcB might be the last guy to ever win 5x Worlds. The level of competition isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We are in a "Tiger Woods era," and those might just be once a generation.

We may enter a new era in the next decade wherein 10 consecutive Worlds have 10 different champions.

IDK. I compete in Motorcycle Mototrials which is a specialized and ridiculously demanding sport (not in my class, though). :| We have a TEN time national champ (Phil Smage), so I'm thinking some more freaks might still be out there in the relatively sedate world of DG

Am I hearing you correctly here where you are saying he spent all day, every day....training?

Not at all. Spending your days doing manual repetitive labor isn't the way an athlete should be spending their down time. That often leads to cumulative trauma and tissue damage over time.

Pro athletes nowadays spend their downtime getting treatment, yoga, and working on sport specific skills.

Having manual labor day jobs was not good for those old school players like Kenny and pretty much all the players pre 2012ish.

I know the champ can't really play much anymore and hasn't since 2016. I'm sure a career throwing frisbees contributed some to that but I'd wager being a day laborer contributed to that as well.

Does anyone know right off how many tournaments Paul has won this year? How many played versus how many won?

He is 13/21 this year, with five second place finishes, and no finishes outside of the top ten.

Hey man, he may win 10 for all I know, but I think once PMcB's heyday is over, there won't be anyone as dominant again, at least not for a long time.

I don't know, there are some very quality young players out there. Read of Gannon Buhr who is only 14 years old and a 1000 rated player. I enjoy watching those young kids develop. True, pre-20015 not many dreamed of being pro disc golfers because it was not financially plausible. These days more. The recent Worlds has 1.2 million views on Jomez Pro and they have 150K subscribers - was only 100K not long ago. The sport is definitely growing. PMcB is a major reason for this.

Latest posts