• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Appropriately Named

tamahawk

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
My local course has a few holes that have been "named" so to speak for unique features and/or qualities that they possess. Hole14 at Freeman Lake Park is referred to by many of the locals as the silo hole because of the unique concrete structure that must be avoided off the box. There actually used to be 2 of these structures, but one is no longer standing.

Do any of you have any "named" holes at your local courses? What are the unique qualities and features of the hole?

here is a blurb from my review of Brandywine Creek Park in Deleware.

Shots range from a shot in between two trees and along a stone wall (hole 1) to down a hill over a creek and around a wooded area (hole 4 nicknamed the Beauty) to a 666 ft. shot straight uphill (hole 5 nicknamed the Beast).

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=40&mode=gal#
basket is dead middle of the trees on the other side.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=40&mode=gal#
basket is further up, the hill contiues up about twice as high as the pic, and then is haidden behind a large oak.

This is my home course at hole #5. We call this hole "Hurricane Damage" because Hurricane Ike completely changed this hole with the number of trees it took out. Also when they cleaned up the course, it left these huge piles of trees and debris that you have to avoid, or you will spend 10-20 minutes trying to find your disc. I can usually clear it, but if you catch a tree on the way to the basket (and it does happen) your in trouble. Off the tee, you have to go to the right to avoid the stand of tress, and then back left to hit the basket. Its only 277 feet, but you have to really make your shot count because of all the trees.

hole5.jpg

how do you get the links in your signature field? i cant seem to do it at all.:(

No worries, I had the same issue!
Go to the UserCP to edit your signature. Type in the text that you want to be your link, highlight the text, and click the little "earth" icon with the link on it. It will pop up a box where you can enter the URL. Just copy and paste the web address into this field, and there's your text link.

I had to ask timg this same question about a week ago...:D

This is my home course at hole #5. We call this hole "Hurricane Damage"

Where is the basket on this hole, is it behind that large pile of trees that are kinda straight off of the box? I can definitely see that stuff causing some issues. I played a course that had some similar issues due to the ice storm we had earlier this year. There was a little par3 hole, I had a great drive but landed behind a pile of trees like that. What should have been a routine birdie putt ended up a trickly little toss over a brush pile!

i think we should name 16 at freeman "bye bye disc"...

:confused:now why would that be?:confused::rolleyes:

This is the one he's talking about.

The water is low in this picture, the basket is typically only 12ft from the edge of the lake. It's not a long hole, about 230ft carry or so over the lake, but anything short and left is gone. You can bail to the right, and even if you don't make it across the water, it is shallow enough to retrieve (within 15ft of the bank or so), but over where the basket is gets a little deeper. I've probably dumped 5or6 in there in the last couple of years. When the wind is blowing off of the lake, this is a trickly little tee shot.

brandywine although not my local course has 3 holes that are deemed the beauty the beast and the fatherless

No worries, I had the same issue!
Go to the UserCP to edit your signature. Type in the text that you want to be your link, highlight the text, and click the little "earth" icon with the link on it. It will pop up a box where you can enter the URL. Just copy and paste the web address into this field, and there's your text link.

I had to ask timg this same question about a week ago...:D

thank you very much.

Bryan Park Hole #14. Has a fairway with a group of trees/rough to the left. In the summer many homeless or just "regulars" sit inside there to drink and smoke. We have affectionatley called this hole "Hobo Alley" for a long time.

Hole #4 at East Roswell Park in Roswell, GA (Atlanta metro) has four old truck trailers permanently parked along the left side of the fairway.

You can just see the tops peeking over the top of the ridge in this shot from the blue tees:

1399600777_33beb3c2b2.jpg

Here's a shot from the fairway with the last three trailers in view:

1399621395_2ebb842e3d.jpg

The basket is another 90-100 ft past the last trailer, way over to the left, on a slope that drops at least 15 ft or so down behind the basket, with shule all around.

And for fun, here's a shot of Ken Climo trying to extricate himself from between the last two trailers during the 2008 Atlanta Open (sorry for the quality -- it rained all day, and this was the last shot I got before the moisture that got into my camera fogged it up completely).

2396907525_f5c22dcbbc.jpg

Naturally, the hole is known far and wide (especially after hosting a National Tour event this year) as "the trailer hole".

It's part of a group of holes (3 through 5) that are among the most open on an otherwise extremely wooded course, but which as a result are completely surrounded by nearly impenetrable kudzu during the warmer months of the year. Shank a drive off the fairway, and you could be looking all day for a disc in there. Collectively, those holes have been nicknamed "Kudzu Corner".

Well that picture is a confidence booster...if Climo gets stuck in the trailers I don't feel so bad about it anymore!!

Hole #4 at East Roswell Park in Roswell, GA (Atlanta metro) has four old truck trailers permanently parked along the left side of the fairway.

You can just see the tops peeking over the top of the ridge in this shot from the blue tees:

1399600777_33beb3c2b2.jpg

Here's a shot from the fairway with the last three trailers in view:

1399621395_2ebb842e3d.jpg

The basket is another 90-100 ft past the last trailer, way over to the left, on a slope that drops at least 15 ft or so down behind the basket, with shule all around.

And for fun, here's a shot of Ken Climo trying to extricate himself from between the last two trailers during the 2008 Atlanta Open (sorry for the quality -- it rained all day, and this was the last shot I got before the moisture that got into my camera fogged it up completely).

2396907525_f5c22dcbbc.jpg

Naturally, the hole is known far and wide (especially after hosting a National Tour event this year) as "the trailer hole".

It's part of a group of holes (3 through 5) that are among the most open on an otherwise extremely wooded course, but which as a result are completely surrounded by nearly impenetrable kudzu during the warmer months of the year. Shank a drive off the fairway, and you could be looking all day for a disc in there. Collectively, those holes have been nicknamed "Kudzu Corner".

whats kudzu?

This is the one he's talking about.

The water is low in this picture, the basket is typically only 12ft from the edge of the lake. It's not a long hole, about 230ft carry or so over the lake, but anything short and left is gone. You can bail to the right, and even if you don't make it across the water, it is shallow enough to retrieve (within 15ft of the bank or so), but over where the basket is gets a little deeper. I've probably dumped 5or6 in there in the last couple of years. When the wind is blowing off of the lake, this is a trickly little tee shot.

does anyone go in and retrieve discs?

whats kudzu?

Evil. Kudzu is totally evil. Think of it as rabid ivy on steroids. It's a prime example of a destructive invasive species, introduced from Japan to the South at some World's fair or something many many decades ago. James Dickey wrote a poem about it. You could probably look it up on wikipedia.

Latest posts