• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are most Disc Golf Clubs A "One man deal"?

I think this thread needs a small touch of reality in how people work in general. In general I'd say that these one man shows are guys who are doing a lot of good for the scene and probably dont get the credit they deserve. However I think you'll also find that while those that are quick to say hey somebody give me more help or split the amount of work we're doing for this they are not willing to relinquish the same amount of control of where the movement is going. Hence why you find so many small operations.

In a lot of cases where one guy starts any kind of operation or movement they want more people to buy in and more people to be involved with the work but they are less open to having others have a say in what is going on. Those that are are truly rare people.

In review, if you think you're one of these people and are reading this remember that you'll get more help with actually moving the sport forward in your area if you allow other people to have an opinion on what forward actually is. When you say hey this is what we're going to do I started this and it's my baby but you help me that **** doesn't fly with people.
Great post, New.

We just chartered our club here in the spring and I lead the project. Had solid help from a handful of club members who eventually volunteered with me to serve (thankfully) the first board of directors, and nominated me chairman and director of programming. So it's been hard to break the image of me running the club completely. Especially since 90% of the work the other directors do is not visable to the rest of the club. The best way (probably the only way) is to acknowledge and give credit to others as frequently as possible. But there still is a fine line that "one guy" in me has to walk whenever an idea is presented that falls outside of my director-role. sometimes i catch myself crossing it and i bet there are times i don't notice.

There can be more to a club than doing coursework, and running weekly doubles/league play.

In our club we do that. We also have people coordinating with the parks department to try to get new courses. We run tournaments. We have two club parties a year. We handle custom club-stamped discs and shirts

Not suprising, there is a handful of people who really make things happen. But there are a bunch more who contribute to one function or the other. Some will volunteer; some are willing to do so if asked.

So you might have a member who never shows up on workdays....but caters the summer party. Someone who you never see anywhere, but maintains the website. A treasurer, doing the club's taxes. In a larger club, probably a lot more people doing something than you ever notice.
I'd say this is the case with our club... there are a few key people who really make things go, there are a bunch of people who chip in to handle various duties. You don't realize how many people chip in to get things done until you pull the curtain back a bit.

Latest posts