• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ambidextrous Disc Golf

TylerBrown2

I have been pondering this idea for a while now and I finally decided to give it a go. I was out practicing, doing some field work and realizing that my forehand is abysmal. I cannot seem to figure it out to get power and consistency. In my frustration I decided to try throwing left handed a try to accomplish the same task.

My first throw was really rough but after stopping and thinking about the motion I was able to crank the next 3 discs. The motion of throwing actually felt better than throwing right handed. It was truly shocking. I actually started laughing out loud because I couldn't believe I could do it with any proficiency at all.

Currently I consistently throw RHBH about 295-325ft. Occasionally it all comes together and I can get one out there 350. My left handed throw (although lacking the touch of my RHBH) was able to go 225-275ft. They were erratic but not more so than when I first started out right handed.

That being said has anyone else tried this? Has anyone had success? Do any pros bother trying both hands?

The really odd part was that I actually felt "the hit" more when I threw left handed. I was getting this insane pop at the end of the my throw that I don't feel throwing righty.

its not unheard of and some players do very well being able to throw with both hands. Sounds like you might be trying to strong-arm it with the right.

Is the work worth the reward? I have a hard enough time throwing RHBH and getting those different skills down from FH, Rollers, left to right shaping shots that finish straight and so on all while trying to improve distance and accuracy.

Cant even imagine trying to do that with 2 hands and if I had a good FH as well as BH not sure I see a point BUT it would be very fun. SO, have fun regardless and do you!

I throw BH with both left and right, and I can say the same sentiments about the hit and feeling the motions with LH more than RH. My accuracy/consistency isn't where my RH is yet, but distance is pretty equal. It helps my game by opening up more options. I just made sure when I started learning that I broke down my RHBH technique and applied it to my LH. It still feels awkward every time but I don't let that deter me from doing it. I use the LHBH for upshots all the way up to drives currently. There is another player ranked 1020+ here in ND that throws LH & RH...showing me that it can be done by Pro's in the windy plains and i'm sure there are others. For me, throwing ambidextrous has been a mixed bag. 75% of the time LHBH is all I need (instead of RHFH), but i've been in many situations (lies) where the only safe/save shot was a FH...which again is why i'm fixated on learning RHFH this year. I think of it as this...people are trying to learn FH when they are proficient at BH, its really no different learning LHBH...i'm just learning that instead of RHFH. Not sure if i've helped but keep at it if you're mildly ambidextrous; I am so I knew I just needed to do it. REPS REPS REPS is the only way just like anything else, just might take less for us ambid' folks. It almost always gets a response of surprise from new players I play with too...which I take as a compliment regardless of how its said so i can build/maintain confidence with it.

Last edited:
one of the farthest throwers in Wisconsin is right handed, throws lhbh, putts righty and gets confused right around a hundred feet. He says it is like a baseball swing to him and just feels natural.

I know Phil Arthur is a very skilled ambi thrower.

I tried it out when I injured my dominant throwing hand. Since I had a pretty good understanding of the mechanics, it was simply a matter of training my body through repetition to do the right thing. I figured if I could learn switch backside distasters, I could learn a lefty backhand.

Ended up hitting 400' within a month. Thought it would be a lot tougher. It felt SUPER weird to me the first few times, but after a while it wasn't so bad. I can still feel myself strong arming it more compared to RHBH, but I'm getting decent D.

It's not something I ever use in rounds that matter, except for an occasional LHFH roller to get out of the rough when its a better option than any RH approach. It's really good to know that I can keep up during casual rounds when I'm injured though. Beats not playing golf, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure Nikko deuced a hole left-handed at The Memorial. I'm thinking Fountain Hills ...

I play ambidextrous. I like it. Forehand isn't quite the same as backhand; I use each for different stuff.

I just tried this last night at my local pitch n putt. I threw a little too many times and my shoulder/left pec muscle this morning is sore. I'm not sure why I'm doing this because my RHFH is really good.

I'm naturally Ambidextrous and was doing pretty well getting my lhbh up to speed, to use it at least as a get out of jail throw, but I had a bad fall and had a slight rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder. Finally at a point where I can start throwing lhbh again. No way I can throw fh, so just hoping to get my lhbh out to a consistent 200-250. man...that would be sweet.

I've been throwing both for a few years now. Finesse shots can be tough. Hard to say if its worth it, but definitely makes it fun.

I have a friend who can legitimately throw +500' RHBH and 400' LHBH, he can also RHFH to about 350'. He hurt his back recently, but before he did he was working on LHFH. He really likes disc golf.

one of the farthest throwers in Wisconsin is right handed, throws lhbh, putts righty and gets confused right around a hundred feet. He says it is like a baseball swing to him and just feels natural.
I don't throw far by any means, but this is me to a tee. Usually throw LHBH, usually putt righty and bounce between a righty jump putt or lefty gentle approach around 80-110'. If you think about a right-handed baseball swing, your power comes from your left arm, not the right. It's a similar motion, including hip rotation.

I write lefty, but have always been right handed when it comes to sports(golf, baseball, basketball, soccer), not to mention I'm right eye dominant. Having said this I took up throwing lefty backhand after an injury and concur with other posts on here that state that throwing lefty is actually "easier" than one thinks. It's essentially a righthand golf and/or baseball swing as far as the lower body goes. I still enjoy playing what I call "schizophrenia rounds" where I pit the left against the right. The right does usually take it though as my left hand forehand is laughable.

I throw both rhbh and lhbh. Distance isn't that far apart (maybe 50ft) but accuracy with full power is. Approach shots are usually rhbh, but there are days I feel lhbh is the better option. But there are no stats to back it up.
I do have a manageable rhfh as well, but decided to go with lhbh. Mostly because I believe backhand has more potential (not just distance).

The issue I have is practice time. I barely have enough time to work on my rhbh. So there is not much time for lhbh. And that is why I dropped forehand altogether.

Yeah practice time is tough. Sometimes I feel like lhbh has hurt my game, spending practice time on it when I only use it few times a round. Like I said it sure is fun though.

I backhand left and flick right, putt with either. I find it helps when I need to work around trees and other obstacles that get in the way. Being able to chose more then one line to your target can be a plus at times. I am working on the backhand right, the progress is slow so far.

Nikko throws lhbh (very good) instead of rhfh with very good accuracy. Interesting to watch.

I just played a doubles league with a guy who did it too. It's strange when your not anticipating it. :eek:

Nikko throws lhbh (very good) instead of rhfh with very good accuracy. Interesting to watch.

I just played a doubles league with a guy who did it too. It's strange when your not anticipating it. :eek:
I really want to see Nikko use this more in tournaments especially instead of his rollers. I think I only saw that one memorial shot from him with his left. If he is good at it, why doesn't he use it?

I really want to see Nikko use this more in tournaments especially instead of his rollers. I think I only saw that one memorial shot from him with his left. If he is good at it, why doesn't he use it?

Confidence is his problem I'm guessing...that and the fact he may have better options for the shot.