• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are RPM discs out of New Zealand legit (PDGA approved)?

stratedge

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
There's a brand out of New Zealand called "RPM" that is starting to make it's way into Canada, and I recently picked up an intriguing mid of theirs called the Piwakawaka from a local who visited NZ. A bit of digging and they come up as available at in the USA as well: http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discs/rpm.html

As you can see from the picture, the Piwakawaka has "PDGA approved" right in the stamp. However, when I look up the disc on the PDGA approved disc list (http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs), nothing from RPM is in the list. I wanted to see the approved max weight because the discs are very heavy, some get up to 185 though I opted for 180.

Are there circumstances under which the disc can be PDGA approved but not in the list?

TeMoko used to be a brand called Aoeteora. It was PDGA approved and pretty fun to throw.

No idea if they changed the company name or just aold the mold though

So I'll just document here what I learned so that if someone comes across this thread in a search, it's complete:

I spoke to the PDGA technical committee as well as RPM discs, and there seemed to be a misunderstanding. RPM used to be called "Disc Golf Aoeteora" (as Andy noted) and the Piwakawaka used to be called the "Arcturus". The Arcturus is PDGA approved, however the gentleman from the PDGA noted that a name change required a mold re-certification unless the new name still contains the old name. RPM didn't know this, and so in fact the Piwakawaka is not PDGA legal at this time, even though they believed it to be so, along with their other discs.

Hopefully, they'll act quickly to remedy this, however the person I spoke to from RPM (via their facebook page) was very non-committal about that and became unresponsive once I think the PDGA had gotten in touch with them about the matter (which the PDGA rep mentioned during our conversation he intended to do). Until that point, I think the person I was speaking to from RPM didn't believe me when I told them about the need to recertify, and then it hit them.

It's interesting to me because RPM are actively sponsoring players who are playing in (and recently winning, according to their facebook page) PDGA sanctioned events in New Zealand / Australia. Presumably, while throwing their not PDGA certified discs. I'm not sure if that would potentially have consequences... and if it potentially could, who would force the issue. But I think it explains why they won't respond to my questions about if and when they plan to PDGA certify the discs under their new names.

/thread

Last edited:
I just want to point out that I spelled Aoeteora off the top of my head without looking it up. This may be my proudest internet moment.

Anyone that owns a Piwakawaka, just cross that name out and write on the top of the disc "Arcturus." Boom. Problem solved.

Anyone that owns a Piwakawaka, just cross that name out and write on the top of the disc "Arcturus." Boom. Problem solved.
I was just thinking that what if you just wipe the stamp off?

If it's the same disc that was approved, who could tell which one it is? It also raises a question whether the stamp should be recognizable on a PDGA approved disc if the name truly does matter. :confused:

I was just thinking that what if you just wipe the stamp off?

If it's the same disc that was approved, who could tell which one it is? It also raises a question whether the stamp should be recognizable on a PDGA approved disc if the name truly does matter. :confused:

Some companies are addressing the stamp issue by including the name in the mold. Discraft, Trilogy, I think Vibram, all do this. IMO, as the sport grows, having the name molded on the disc makes it seem more legit.

So a different name on the same disc is a problem, but a different mold with an approved discs name on it is okay? Totally makes sense...

I just want to point out that I spelled Aoeteora off the top of my head without looking it up. This may be my proudest internet moment.

Bit of a brag, but that's legit, so...I'll let it go. :)

Not letting go of the name though. Piwakawaka. Love it.

Aoeteora

TeMoko used to be a brand called Aoeteora. It was PDGA approved and pretty fun to throw.

No idea if they changed the company name or just aold the mold though

I actually still have a Aoeteora Raptor-X, probably got it 10+ years ago.

Latest posts