• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Anyone using Vibram Five Fingers?

I finally broke down and bought some Five Fingers, and I've tried them a few times on the disc golf course. I like the concept of the shoes, but they're really not designed with disc golf in mind. Mainly they give your toes zero protection from a concrete pad. I tore a little hole in the big toe of my left shoe the first time I threw in these from a concrete pad. For disc golf I'd recommend Keen or Merrell shoes with a sturdy toe box over Five Fingers, at least if you're playing on a course with concrete pads. With natural tee pads they might do just fine, and the Five Fingers really are a unique and interesting experience for hiking, running, etc. I get the impression they'd be good for rock climbing as well, or at least for bouldering, and they might make great river shoes.

If you are an REI member then you can return it them you don't like them.

Also you don't have to be an REI member to return merchandise to REI. It's easier as a member because you don't have to keep your receipt, but their commitment to customer service is outstanding, whether or not that customer happens to be a member of the co-op. :thmbup:

I actually went the past few summers rarely wearing shoes, and the rest of the year in just Birkenstocks. I much prefer it, and if these shoes fit me properly I would wear them.

If only it wasn't for my GF who made me clean up my feet. When I was barefoot all the time I could walk through glass and it would just stick to my feet... ah the good ole' days.

I actually went the past few summers rarely wearing shoes, and the rest of the year in just Birkenstocks. I much prefer it, and if these shoes fit me properly I would wear them.

You'd definitely like them if they fit you well. Make sure to go try them on in a store before you commit to buying them, because not all shapes of foot will fit. Specifically they don't work for people whose second toes are longer than their big toes. Or if you have any kind of digital deformity in your toes, like twisted toes or toes that cross over each other, they probably won't work for you. Vibram's website, or customer reviews on places like rei.com might be good sources for research.

I've been playing in a pair of sprints for several weeks and I LOVE them. They are the favorite shoes I've ever worn, bar none. But then, I've spent as much of my life barefoot as possible, and have strong arches and tough feet. Even so, I've bruised the bottoms of my feet a few times on rocks/roots so far. It really is just a thin bit of vibram rubber on the bottoms of your feet.

If you are considering trying a pair, DO find a place that has them in stock in your size to try on before ordering. I found that it was hard to figure out what size to order, and that the size that fits best in one style may not be the size that fits best in another style... salesman at HTO said he'd had the same experience, that the sizing from one style to the next was a little inconsistent, so definitely try before you buy.

I haven't yet had problems with them wearing out, but I've only had them a few weeks. I've played on concrete and dirt and they've worked well for both. I would be wary of playing thorny courses, since I don't think they would offer enough protection from large thorns -- I think they'd poke right through. But there is plenty of protection from glass, which is my biggest concern on most courses.

I've been looking at FiveFingers for about two years, but held off ordering until REI started stocking them, since I want the REI return policy. I'm not sure how these will hold up -- at least the Sprints. But I know I can take them back and exchange them if need be. If you're going to order, do order through REI.

I wear them for other activities, too, and have found them excellent for all kinds of activity... walking, running, light bouldering, etc...

If you don't have tough feet already, I would recommend the FiveFinger Treks -- more protection on the bottoms of your feet, more durability and a lot more grip. I think they are probably the best disc golf option by far. Ugly as all get out, though. Don't do this for style.

And do be prepared for lots of questions and weird looks anytime you are in public... or even on the disc golf course. If you don't handle it well when strangers come up and ask you questions, don't get these shoes.

You'd definitely like them if they fit you well. Make sure to go try them on in a store before you commit to buying them, because not all shapes of foot will fit. Specifically they don't work for people whose second toes are longer than their big toes. Or if you have any kind of digital deformity in your toes, like twisted toes or toes that cross over each other, they probably won't work for you. Vibram's website, or customer reviews on places like rei.com might be good sources for research.

This is absolutely correct. I was very interested in purchasing a pair, but unfortunately the second toe on each of my feet is what is called a Mallet Toe (crooked at the distal interphalangeal joint), which I developed from years of wearing shoes that were too narrow (by the time it was figured out that I wear EEE Wide from New Balance, it was too late). They don't cause any functional or pain issues at all, except that I can't wear five fingers.

Also, another natural foot shape variant that will disqualify one from wearing these shoes is the acuteness of the angle of your toes. For this angle, the big toe if the vertex, with one ray directed to the medial side of the calcaneus, and the other ray is directed to the tip of the 5th toe. If this angle is too acute, the lateral toes will be extremely loose in the shoe. I'm not sure of the maximum limit of the degree to this angle, but the lateral three toes on each foot was very loose in fit for me personally.

So, while the idea behind these shoes is stellar, the wearer is unfortunately required to have almost perfectly shaped (and the ideal shape is obviously dictated by Vibram) for the shoe to fit properly.

What about Nike's "Free"? These are basically the same concept, except you don't have a weird looking shoe that's 100 bucks. It's got the same idea as going barefoot, and has a grid pattern that's designed for huge sole flexibility so you're training as though barefoot, without looking like a freak.

I have a pair of the Treks. They are cool to wear around as the next best thing to being barefoot. You will get a lot of funny looks and people stopping you to ask about them. They are definitely NOT good for disc golf. If you are just putting or throwing nice easy upshots, they are fine, but if you are like me and put a lot into your pivot foot when you drive, they are not good for that. The toes kind of fold over as I pivot which is highly uncomfortable. I also think that the soles would wear out pretty quickly after much use. The only people that I've heard about liking these for dg are those that have the Sprints. I would not recommend the Treks for disc golfing. I bought mine with disc golf in mind, but I only wear them to the gym or just being out and about now.

Latest posts