• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else have a problem with people throwing your disc back at you?

gdcurry

I'm new to the sport, but the very first time I played was at a new park with a new course and almost every time I threw someone near my lie would pick up my disc and throw it back to me. I tried to tell them, "No, no, leave it there please." But to no avail. I live in a largely Hispanic area and they might not have understood me, but I thought "No" was the same in Spanish.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has seen this problem before.

Doug Curry
Houston, TX

One time I was playing and there was a group of Hispanic people playing soccer 75 feet from and off to the right of 18's basket, I grip locked it and it was heading their way. I yelled "quatro", not sure if that translates into look out or not.

Ha! This happened to us the other night.

We went to Lenora for our friday weekly and on 11 which has a field between it's tee, 13s basket, 16s basket, and 17s tee there was a large group of Mexicans playing soccer. There were two women sitting on the tee of 11 to which we ignored and tee'd off...which apparently annoyed them...

Funny thing is there is a second entrance that goes to the aquatic center and there is an absolutely enormous, flat field there...

EDIT:

I wonder how many were scratching their heads wondering why some gringo was yelling numbers at them.

Sure, it has occured many times over the years.

I have seen it handled in a couple of different manners... sometimes the entire card screams at the offending nooby.

Other times, a whistle and some hand signals did the trick... and even other experiences-- the parent seemed to understand what had happened and instructed their kid to toss it back where he found it.

I think the trick is to realize the nooby thinks it is a frisbee, and they are doing you a favor in their own mind.... then suddenly a herd of hippies with bags on their shoulders are yelling?

I am sure the non disc golfer noob that throws back a disc are quite confused by the experience, in some instances.

Donde este el disco!?

sorry.

Last edited:
This reminded me of something...

Years ago... we were playing a round at our local course before they expanded it into three courses. Anyway, bluegirl threw a shot on 18 original that landed within about 80% of the fairway near the basket.

Some kid in the park with his family at a nearby BBQ and spotted the disc when it landed. The kid picked up the disc and wobbled over to the basket and put it in.

BLueboy ran to the basket and claimed a technical ace, whatever the hell that means.

:^p

I often tell non disc golfers that walk by...

"if you see a white disc up there, go ahead an just put it in the basket for me."

great ice breaker for non dg'ers

:^)

If you're lucky they pick it up and put it in the basket. Any disc that is moved by a non-player plays where they leave it.

This opens up a brand new ace discussion. The Stranger Ace.

we were playing at brandywine on hole 10 i think. my fiend throught it 15' from the basket right in front of a stone wall, out of nowhere pops this kid and he snatches the disc and starts to run off with it. all four of us are screaming at him to drop it. his dad comes out grabs the disc apologizes and proceeds to beat the kids ass. funny afterwards but man was he pissed when it happened.

This reminded me of something...

Years ago... we were playing a round at our local course before they expanded it into three courses. Anyway, bluegirl threw a shot on 18 original that landed within about 80% of the fairway near the basket.

Some kid in the park with his family at a nearby BBQ and spotted the disc when it landed. The kid picked up the disc and wobbled over to the basket and put it in.

BLueboy ran to the basket and claimed a technical ace, whatever the hell that means.

:^p

I often tell non disc golfers that walk by...

"if you see a white disc up there, go ahead an just put it in the basket for me."

great ice breaker for non dg'ers

:^)
Whoa. I was just typing about the same thing.

I have seen it numerous times.... Please try to remember that when someone throws ur disc back, they are doing so in all kindness.... kinda like throwing back an errant basketball, soccer ball, etc.

I've seen (even casual golfers) get totally bent out of shape from someone merely p/u their disc.... One case that always comes to mind was when a very small child (maybe 4 or 5 yrs old) p/u a casual guys drive and the dude proceeds to yell and scream @ the kid to put it down... poor kid ran off crying to his parents....needless to say I got pissed and sure wish I would mentioned somethin' the the guy and apologized the kid for that happening.... some people take disc golf waaaaaayyy to seriously :confused:

The stranger ace... LOL. My buddy & I always joke abt. trianing our dogs to p/u our drives (on blind holes) and proceed to put them in the basket for us. Would u call that a "dog gone ace"?

If I've thrown the disc OB, particular over a creek with no nearby accessible bridge, they're more than welcome to throw it back. Hell, I'd throw them a dollar back for their trouble if I could get one that far. Maybe I should start carrying a few dollar coins around.

