• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Andrew zimmern plays disc golf...

As a food television junkie (wanna-be chef) I really liked this article. I've seen mention of Zimmern playing before, but to see this article and interview is very cool.

He solidified my fandom when he did Food Network Star and showed himself as more than just a travel nut who eats weird stuff and a food critic, but as a knowledgeable chef. Now, if we can get Adam Richman playing, we'd have an epic DG/Food travel duo!

I was a little disappointed they didn't ask him about hippy/stoner perception in DG past and present, and hippy/stoner culture in DG past and present. Might be interesting from his perspective as a business owner and TV producer.

As a food television junkie (wanna-be chef) I really liked this article. I've seen mention of Zimmern playing before, but to see this article and interview is very cool.

He solidified my fandom when he did Food Network Star and showed himself as more than just a travel nut who eats weird stuff and a food critic, but as a knowledgeable chef. Now, if we can get Adam Richman playing, we'd have an epic DG/Food travel duo!

IIRC Adam Richman plays. Made a comment about it somewhere, that if he didn't get out and disc he would be fat as **** from Man vs. Food.

How does this thread not have more replies? If he plays so much, how has it not been mentioned before? I'm a huge fan, and have been since the series premier of Bizarre Foods. So maybe he's more of a celebrity to me, but either way, it is AWESOME that he's one of us.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Its been mentioned a few times...

I was a little disappointed they didn't ask him about hippy/stoner perception in DG past and present, and hippy/stoner culture in DG past and present. Might be interesting from his perspective as a business owner and TV producer.
Isn't it better that it wasn't even mentioned at all?

Wow, I just glanced over it before as I am at work. On my break, I took a minute to really read through that. What an inspirational story! As someone who has struggled with addiction and seeing him move from a mindset of addiction to perfectionism, that is a very difficult and respectable goal.

Correction, All-Star Academy. I knew that was wrong when I said it, but couldn't think of the right show. I fail.

Anyway, point stands, he really showed up on that one.

Isn't it better that it wasn't even mentioned at all?

No. Well, only if you want to hide from it.....pretend it doesn't exist.

It's a DG website.....it's not like the mainstream is reading that article much, if that's your concern.

It's a DG website.....it's not like the mainstream is reading that article much, if that's your concern.

Coming into the interview, I was really expecting Zimmern to have played a couple times and say some nice things about having a few Frisbees. Once we got into it and I found out he was a full disc golf nerd, I got into that component of things and really focused on that. That said, I never planned to ask him about the stoner stigma mostly because I don't really think it needs to be addressed in every piece. He might have had some nice insights given his history of addiction, but that same reason could have also made a question like that come off a bit hollow.

Coming into the interview, I was really expecting Zimmern to have played a couple times and say some nice things about having a few Frisbees. Once we got into it and I found out he was a full disc golf nerd, I got into that component of things and really focused on that. That said, I never planned to ask him about the stoner stigma mostly because I don't really think it needs to be addressed in every piece. He might have had some nice insights given his history of addiction, but that same reason could have also made a question like that come off a bit hollow.

Thanks, good insight. If he continues to be involved in the game, I'm sure his views will get offered up at some point. Especially if he does end up making some kind of show/documentary about the history.

I'm not concerned about it at all. I don't view it as a problem or an issue that needs addressing.

Cannabis culture is fully ingrained in alpine sports just like it is with disc golf and many other outdoor pursuits. Yet nobody really talks about it or makes a big deal about it. Because - spoiler alert - it isn't a big deal.

I just find it a bit absurd that every time we get some sort of coverage for disc golf someone on this board will ALWAYS complain that the 'stoner stigma' wasn't addressed. Like it will somehow prevent the game from growing or becoming more mainstream. If anything... cannabis culture IS the mainstream.

IIRC Adam Richman plays. Made a comment about it somewhere, that if he didn't get out and disc he would be fat as **** from Man vs. Food.

Bert Kreischer, who he also mentioned, has said he used to play in college on one of his podcast appearances. How awesome would a Champs vs TV Chumps video be?

Last edited:
How awesome would a Champs vs TV Chumps video be?
This idea has legs. Hell something like that would make a great segment for one of his travel/adventure series.

I wonder if he's a CCDG fan.... you can tell he definitely watches disc golf vids from his comments.

It's weird that he would pick this sport to get away from drugs and alcohol. I am glad he loves DG and has it in his blood. Awesome!~

I've followed him on Instagram for a while, I thought it was common knowledge that he played. He posts a fair amount of disc pics.

It's weird that he would pick this sport to get away from drugs and alcohol. I am glad he loves DG and has it in his blood. Awesome!~

Youd be shocked at how popular disc golf is in recovery fellowships.

I've followed him on Instagram for a while, I thought it was common knowledge that he played. He posts a fair amount of disc pics.

That's how this article came to be. Saw his social media posts, took a stab and reached out to his PR reps. They were incredibly accommodating.

Have seen him but didn't know his name. Will now have to pay more attention to his efforts on tv.

Latest posts