• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] All things DGA thread.

There is a P&A and 3 top just the flat top P&A both in XT. XT will feel like the old Stiff DX kind of similar to how the Classic Grid Aviar feels. Do not base XT of the production run Nova as most of those are a softer run of XT. XT is like the old DX from prior to late 2009 but with better grip then the DX that gets slick or the Classic Grid Aviar that gets a bit slick over time. XT is close to old Discraft Pro D/DGA D that was made before 2005 but the plastic is not as slick as that old plastic and not nearly as hard.

I hope this helps. :)

Thanks. That help's clarify plastics. What about disc molds? The aviar pna feels taller in my hand than the steady and other putters I've held.

Well I tried to give DGA the benefit of the doubt, but I posted that almost a year ago. It's now been 2 years and 3 months since #5 and still no #6. I guess they're quitting at #5, which is sad knowing the original plan was to do 8.

With Matt Bell's In The Bag vid showing him bagging a Glowfly, not having one available for purchase is a real lost opportunity. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that DGA will continue the Midnight Flyer series. The only excuse I can come up for them is they're delaying so they can have #8 come out on their 45th anniversary (#1 Squall was for the 35th). But with the Glow Banzai, Glow Tremor, Glow Quake, Glow Tempest and now the Glow Hellfire all coming out after the MF Tsunami, and still no #6, it's becoming clear DGA has lost interest in completing the Midnight Flyer set.

DGA might have stopped now that the COVID is here and release the plastic next year.

There was not a 6 as DGA with the old glow 40, 50 molds and had a 9/6 that was both the 9 and the 6 in the later set of Midnight Flyer. The early set of same disc mold DGA had in late 1970's with name Night Flyer was a short lived set having a 9 and 6 but the Night Flyer name was considered a trademark name for Wham-O that Wham-O had with one of is major disc molds in glow plastic. DGA was forced to changed the name to Midnight Flyer and also made it easier for production of the Midnight Flyer by dropping the _ so they had to only make one disc 6/9. At least in pictures and video this is how I see the discs DGA Night flyer and Midnight Flyer discs.

Thanks. That help's clarify plastics. What about disc molds? The aviar pna feels taller in my hand than the steady and other putters I've held.

Try the Bullfrog or Colt in XT, the Bullfrog only comes in XT and so far in the sparkle foil stamps only with a few being hard to read all the time. The Colt is a modern XD, the XD+ on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop in the Limited section is an XD+ not the same mold as an XD and the Colt is a closer modern version mold to the old XD. Aviar XD is what some of the older XD say on the disc so basically XD was a lower profile XD.

The Colt is a normal Colt/Aviar top

Want a slightly lower profile Aviar P&A? get the Aviar 3, same exact mold made with a true flat top.

Try the Bullfrog or Colt in XT, the Bullfrog only comes in XT and so far in the sparkle foil stamps only with a few being hard to read all the time. The Colt is a modern XD, the XD+ on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop in the Limited section is an XD+ not the same mold as an XD and the Colt is a closer modern version mold to the old XD. Aviar XD is what some of the older XD say on the disc so basically XD was a lower profile Aviar. Fixed mistake in final sentence.

The Colt is a normal Colt/Aviar top

Want a slightly lower profile Aviar P&A? get the Aviar 3, same exact mold made with a true flat top.

DGA Unfortunately to my knowledge does not make a Putter like the Aviar but lower feel in the hand. Discraft the brand that makes the DGA discs makes a Pro D (same as D) Ringer that is similar to a slightly low profile Aviar as it is the same thing as a Ringer GT just the GT is a close copy to the Innova Rhyno with the Grove Track basically a Thumbtrack from what I have seen on videos. So the Ringer then should be a close copy to an Aviar but the Discraft site is missing a profile unlike Innova having that on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop so I do not remember if the Ringer/GT was a Rhyno with the big bead or more the smaller P&A bead.

Last edited:
I was in love with my D-line Steady BLs until I randomly threw my old Aviar PnA a few days ago. I still really like the size/feel of that Aviar in hand but I hate DX plastic. Is there a DGA disc that is basically the same profile as the Aviar? The Reef? Steadys will still be my throwing putter.

The Steady BL is the disc you want. That's easily the closes thing they have to an aviar.

What's so much better about a dx aviar that you can't work with a D-Line steady BL?

Don't get lost in the forest for all the trees in the way. Don't worry about those little details, especially if you're as new of a player as your profile suggests. Pick whichever feels best in your hand and go with that.

And honestly, Casey is going to point out all of the trees and still not be correct about them

Last edited:
The Reef has an Aviar-ish feel. It will fly like a glidey, beat up Aviar. But it's available in base plastic or slick champy SP. If you want something taller, the Titanic is a taller Magnet, and it's available in Proline plastic.