I was playing a course that played around a walking path. On one of the last holes, after throwing my drive and walking to my lie, an older man picked up my disc (very close to the walking path) and proceeded walking towards me. He said, "What do you do....throw them then chase them?" I wasn't upset by the fact that he picked it up, he simply didn't know what DG was so I briefly explained it to him and then threw from where I thought my original lie was.

Does anyone know the ruling if this were to happen in a sanctioned tourney? Do you just guess where your lie was and throw from there?

This happened twice this weekend to me. Two different courses. I just told them to leave it be and thanked them for trying to help out. It is a good chance to explain the game although usually it is a small child that picks up the disc.

The one time this weekend that was funny.

We played hole six in Brighton which throws near a skatepark. The halfpipe has these tall walls on the top of the landing zone and from the tee pad we couldn't see anything. I threw my disc and no sooner than it landed did two teenage boys jump out of the skatepark and run over to the disc. I really thought they were going to run off with my disc, but one of them just picked it up and was about to throw it back when I yelled back and asked him to put it back.
I think he figured out what we were doing after we holed out. Afraid I was going to have to chase down some punks!

I have seen it numerous times.... Please try to remember that when someone throws ur disc back, they are doing so in all kindness.... kinda like throwing back an errant basketball, soccer ball, etc.

I've seen (even casual golfers) get totally bent out of shape from someone merely p/u their disc.... One case that always comes to mind was when a very small child (maybe 4 or 5 yrs old) p/u a casual guys drive and the dude proceeds to yell and scream @ the kid to put it down... poor kid ran off crying to his parents....needless to say I got pissed and sure wish I would mentioned somethin' the the guy and apologized the kid for that happening.... some people take disc golf waaaaaayyy to seriously :confused:

Well stated. Is it better to save a stroke or be a screaming meanie guy across the park to some noob that likely just had good intentions in tossing back your "frisbee"?

As stated I have seen it be handled many different ways. The sun still came up the next day, but in some instances some non golfer sure got a bad impression.

I have had a disc snagged by a non disc golfer in Houston and the little turd took off with the disc.

Woodlands? the course name illudes me... fairly sure that is it.

Saturday we're ready to start with a group of 5, when a couple guys ask if they can start ahead of us. We say sure, go ahead and they tee off from the long tee. Several minutes elapse and they're still jerkin' around BS'n at the tee, so we decide to tee-of ourselves from the short tee. We all make our shots and they still haven't left the tee box that they threw from. One of my buddies bends over and picks up a super cool looking disc and says "hey who's disc is this? It's freakin' awesome!" I'm like, WHOA! WHOA! Put it down quick! Oops, he says. Lamo!

I have had a disc snagged by a non disc golfer in Houston and the little turd took off with the disc.

Woodlands? the course name eludes me... fairly sure that is it.

I bet you a disc that it was Bear Branch. That course is really going down hill. I used to love playing that course, but there is so much RIF Raff at that course now, its just not fun anymore. Its just become a place for teens to goof off, drink beer, and toss around one disc, and make fun of the guys carrying a bag. The only good time to play the course is from sunrise to noon. After that, get the hell out of there.

Spring Valley is only 6 miles away, and a much more challenging course, with a Pro Shop, and its only $3 to play, so its a great deal. The players there are of a much higher standard, and the course is much more fun. Bear Branch is only good if you want to shoot -9 and have a bunch of Ace runs.

I did very much like the Woodlands/Bear Branch course. Chuy brought me there a few times.

Yes, bear branch... that is the course. Those long holes where a blast.
Well, except for the arssclown disc snagger hi school kids?

Disc thieves taste like chicken, I've heard.

I went to Spring Valley once with some other folks. Great time!

I did very much like the Woodlands/Bear Branch course. Chuy brought me there a few times.

Yes, bear branch... that is the course. Those long holes where a blast.
Well, except for the arssclown disc snagger hi school kids?

Disc thieves taste like chicken, I've heard.

I went to Spring Valley once with some other folks. Great time!

Next time you come to Houston, let me know. You gotta play McDade Park in Conroe. Its only 10 minutes north of Bear Branch, and its a awesome course. Its 40 miles one way for me, and I try to get out there at least once a month.

Also Jack Brooks in Hitchcock (40 miles south of Houston) just got a second course installed, so now there is two great courses in one park. Jack Brooks are my favorite courses in the Houston area, but its 60 miles one way for me, so I only get to play down there 5-6 times a year.

Latest posts