• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc Golf UK Duke

rhatton1

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
New Midrange disc from Disc Golf UK has been PDGA approved.

soIKUPVl.jpg

The Duke is the first disc in Disc Golf UK's line up. British designed and produced it's a straight, stable, long flying Mid-range with a predictable fade giving great control coupled with surprising distance.

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/...Zd2DHi-sExdLPGBkmh2E4MIdRzCchfZsVc-vmwEmRIXIU

Further discs will be available in the next month with the Duchess - a more stable to understable mid, the Count, a fairway driver you can count on and the Baron, a beaded putter perfect for putting and driving off the tee.

All will be available in our Baseline blend - Noble plastic and our Step up gummier Blend in fluorescent colours - Regal plastic.

A further blend of soft crumple on impact plastic should be available in all molds as well which has been formulated for our schools program and for hire discs for the courses we are installing.

A premium plastic version will follow later this year.

Distribution in the US will begin once the other 3 molds are available.

Pre Orders for the Duke in the UK are available now here - http://discgolfuk.uk/shop/the-duke/

A. This disc would look great in blue (Go Duke)
B. This disc is great for comebacks (Go Duke)
C. In reality, the naming system is cliche, and discs like the Queen, King, Monarch already exist. I wonder why they chose that route. (Go Duke)

C. In reality, the naming system is cliche, and discs like the Queen, King, Monarch already exist. I wonder why they chose that route. (Go Duke)

Also, UK = Kentucky... two bluebloods on one disc.

Always interested in new disc golf developments in the UK. What would you compare the plastics to?

The Noble is closest in feel to Retro from latitude I would say.

The Regal I'm struggling to think of a similar plastic feel.

As for naming, whilst King and Queen have already gone the idea is to have an easy to follow line up that you intuitively know how they will fly compared to one another:

Eg.

Mids - Duke, Duchess, Archduke,

Putters - Baron, Baroness, Baronet,

Fairways- Count, Countess, Viscount

Distance - Earl, etc.

the idea was also to tie in to something intrinsically British as well.

I'm also a history major and my favourite period was always the Dark Ages to medieval.

As a personal belief I'm very much anti monarchy and anti honorific titles bestowed by birth, but The Duke is a cool name, sooo....

^the one and only time I ever rooted for Duke*

*I was asked to leave the party I was at because I was the only one laughing.

As for naming, whilst King and Queen have already gone the idea is to have an easy to follow line up that you intuitively know how they will fly compared to one another:

Eg.

Distance - Earl, etc.

The naming schema won't translate to Americans. I am somewhat of a history nerd, and even I can't remember if a Duke or a Barron is higher on the hiarchy.

Perhaps have dual name(as RPM does), one for the commonwealth and one for American/Asian markets.

Highlander, Beefeater, Longbow, The Tower, Big Ben, Avon, Globe, RobRoy... are all very historical British names and would translate better to American pop culture.

As a personal belief I'm very much anti monarchy and anti honorific titles bestowed by birth, but The Duke is a cool name, sooo....

I agree, but it could be worse. It could be..... oh wait, I fuss at others for bringing politics into play. ;)

Best of luck on your project.

The naming scheme won't make sense to Americans in terms of us understanding from the name which disc is faster just from the name. Still, I don't think that necessarily makes it bad; it will just seem more arbitrary to us (which is how most naming systems are anyway). It's certainly no worse than the law and order themed naming system that Dynamic uses. And I'm sure it will get less complaints than the letter/number system Prodigy uses. HOWEVER, all that being said, Big Ben, The Tower, and Beefeater would all make great names for discs so... :D

The naming scheme won't make sense to Americans in terms of us understanding from the name which disc is faster just from the name. Still, I don't think that necessarily makes it bad; it will just seem more arbitrary to us (which is how most naming systems are anyway). It's certainly no worse than the law and order themed naming system that Dynamic uses. And I'm sure it will get less complaints than the letter/number system Prodigy uses. HOWEVER, all that being said, Big Ben, The Tower, and Beefeater would all make great names for discs so... :D

It will get no complaints from me at all. I was just giving a bit of cultural feedback.

I actually am thinking that I want a Count, just so I can do a custom dye on it. I have seen Oscar the Grouch dyes, why not a Count dye on a Count.:thmbup:

Should've named the baseline plastic Serf plastic.

I like the naming scheme for the discs though. The molds being related (Baron, Baroness, etc) makes as much sense as River/River Pro and Eagle X/L and H1 and H1v2 etc.

I'm just waiting for somebody to buy a Duke and Americanize it with a custom John Wayne dye.

The Noble is closest in feel to Retro from latitude I would say.

The Regal I'm struggling to think of a similar plastic feel.

Eg.

Distance - Earl, etc.

the idea was also to tie in to something intrinsically British as well.

I'm also a history major and my favourite period was always the Dark Ages to medieval.

I'm just waiting for somebody to buy a Duke and Americanize it with a custom John Wayne dye.

Honestly, that's where my head went first. I can see a cold eyepatch True Grit dye eventually.

Might want to rethink that URL while you're at it. Phonetically discgolfuk is, uh, interesting. You don't want to go down the path of therapistfinder.com (for finding therapists, right? Right?). At least go with DiscGolfUK.com.

Well they might go the other route like Duke, Duchess, Monarchy not Monarch, Prince, Princess and others like that that are not taken from royalty stuff or they are going with random names in UK and could end up with a Kilt, a Big Ben, a Ale lots of British beer is a type of Ale, Highland or Fell, flat (apartment), Moor, Wimbledon, Rugby, Football (soccer), Cricket, Eye (London Eye), Stonehenge, ect. Odd names that do not fit other then they were British things, places, or sports.