• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments!

Please, teach me.
I understand you're asserting that bounce backs off the pole, cut-thrus and glancing blow misses have nothing to do with the chain configuration but it's unclear why you think different chain patterns and positions are not directly responsible.

Why is it you never hear about basket complaints from tournaments with DisCatchers? :popcorn:

I understand you're asserting that bounce backs off the pole, cut-thrus and glancing blow misses have nothing to do with the chain configuration but it's unclear why you think different chain patterns and positions are not directly responsible.

I am saying that the specific place on a chain pattern that your disc impacts has a negligible impact on the viability of that putt. ie if you hit the chains at 156 degrees is about the same as 157 degrees.

I am saying that the specific place on a chain pattern that your disc impacts has a negligible impact on the viability of that putt. ie if you hit the chains at 156 degrees is about the same as 157 degrees.
Nope. Not sure why you think that makes any sense? A decimal degree difference is why some putts stick and others don't. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having the discussion about why there appear to be random spits for essentially the same throw and contact.

Chucks right. Imagine the chain configuration projected onto 2 dimensions (like youre shining a flashlight straight on at the chains and examining the shadow). It wont be solid coverage due to the distance between chains; there will be gaps of light between the shadows. As you rotate the basket the number and size of those gaps of light between chains wiill increase/decrease.

Whatever angle of the basket produces closest to a total shadow would be the safest to putt at with regard to blowthroughs.

Nope. Not sure why you think that makes any sense? A decimal degree difference is why some putts stick and others don't. Otherwise, we wouldn't be having the discussion about why there appear to be random spits for essentially the same throw and contact.

Chucks right. Imagine the chain configuration projected onto 2 dimensions (like youre shining a flashlight straight on at the chains and examining the shadow). It wont be solid coverage due to the distance between chains; there will be gaps of light between the shadows. As you rotate the basket the number and size of those gaps of light between chains wiill increase/decrease.

Whatever angle of the basket produces closest to a total shadow would be the safest to putt at with regard to blowthroughs.

I respectfully disagree with both of you. The reason we are talking about what appears to be random spits is that they are not essentially the same throw, they are altogether different throws that disc golfers are interpreting as the same.

Am I saying there is absolutely no mathematical difference? Not at all, butterfly in China and all that. But the idea that seemingly identical throws get treated differently based on how the chain configuration is facing the thrower is an urban legend.

Bad putts get spit out, not unlucky ones.

So what is the correct speed, angle, spin, plastic type, height, and weight for the perfect non spit out putt on each type of basket.....?

......anyone?

(And you must also include the variances between wind speed and direction. Precipitation and the affect of the sound waves of thunder)

BTW Chuck, I know you must have some new basket configuration invented in your mind that solves the issues you spin into life. I applaud the restraint you are showing, waiting until the issue is to the point where you can maximize your patent term ;)

https://youtu.be/VTD8iVOkJpI?t=17m21s

I couldn't figure how this spit through would have happened on a Mach X...the putt wouldn't have been able to move the center chains out of the way.

More glance outs from off center putts on the Mach X? Yes. More push outs by the "weight" of the chains for weak, high putts, yes. For hard dead center putts though, I think the X catches the best by far. That's just my experience.

Maybe it's all coincidence? Other cards that day, not on film, may have had great long putts and throw ins stick...

I respectfully disagree with both of you. The reason we are talking about what appears to be random spits is that they are not essentially the same throw, they are altogether different throws that disc golfers are interpreting as the same.

Am I saying there is absolutely no mathematical difference? Not at all, butterfly in China and all that. But the idea that seemingly identical throws get treated differently based on how the chain configuration is facing the thrower is an urban legend.

Bad putts get spit out, not unlucky ones.
Two throws the same (minuscule random possibility that can happen) with target rotated or elevated by a millimeter between throws will produce different results. In fact, the second thrower among worst shot partners (identical twins) putting from the same mark with the same exact putter and throw will be facing a slightly different basket after his brother removes his putter even if he adjusts the chains. Even the energy from absorbing the first putt slightly changes the link temps. Yes, butterfly effect.

Two slightly different throws (speed,spin) hitting the exact same spot on the chains will also produce different results. It's possible to reduce the variance in results by tweaking the basket design but not with outer chains.

BTW Chuck, I know you must have some new basket configuration invented in your mind that solves the issues you spin into life. I applaud the restraint you are showing, waiting until the issue is to the point where you can maximize your patent term ;)
I'll surprise everyone and post it later tonight. No patent applied. For discussion purposes only.

https://youtu.be/VTD8iVOkJpI?t=17m21s

I couldn't figure how this spit through would have happened on a Mach X...the putt wouldn't have been able to move the center chains out of the way.

More glance outs from off center putts on the Mach X? Yes. More push outs by the "weight" of the chains for weak, high putts, yes. For hard dead center putts though, I think the X catches the best by far. That's just my experience.

Maybe it's all coincidence? Other cards that day, not on film, may have had great long putts and throw ins stick...

Yep, that was the consensus around Delaveaga when we upgraded to the Mach Xs. It tends to shrug off weaker putts, especially is they are off-center or nose up, but it will often grab a hard putt in the same spot that penetrates the chains. Seems to have less chain-throughs on dead center hard putts, which is what most people really liked. Still get the occasional defection off the pole that spits back. Overall the guys that really bang the chains liked them, and the guys that put more touch on their putts complained.

Wasn't there some big hullabolloo last year about how putting was too easy for the pros and how we need to change every single basket to a smaller target...

And now someone is crying that it's too hard.

Maybe McBeth is making critical remarks of the Mach baskets because they weren't made by his sponsor and is made by his sponsors main competition? Anyone consider that? I mean shoot, if I were in his shoes getting the cashola to play DG I'd probably do the same thing...

Latest posts