• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Animal

mizunodave

Birdie Member
Innova flight numbers:

2 | 1 | 0 | 1

Specifications
Max Weight: 176.0gr
Diameter: 21.2cm
Height: 2.1cm
Rim Depth: 1.3cm
Rim Thickness: 1.0cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 19.2cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 6.1%
Rim Configuration: 64.00
Flexibility: 9.66kg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG8DOa2gq1p/

I've been puzzled as to why more discs like this don't exist. Straight (not overstable) low glide putt and approach discs. Currently the Berg is the only thing out there like this. Lots of folks are happy with Zone type discs but if you play with lots of elevation and side slopes you have to be able to match the angle of the slope to avoid rollaways. Zones/Harps/Pigs/etc are tricky to do that with their fade.

The Innova Bullfrog is listed as 3 | 1 | 0 | 1 but it has that putter rim where it curves back inside and catches on your fingers when you try to forehand it. If this has a flat rim like a midrange I'm probably bagging it. If it's just a slower Bullfrog with a thumbtrack I will keep my Berg, it does forehand clean.

Low glide but straight

Bullfrog, Invader, and now Animal.

I bag the bullfrog but it is only in XT.
Invader is in DX, Luster, and Star.
Animal is in Nexus.

I think I'll try the Invader due to more premium plastics but def won't want to use the animal due to the nexus plastic ding up very fast think it's supposed to be a putting putter.

The way Innova described the flight it sounds like the 2011 Ace Race disc.

I've been puzzled as to why more discs like this don't exist. Straight (not overstable) low glide putt and approach discs. Currently the Berg is the only thing out there like this. Lots of folks are happy with Zone type discs but if you play with lots of elevation and side slopes you have to be able to match the angle of the slope to avoid rollaways. Zones/Harps/Pigs/etc are tricky to do that with their fade.

The Innova Bullfrog is listed as 3 | 1 | 0 | 1 but it has that putter rim where it curves back inside and catches on your fingers when you try to forehand it. If this has a flat rim like a midrange I'm probably bagging it. If it's just a slower Bullfrog with a thumbtrack I will keep my Berg, it does forehand clean.

RDG Serpent is a dead straight low glide putt and approach disc.

Bullfrog, Invader, and now Animal.

Those are the discs I was thinking of as well.

I love the Bullfrog and it's my main putter. I really liked the two Invaders I had, but a slightly more glidey Bullfrog wasn't what I was looking for. I'll definitely try the Animal since it seems to be hitting the same area as the BF and Invader.

I've been puzzled how the Tank has been around for decades but people don't know about it.

Agreed; however, some Tanks are nearly as overstable as Rhynos. These don't fill the same slot as the Bullfrog, Invader, Animal (based solely on the description of their flight, no first hand experience)

Agreed; however, some Tanks are nearly as overstable as Rhynos. These don't fill the same slot as the Bullfrog, Invader, Animal (based solely on the description of their flight, no first hand experience)

Tanks aren't very OS in practice. Maybe some of the older runs but certainly not the new ones. I highly recommend.

I still maintain this is the laziest disc name I've ever heard.

That or the Aviar3X, ROCX3 or RyhnoX, all 3 are different molds from the original not close to the flat top models so adding the 3 to the name of disc is not going to work. Those are probably worse.

I do think the Name Animal, is as if at this point the Innova naming side or Dave himself ran out of animal names to make a new disc for, there are hundreds if not thousands not used yet.

Last edited:
I grabbed one when they restocked because I really like the Nexus plastic. Total guess, but it feels like a Rhyno top with an Invader bottom (which is likely the bottom from another disc). Haven't thrown it yet, but it feels nice.

My first thought was the W.A.S.P. version, but it's not very forum friendly :D

I grabbed one when they restocked because I really like the Nexus plastic. Total guess, but it feels like a Rhyno top with an Invader bottom (which is likely the bottom from another disc). Haven't thrown it yet, but it feels nice.

Do you have a few pics you could share? Maybe comparing it with a Rhyno or Invader? I haven't seen any of this disc yet, and I'm really curious.

This has become my go-to backhand approach disc. The nexus plastic is incredible and the low glide and minimal fade allow you to trust a straight flight without fear of flipping. Highly recommended.