• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] All Time Classic Disc Molds?

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
So I was thinking what disc molds in the last few years will go down as classics. The Thunderbird was the mold I was thinking about, but I am not sure if it would qualify as an all time classic for me, even though I love the mold. To qualify, it should be near universally accept to me a great mold, even if you don't throw it. The Buzzz is qualifies to me even though I don't care for it personally.

The newest disc I could think of that I think absolutely qualifies is the Zone. Maybe the Volt (i know Ion was the first MVP, but it is too derivative of the Wizard which is already deriviative of the BB Aviar) or the FD.

So what discs would you all say are all time classics? Of course many older molds will be nominated, but also try to discuss molds you think will be considered classics in another 10 years.

I will nominate the M4.

I'll just nominate the Shryke. In 10 years, it will be considered a classic.

I thought about this as well. Tern, Shryke, DDx,Trespass, Crank, etc. What mold would be the all time classic max distance driver for those with sub 400 ft max? I actually think this may be the hardest to answer, as it is a slot on the flight chart that was only filled in recent years.

Last edited:
I'll just nominate the Shryke. In 10 years, it will be considered a classic.

As to older discs, the Valkyrie comes quickly to mind.

I'd agree with the Shryke. That disc is a winner, plain and simple. I also think the Tern fits into that category too.

Shryke
Tern
Thunderbird
Roc3- some may disagree, but this is a very, very good mid.

Older molds:

Destroyer
Buzzz
Valkyrie
Teebird
Leopard- I hate it, but it still seems super popular.
Sidewinder
Firebird
Force
Wraith- I still see tons of these around.
XCaliber

One brand new mold that COULD become a classic is the Kong. Discraft needs to decide on a final product (I hear they're tweaking the prototypes still). Obviously the Kong is only a curiosity at this point.

For DD I agree the Trespass is the closest thing they have to a classic.

For me these are the accepted HOF discs;

Innova;
Aviar
Roc
Teebird
Leopard
Firebird
Destroyer
Valkyrie
Xcaliber
Boss

Discraft;
Buzzz
Magnet
Force

Lat64;
River
St
St Pro
Pure

Discmania;
P2
PD

DD;
Truth
Trespass
Enforcer
Escape
Felon
Justice
Judge

Gateway;
Wizard
Warlock
Demon
Spirit

MVP;
Volt
Ion
Atom

Axiom;
Fireball
Crave
Envy
Proxy

Westside;
Giant
Harp
King
Warship

Hyzerbomb;
Mortar

Reptilian;
Scale
Stego

Vibram;
Lace RIP

All of these are either groundbreaking, sell so well they can't be denied, or are they beat they are at what they do.

All opinions are mine alone lol

I forgot the Boss. That would make my list. Still a very popular mold. I think it was also the first speed 13 driver on the market.

Nuke is right there with it. Still very popular even 10 years later.

I'd agree with the Shryke. That disc is a winner, plain and simple. I also think the Tern fits into that category too.

Agree with the Tern, also, and I should've mentioned it. And in 10 years it may be even more of a Classic than the Shryke.

(side note: just watched the FPO final rd. of the SFO, and the way those ladies were throwing Ballista Pros, it may be DD's contribution to the literature...)

I only consider it a classic if other companies try to copy it.

What is Company X's version of Y?

Aviar
Roc
Teebird
Leopard
Firebird
Destroyer
Buzzz
Zone
Wizard

a few others

Everybody naming 15 year old molds. Too easy.

I'm wondering what disc will be crowned King of the 9 speeds. PD? Thunderbird? Avenger? That seems to be the new modern classic fairway slot.

Everybody naming 15 year old molds. Too easy.

I'm wondering what disc will be crowned King of the 9 speeds. PD? Thunderbird? Avenger? That seems to be the new modern classic fairway slot.