Ledgestone wave 2 is here, and Special Blend ("SB") Hellfires and Ice Hurricanes are available.
Infinite has a bunch
Sun King has a few

So I originally posted the disc in question in the ID thread, but after receiving my SP Undertow, it became apparent that my mystery disc wasn't an Undertow. I think it may be a really beat Pipeline, or some proto mold, but whatever it is, I need a backup or 2 or 5.

Attachments

• 0307202214.jpg
    0307202214.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 0307202217b.jpg
    0307202217b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 0307202215.jpg
    0307202215.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17
So I originally posted the disc in question in the ID thread, but after receiving my SP Undertow, it became apparent that my mystery disc wasn't an Undertow. I think it may be a really beat Pipeline, or some proto mold, but whatever it is, I need a backup or 2 or 5.

That is an SP Pipeline. Sun King and OTB have 2 and 1 with that stamp in stock and plenty of stock stamps each. Great disc, sneaky long for an 8 speed.

That is an SP Pipeline. Sun King and OTB have 2 and 1 with that stamp in stock and plenty of stock stamps each. Great disc, sneaky long for an 8 speed.

Good to know. I for some reason keep forgetting that Sun King discs exists or I would've checked there. How is a fresh Pipeline supposed to fly, since mine is apparently beat quite a bit?

Good to know. I for some reason keep forgetting that Sun King discs exists or I would've checked there. How is a fresh Pipeline supposed to fly, since mine is apparently beat quite a bit?

Yep and BONUS somehow do not forget that Sun King also has some kind of agreement with Discraft since the 2000's with Throw Down The Mountain in Florida that is sponsored by Discraft. :thmbup:

Faster Teebird would be a decent description. I own 7 or 8 Pipelines, it is my go to disc for hitting a fairway, and they have all flown close to their 8-5-0-2 numbers for me when new. Fresh SP has some reliable fade at the end for me out to about 330' max. New Proline is a touch straighter in my experience and will beat in faster.

how much power do you have? I can get undertakers out to ~370 and find pipelines pretty understable comparatively (and I've tried a bunch, like 6 SP and 5 PL, the only ones that are fairly stable are first flights) I don't mind though, as I just slot it next to the undertaker for long hyzer flip shots

Yep and BONUS somehow do not forget that Sun King also has some kind of agreement with Discraft since the 2000's with Throw Down The Mountain in Florida that is sponsored by Discraft. :thmbup:

Dont forget free shipping after 12$

how much power do you have? I can get undertakers out to ~370 and find pipelines pretty understable comparatively (and I've tried a bunch, like 6 SP and 5 PL, the only ones that are fairly stable are first flights) I don't mind though, as I just slot it next to the undertaker for long hyzer flip shots

I have a similar distance with my Undertakers as you do, I can push a Ti Stalker almost as far, but with more consistency. How does it compare to a Z Heat?

I have a similar distance with my Undertakers as you do, I can push a Ti Stalker almost as far, but with more consistency. How does it compare to a Z Heat?

Don't have a lot of experience with the heat, it was mainly a roller disc for me. Pipeline holds controlled turns and powers down better, IME

While looking at the Pipelines on Sun King, I found DGA's Tempest, which seems to be very Shryke/Tern like in flight. I searched for a thread for it, but came up with a couple posts in the DC thread, but nothing else. Specs from the PDGA look very close to a Tern, but they've been wrong before, so how shallow is this thing?

While looking at the Pipelines on Sun King, I found DGA's Tempest, which seems to be very Shryke/Tern like in flight. I searched for a thread for it, but came up with a couple posts in the DC thread, but nothing else. Specs from the PDGA look very close to a Tern, but they've been wrong before, so how shallow is this thing?

I think that the rim depth is about the same for the Tempest and Tern.

I tried a First Flight Tempest and it's a hyzer flip disc for me whereas I can throw a Star or Champ Tern flat and not have it flip much. Probably 380' max for me with either disc for reference.

I think that the rim depth is about the same for the Tempest and Tern.

I tried a First Flight Tempest and it's a hyzer flip disc for me whereas I can throw a Star or Champ Tern flat and not have it flip much. Probably 380' max for me with either disc for reference.

Well that just saved me $10. I have a hard time getting a good rip on a Tern because of the shallowness, and hearing that is it flippy at 380' makes it probably almost unusable for anything except tailwind drives for me since I was getting my Crank over 400, and was really hoping for something slightly more US with a smaller rim, similar to a Shryke.

I bet PMs new Hades will be close to what I want, but I gotta wait. In the meantime, I'll try to clean up my form and see if I can get my Kong out to 425' (I was throwing it about 400' before winter came around, and I'm planning to work on my form while most of the courses are closed around here).

Last edited:

Latest posts