• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Frank Delicious said:
no joke, all my best preds look ugly as shit.
if by "ugly as shit" you mean "beat to shit" then yes, those are definitely the best preds!

Does anyone know when the Predator was first molded, and/or what year was the mold was changed to the more stable version?

Frank Delicious said:
check the tech specs for the pred and tsunami mold dates.

Predator was approved May of 2002.

Tsunami was approved in 2008.

I've seen "old stamped" Preds with tourney stamps as late as 2004. My oldest Pred is a new stamp, but an old mold, and was bought probably around 2003 or so.

Bumping this for some more Pred love.

My local course was getting high winds today (gusts up to 40 supposedly) but today was the last chance I'll get to play for a while so out I went. I had a great game and most of my best shots came from my Z Pred. I was even getting great upshots with it. They are just so damn useful for how stable they are. It is one of those discs I can throw and afterwards usually say "Yeah, that is exactly what I wanted it to do". Good stuff.

Added my first Z Pred to my bag over X-Mas, as a Pred thrower for nearly 2 years, I ashamed to admit I've only ever thrown the ESP and FLX varieties.

Anyways I'm incredibly impressed. I love my ESP Preds, but this Z was incredible. Orange 175, really pearly. Threw it on the same lines on the same holes as my ESP and it was 20'-30' longer on average. Overthrew a lot of holes today. For an Overstable disc it's glide is really impressive.

cfair said:
Why did they ever stop making the X pred?
rehder said:
dont think they could source the X-plastic anymore

I doubt it had to do with the x-plastic availability. I would have to guess that the Predator had to be one of the better selling molds in x-plastic(Guessing buzzz would be number 1). I love me some nicely worn X-Pred's...they compliment my z's nicely.

All the X Buzzzes I've seen lately have been floppy R-pro type plastic. Not good for drivers.

I'd imagine it was a financial decision. Internet geeks might like them, but the general public isn't buying overstable drivers in baseline plastic. They want premium plastic drivers...

rehder said:
ya no kidding. The Z is the best of the bunch

Idk if it's best cuz my ESP's are pretty darn tasty especially my really domey First Runs. Just different almost like S-PD and CFR C-PD different.

Frank Delicious said:
I think it was b/c the X pred sold like shit.

^ This.