Future classics? Avenger is OOP so probably not. If forced to pick, I'd go with PD over Thunderbird. But, both PD and Avenger are listed as speed 10 and Thunderbird a 9, so whatever. Make up your own class and declare classics as you see fit.

My criteria were that the disc not be OOP and that it still be popular with ams and pros.

Axiom/MVP
Envy
Ion
Volt

Discmania
P2
PD

Discraft
Zone
Buzzz
Force

Dynamic
Judge
EMac Truth
Justice

Innova
Aviar
Roc/Roc3
Teebird
Thunderbird
Firebird
Destroyer

Lat64
Explorer

Legacy
Rival

Millennium/Hyzerbomb
Mortar

Prodigy
M4

Westside
Harp

Surprised that I could only sign on for one Lat64 disc.

Last edited:
Future classics? Avenger is OOP so probably not. If forced to pick, I'd go with PD over Thunderbird. But, both PD and Avenger are listed as speed 10 and Thunderbird a 9, so whatever. Make up your own class and declare classics as you see fit.

I was thinking Predator, my bad. I haven't needed to try a new driver mold in years, so things get fuzzy.
PD has the Firebird wing, so I call it a speed 9, call it a "control" driver if it makes you happy. Whatever irrelevant parameters you choose to use, that speed range will produce the classics of this era. That and the overstable approach putter.

Missing so far...

Comet
Cyclone
XL

Longshot bet.. Axiom Mayhem.. After Feldberg mentioned it seemed to make it legit. Though I think the Inertia should be, but that's me.

Honestly not sure about the XL.. Solid love but oop for a reason..

Last edited:
Agree with the Tern, also, and I should've mentioned it. And in 10 years it may be even more of a Classic than the Shryke.

(side note: just watched the FPO final rd. of the SFO, and the way those ladies were throwing Ballista Pros, it may be DD's contribution to the literature...)

I think the Ballista Pro has serious potential. I have 1, and I love it so far.

I don't know how many guys throw it on tour (if any), but the women do love it.

Innova;
Aviar
Roc
Eagle
Teebird
Leopard
Firebird
Destroyer
Valkyrie
Boss
Wraith

On the ballot: XCal, Max, Rhyno/Pig, Tern, Gator, Nova, Roadrunner, Thunderbird,

Discraft;
Buzzz
Comet
Force
Drone
Wasp
Nuke
Predator
Zone

On the ballot: Mantis, Crank, Luna, Undertaker, Heat

Lat64;
River
Saint
Fuse
Pure
Sinus
XXX

On the ballot: Saint Pro, Ballista, Ballista Pro, Havoc, Explorer, Gladiator

Discmania;
P2
PD
PD2
FD

On the ballot: DD2, DDx, FD3?, MD4?

Dynamic Discs:

EMac Truth
Trespass
Enforcer
Escape
Felon
Justice
Judge
Verdict

On the ballot: Maverick, Getaway, Evidence, Defender, Sheriff?

Gateway;
Wizard
Voodoo
Magic

On the ballot: Nothing.

MVP;
Volt
Ion
Axis
Photon
Relay
Vector

On the ballot: Wave, Matrix, Octane, Teleport, Atom, Resistor, Inertia, Catalyst

Axiom;
Theory
Insanity
Crave
Envy
Proxy

On the ballot: Fireball, Wrath, Mayhem/Tantrum

Westside;
Giant
Harp
King
Warship
Sword
Tursas

On the ballot: Ahti, Longbowman, Bard, Underworld, Shield, Stag

DGA;
Squall
Breaker
Hurricane
Tsunami

On the ballot: Quake, ???

I think the Ballista Pro has serious potential. I have 1, and I love it so far.

I don't know how many guys throw it on tour (if any), but the women do love it.

Lots of MPO guys are throwing it. I'd be surprised if it's not their most popular distance driver. The Havoc is the only Lat. 64 driver I've seen a pro throw instead in that class, now that Feldberg is gone (Gladiator).