• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur Tournament Organizer

shortstack

I'm running a charitable tournament for Relay For Life at my local course. I am planning on allowing a maximum of 50 participants to play and am looking for suggestions on how to begin the tournament to cycle people through the course in the most timely fashion without making the final group to start wait too long. I am planning on organizing the people in groups of 5 per hole. Thanks

Why do 5 somes? With 4 somes you are only using 12.5 holes.

Everyone should go to their assigned holes and you blow an airhorn when it is time to start, everyone starts at the same time and there should be little hold ups. If you are having a pro class put a couple holes between them and the next group because they play slower than most.

Yeah...I wouldn't do 5 somes unless you had more than 72 people. 4 somes are quicker even with no gaps in between holes.

You could even do 3somes. 17x3 is 51.

Of course this is assuming an 18 hole course. if you are running a 9 hole tourney it is going to be crowded with 50 no matter what.

thanks, thinning the groups and a blow horn sounds like good ideas. FYI its a 20 hole course

Then I would open up your registration to 80 people, 4somes on every hole is pretty standard for a tournament.

what kind of disc would you recommend ordering from a manufacturer to hand out to the participants, keep in mind there will certainly be newcomers and old-hands alike...

I would say no to putters, most people have a putter already and don't need to try anything new.
Also say no to drivers, as some can be too fast for players.

Something that everyone can use is a midrange, perhaps a buzzz as they are popular with people that have used them, many people may not know discraft as Innova is the biggest DG brand, and discraft also allows wholesale prices for disc orders as low as 25 discs.

hope this helps

what kind of disc would you recommend ordering from a manufacturer to hand out to the participants, keep in mind there will certainly be newcomers and old-hands alike...

Leopard, Roc or Buzzz. Good all around discs that are in pro bags as well as beginners bags.

If you are doing a custom stamp if it is cool enough who cares what the disc is, if it is a stock disc I tend to agree that a mid is a good choice.