• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anhyzer-friendlyness

Soups

Par Member
A course I play is extremely left hand and side arm friendly with some big holes that turn right. I will admit my anhyzer technique is not the finest. I tend to use a Gateway Assassin for this. I think I get too excessive turn, possibly caused by OAT too. I appreciate a disc will not be a quick fix, but what would you suggest for me to try? Perhaps two suggestions: a neutral disc and one that's good for purpose?

Sidewinder, Roardrunner, Avenger SS are all great turnover disc's. I like the Avenger SS the best. Get one heavy and one lighter one. The lighter one will turn hard and hyzerflip really nice right away. The heavy one will be more neutral to start and break in to a great turnover disc.

Pro D sucks so don't get thouse. ESP is more understable IMO than Z... I love Cryztal Avenger SS's

Experiment with throwing forehand too and see what works better. As far as the disc selection, pick one and stay with it. Figuring out the release angle and height is a lot more difficult than picking out the right disc for anhyzer shots. I know when I was learning how to throw a better anhyzer I had a tendency to put too much angle on the disc and turn and burn everything. If you're going to use an understable disc you don't need to crank it it real hard to keep it going right. Making sure you follow through is important too.

I use a GL River for 90% of my anhyzer shots. It is a miracle worker. Anhyzers do seem to be one of the more "form-sensitive" shots though. I struggle with the whole concept of bending my back to shape the shot, and not my arm and wrist so much. However, I can push the River out to about 350ft on a hard anny with lots of OAT, so if you get your form right, it should be easy to make it work for you.
Your best bet would probably be to get a 12-pack instead of a new disc, and just practice shaping the shots with your Assassin.

I doubt too many people will say it, but an Archangel is incredibly understable, good for turnover drivers and rollers. I have only thrown a DX one, and it's beat to all hell so I've retired it for awhile, until I can find a solid use for it.

I've heard Champion ones are better, but I would think it would be very similar to a Sidewinder.

A panther is great for learning turnover, also I use a rr every long turnover I have.

Just develop a FH as well. I can't reliably turnover/hyzer-flip anything but with my FH, I really don't miss it.

I couldn't throw backhand to save my life when I first started playing and could get easy distance forehanding it, so that's what I stuck with for a while. I eventually learned a straight backhand and eventually learned a backhand anhyzer after that. For me anyhow, the lines a forehand and anhyzer take are totally different. If I need distance with a right finish I'll throw forehand all day and night, if it's more of a finesse shot I tend to throw backhand. Both shots will definitely come in handy though.

Sidewinder, Roardrunner, Avenger SS are all great turnover disc's. I like the Avenger SS the best. Get one heavy and one lighter one. The lighter one will turn hard and hyzerflip really nice right away. The heavy one will be more neutral to start and break in to a great turnover disc.

I use an avenger for my side-armed anhyzers. I can also get my Nuke SS to do a similar shot with an added 20 feet. Granted, all i throw is max distance drivers but...i got a pretty nifty arsenal of sidearmed shots with 'em. Love My Avenger though!

A course I play is extremely left hand and side arm friendly with some big holes that turn right...what would you suggest for me to try?

How long are these holes?

The ideal solution is to practice shaping shots that curve off right with discs of different stabilities. You can throw a stable/overstable disc like a Teebird or Roc on an anhyzer or you can throw an understable disc like a Leopard or Meteor flat or even with hyzer and let them turn over on their own.

Here's what is in my bag that gets used for anhyzers depending on distance. GL River, slightly beat Z Avenger SS, GL Vision, Z Glide, ESP Meteor. I also have an Xpress and Impact that will easily turn but I don't throw them much. All of those are RHBH.

Every hole is a little different and thus the skin a cat saying applies. Some holes are FH friendlier, some like big sweeping anhyzers and some like a slight turnover (or straight ish FH again).

To learn a BH that ends right, I think any general stable-understable disc is good like a Leopard or Comet, i.e. something that doesn't fade unless you throw it with hyzer. I somewhat caution against super flippy discs like the Archangel b/c some of those can be so flippy you can't tell if you're doing it wrong/right.

Fuse. And work on your FH. Even if you don't become a great FH player, it can't hurt to have. A basic FH to get out of trouble, and cover certain angles.

And once again. Get a Fuse. Wooded course, anny bliss.

I have had troubles over the years throwing a good anhyzer for distance. So this past summer I using an elite-X Comet and a Z Buzzz SS. Both discs have been amazing for me in throwing anhyzer shots. I also use the Avenger SS in Z, ESP, and Cryztal plastics. I have tried other discs like the roadrunner, archangel, monarch, and so on but for some reason did not work as well for me as the Avenger SS, Comet, and Buzzz SS. I would still work on developing a good sidearm skill level. The more different types of courses you play and throws you know will make the experience better.

Latest posts