• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Almost hit by an Ace

Sometimes you have to touch a flame to learn that fire is hot. OP was a lot more civil than I would have been. You don't throw at somebody when they are clearly within range. You just don't do that.

On a 197 ft., non blind hole there is no excuse. I definitely would have picked the disc out of the basket and done something with it. Whether that be holding onto it until they caught up and asked where it was, or chucking it. probably wouldn't throw it at them though

Next time OP almost gets hit with an ace, he should quietly pull the disc from the basket and place it gently on the ground.

Then, walk away.

Edit: Wait, the hole was NOT blind?! :\ Wow. Okay, different story then.

Next time OP almost gets hit with an ace, he should quietly pull the disc from the basket and place it gently on the ground.

Then, walk away.

Edit: Wait, the hole was NOT blind?! :\ Wow. Okay, different story then.

Yeah, the OP made sure to even specify that there was no way they couldn't be seen, even accidentally caught behind a tree

OP's expectation to not be thrown upon >>> Other group's expectation to be able to play through.

There is NO excuse to throw on another group.

Anyone who plays regularly will get thrown upon at some point. Posters above have listed some possible responses. A favorite of mine, for when the basket is blind or sufficiently concealed, is to pick the offending disc off the ground and place it in the basket. Walk to the next tee and wait for the group to play through. Enjoy their conversations and celebrations of the "ace". (Killing their buzz with the real story is optional and depends on circumstances.)

A favorite of mine, for when the basket is blind or sufficiently concealed, is to pick the offending disc off the ground and place it in the basket. Walk to the next tee and wait for the group to play through. Enjoy their conversations and celebrations of the "ace". (Killing their buzz with the real story is optional and depends on circumstances.)
It's IMPERATIVE that you crush his soul with the truth !!!

Videotaping it would be worth DOUBLE. :D

They're a-holes, but turning the other cheek was respectable. Having done that, however, you are free to commence with random mayhem if the same a-holes ever do it again. :popcorn:

this is a good post. But really, its sounds like your trying to convince yourself and everyone else that you shouldn't have let them play through. If they were fast enough to catch up to you on a 200 ft open hole, you should've let them play though the first time you saw them waiting at the tee.

But again, i'm one your side. Regardless, they shouldn't have thrown on you.

It sounds like the OP passively instigated this situation. Courtesy goes both ways, if you have a smaller group behind you and they happen to wait for you on a couple holes then it at the least it would be polite to ask them if they would like to play through. They probably became annoyed having to wait and wanted to send you guys a clear message: get out of our way. Now of course them throwing on you was a bad move on their part and it's a good thing no one got hit.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm not going to deny that my group probably was at least partially at fault for not letting them play through earlier. I want that to be clear. I don't think we caused that much of a delay for the pair behind us but it is possible I just didn't notice them earlier during the round and they got tried of waiting. When I did notice them waiting it was only when we where just finishing up putting so I didn't really feel bad about not letting them play through.

I'm not saying we weren't a holes ourselves to an extent. We did let them play through after one of us was almost hit. I guess I felt like venting only because they didn't acknowledge that they almost hit another player while celebrating that ace without even calling fore while throwing on a group on a non blind hole. Even with our mistake I still think that is worse.

I've been on the other end of having to wait for a larger group to finish a hole. I have played solo rounds and had to wait for groups of 3+ to finish up before throwing that haven't let me play through. I've never intentionally thrown on them because of that however. Honestly, had they even acknowledge it at all I would have said our bad, should have let you through earlier, but that they didn't. That's what really got me worked up.

It is frustrating waiting behind a slower group, especially if they are aware of you and don't let you play through, but that doesn't justify deliberately throwing a disc at somebody or in their general direction. That's a (female dog) move, pure and simple.

I'd probably take the disc, sign it, then hand it to them as you let them play through. Permanent reminder.

If you let them play thru it would of messed up the whole flow and he would not of got an ace at that time. So good job on making him ace

Was hit in the shin yesterday by a group playing with their discs in their 6pack carriers (common around here amongst the college bro crowd).

My theory is, if you hit me and you're entirely at fault (meaning no warning, no attempt at communication, etc), the disc is mine, regardless of what you have to say to me. But this disc was just your standard run of the mill dx starter leopard...so I picked it up and chucked it into the forest. I told the dude "Yell fore next time. Go get it." and pointed to where I threw it.

He'll probably yell fore next time and hopefully felt like a d-bag. Mission accomplished.

Was hit in the shin yesterday by a group playing with their discs in their 6pack carriers (common around here amongst the college bro crowd).

My theory is, if you hit me and you're entirely at fault (meaning no warning, no attempt at communication, etc), the disc is mine, regardless of what you have to say to me. But this disc was just your standard run of the mill dx starter leopard...so I picked it up and chucked it into the forest. I told the dude "Yell fore next time. Go get it." and pointed to where I threw it.

He'll probably yell fore next time and hopefully felt like a d-bag. Mission accomplished.

Have fun when you get charged with theft

theft? if someone threw a disc at me i'd just assume they wanted me to have it. i'd say thanks and take it with me, even if it was a beat dx 162 archangel

Have fun when you get charged with theft

Sounds like you're mad. I'm sorry. I'm mad too when out of nowhere a large piece of plastic flying at high speeds potentially causes me a pretty substantial amount of harm. I think the 4 to 8 dollar piece of used plastic isn't worth reporting a crime over -_-. Then again, you're probably the person who calls 911 when random people run red lights on accident.

Even if some greasy-ass, socially inept person approached me and said two words to me (hell, even one word..."sorry" is plenty), I'd gladly leave their disc alone. If you don't have the balls to even say sorry, you're in the wrong place.

Last edited: