• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone playing superclass?

domromer

* Ace Member *
Ive heard of it, and have seen some video online. But have never heard of it being played locally here in Florida in leagues or tournaments.

Is it taking off in other parts of the country?

I always suggest that we have superclass rounds, and everyone thinks it's a great idea.
But when I try to actually get people out to do it, all I hear are crickets

Up here in the snow we play Super Class discs all the time. Most folks use a Zephyr. I carry a Condor with the Zephyrs. There's also a Zephyr only tournament held every year.

Up here in the snow we play Super Class discs all the time. Most folks use a Zephyr. I carry a Condor with the Zephyrs. There's also a Zephyr only tournament held every year.

Just for the record, condors are not superclass legal

The superclass idea never really caught on, and I don't know if any tournaments are run that way anymore.

But there is a group of local disc golfers around here who like to play superclass rounds.

I really enjoy throwing lids...I've kept the Zephyr in the bag for awhile now and it's started saving me strokes on longer approach shots. That being said I haven't been out with ONLY my Zephyr to take on a course with just my Superclass discs.

I got a nice disc as a part of my player's pack at a local Ice Bowl last week. Anyone have experience with the Gateway Doggy Style (DS) disc? It's like a Zephyr with a big thumb track in it. The thing flies MUCH faster than other lids I've thrown but I saw where it's approved for PDGA play.

The KDGA has one Super Class event each year. The previous year winner gets to pick the location and design the course each year. The last few years have been won by one of DD's newest sponsored players, Ben Wiggins. I've had a blast each year I attended.

1976 Dave Johnson USA - 125.57m - Wham-O 119g

Thats 412' with a 119g beach lid?! Imagine what he'd do with a modern disc?! Crush city.

Thats 412' with a 119g beach lid?! Imagine what he'd do with a modern disc?! Crush city.

Technique for each type of disc is a bit different, but he can certainly still crush a modern disc. Probably not quite as far as his record at this point, but still pretty good for a 65-year-old.

I play the occasional Zephyr-only round. And love it.
I've always got two DX Zephyrs in my trunk, if anyone wants to grab a quick Zephyr round...

Super Class never caught on as a regular competitive format intended for shorter, outdated courses that couldn't be lengthened. Players in general would still rather use their regular hi-tech discs on short courses, including many of the veteran players who cut their teeth on lids because they don't have to throw the newer discs as hard. And it suffered from being limited in the disc varieties needed to successfully compete. The Zephyr is king with the Te Moko and Hero 235 (Innova) being close in the running. Just get maybe two weights of one of those discs and you're set.

The UltraStar is Super Class and we hoped it might encourage more crossover from the Ultimate crowd. However, it doesn't go as far and is wider than the Zephyr. Their Junior Ulty disc (Sky Pro) maybe could compete with the Zephyr but I don't believe Discraft ever made it in the heavier Super Class weights to find out.

He and a few others made a Frisbee tour stop at my college in '79. As I recall, he was California-tan and sun-blonde, wearing basketball short-shorts and sporting a P. I. Magnum-worthy 'stache. Back then there was little dg: the events were distance, accuracy, T-R-C, MTA, and freestyle.
And all our dg was object courses with our Ultimate discs. Mine was an AMF Voit, which I still have in my collection. :D

Super Class never caught on as a regular competitive format intended for shorter, outdated courses that couldn't be lengthened. Players in general would still rather use their regular hi-tech discs on short courses, including many of the veteran players who cut their teeth on lids because they don't have to throw the newer discs as hard. And it suffered from being limited in the disc varieties needed to successfully compete. The Zephyr is king with the Te Moko and Hero 235 (Innova) being close in the running. Just get maybe two weights of one of those discs and you're set.

The UltraStar is Super Class and we hoped it might encourage more crossover from the Ultimate crowd. However, it doesn't go as far and is wider than the Zephyr. Their Junior Ulty disc (Sky Pro) maybe could compete with the Zephyr but I don't believe Discraft ever made it in the heavier Super Class weights to find out.

We've got a few outdated..read short courses that would never hold a regular tournament, but would be awesome for a superclass tournament. Maybe I should see if I could get something going locally. I walked passed hole one yesterday and saw guy driving with a wraith. It's a 120ft tunnel shot...it got me thinking there has got to be a better way!

Super Class never caught on as a regular competitive format intended for shorter, outdated courses that couldn't be lengthened. Players in general would still rather use their regular hi-tech discs on short courses, including many of the veteran players who cut their teeth on lids because they don't have to throw the newer discs as hard. And it suffered from being limited in the disc varieties needed to successfully compete

Yup that about says it.

Funny though I actually like SC rounds on the big courses because it turns the course into basically what a lot of players/designers are looking for and that is a "bigger" course with many par fours and a few par fives. Like you said though you have to throw harder and after a single round of SC on a big course I'm done for the day and the next.

Yup that about says it.

Funny though I actually like SC rounds on the big courses because it turns the course into basically what a lot of players/designers are looking for and that is a "bigger" course with many par fours and a few par fives. Like you said though you have to throw harder and after a single round of SC on a big course I'm done for the day and the next.

I don't know how you guys throw a zephyr hard. I might be able to get it out to 300ft but it always turns over. No matter how much hyzer I put on it, its still finishing right. I find the polecat much more stable and easier to drive. Both are fun. I'm just way more accurate with a polecat. But yeah I definitely agree, a zephyr round is fun.

Latest posts