• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are We Still Laughing at Steve Dodge?

Yep.....this is the kind of discussion I was hoping to spark.

It sounds like a bigger party/festival is what Dodge is not angling for, at the MVP Open. IMO...that sounds great. As a potential spectator, this is what would draw me in.

I wonder how this deal impacts other tournaments. Should the MetroParks here start negotiating with Discraft, for naming rights to use Toboggan, for DGLO and USADGC? Are there other courses, offering the amenities to rival Maple Hill, that could look into this kind of deal? What does this mean for private courses, like Cale's? How about current private courses, that have the gold level courses and amenities now? Do they pursue a deal with a disc company, to curry favor in attracting DGPT event? Or is Dodge again leading disc golf down a dark tunnel?

No clue if that festival type vibe is still part of the equation or not, but if it were still on the table I think the best shot of it happening would be at a place like the Preserve. Meaning that it's private land, and has the pro shop/restaurant or whatever so the owner would have a way of making some money over the weekend. Tricky part is how many of those places exist, would be willing to host a big tournament, and be willing to turn their space into something like Bonnaroo for the weekend?

I think it could happen a few years down the road, but for now just getting the basic logistics worked out for paying spectators and everything running smooth for all parties is enough to focus on.

Several years ago Dodge's DGPT spectator games came to DFW for the Nick Hyde Memorial. It was actually lots of fun, even for my 4-year-old. He was definitely on to something, but there are likely not enough venues to make that an every-tourny thing.

The goofy glasses were kinda interesting but yeah the hair thing had to go. Plus, his board game is too expensive.

No clue if that festival type vibe is still part of the equation or not, but if it were still on the table I think the best shot of it happening would be at a place like the Preserve. Meaning that it's private land, and has the pro shop/restaurant or whatever so the owner would have a way of making some money over the weekend. Tricky part is how many of those places exist, would be willing to host a big tournament, and be willing to turn their space into something like Bonnaroo for the weekend?

I think it could happen a few years down the road, but for now just getting the basic logistics worked out for paying spectators and everything running smooth for all parties is enough to focus on.

as much as i take a dump on the preserve it has parking space and the food and camping to do so

grocery store is like 5 min away

its tucked behind this residential area tho which they might complain about the noise

didnt/doesnt highbridge have some random music festivals

His interview on Smashboxx last night was good, getting ready to fire up his interview with the upshot right now.

He's definitely got charisma and very passionate. Just wanting to state out loud the dude really wants dg to explode and puts his own spin on that…take it or leave it.

He talks a fair amount about upgrades to Maple Hill, and keeps talking about "infrastructure" upgrades. Sounds like there are a lot of solid upgrade plans, haven't been there myself…but where I'm torn is the big picture vision is basically a disc golf stadium.

Nothing wrong with that…if the future of big events is spectators and ticket revenue yadda yadda and all that it's ok…but here's Steve being Steve: Infrastructure upgrades equate to building bleacher seating on numerous holes.

Aka big hype that'll be done in time for the tournament and will sit unused for 11 months until the next year. So why not simply rent the hardware once a year and not have it look janky the next year?

$1M ace pot is a gimmick…offered first two days to generate ticket sales. Great idea to do that but it's only 8 women Thursday and 8 men Friday. And I guess they're taking the top couple men and women and doing the same thing Saturday?

So kinda a ticket sales dg festival but no music?

Again…not knocking…dude has done a lot to move things forward. He just has own way of doing things for better or worse?

I watched the 2008 Vibram Open last night (in part because this thread popped into my head when I was browsing my DVDs and noticed it). Steve Dodge is on commentary on that DVD.

If I'm not laughing WITH Steve Dodge, then I'm definitely still laughing at Steve Dodge.

That's a good point, maybe part of the reason why DGWT didn't catch on as quickly? If I recall they only had like 6-8 events also? Where DGPT had more, and basically took some of the larger already established events and said ok your event is part of our tour now. Your event will benefit from our visibility.

DGPT's first year had fewer events than that.

Never forget:
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2019/03/21/steve-dodge-single-entity-theory-pro-disc-golf/

"DGPT head Steve Dodge stepped inside the Smashboxx on November 13, 2018, to announce that he was firing the only endemic producers of live tournament coverage: SmashboxxTV."
"The Memorial were a significant downgrade from the JomezPro and CCDG fare to which the viewing public has become accustomed. There are no DGPT post-produced videos from Waco at all"

Jeff Spring did it right by partnering with the greats of disc golf media.

Steve Dodge has done some good for disc golf, but he has had a number of missteps. He may have started Vibram Disc Golf, but the Four20 was a marketing nightmare, and decision Steve owned, that likely caused Vibram to stop selling discs.

Disclaimer: I am not Dodge's biggest fan. However, I would say his contributions to our sport are HOF-worthy -- without a doubt imho. Look at the greatest business people of our time -- the Bezos-, Zuckerberg-, Jobs-, Gates-, etc.,-type people. All of their stories are pattered with mistakes early on; and some still to this day. But their willingness to try things and continue to accelerate toward their vision despite failures is what made them great. I don't see Dodge as any different. Despite all of the negative things that occurred, the vision is closer to being relaized today than ever before. He's an HOF-er in my mind.

And of course Jeff, by choosing a different path, made a better decision. He clearly had more data to deal with -- including one of Dodge's failures. Steve Jobs and Apple didn't invent the tablet computer either. They were working off of the failures of other computer companies.

That's a good point, maybe part of the reason why DGWT didn't catch on as quickly? If I recall they only had like 6-8 events also? Where DGPT had more, and basically took some of the larger already established events and said ok your event is part of our tour now. Your event will benefit from our visibility.

https://www.pdga.com/tour/search?Of...=2015-03-06&date_filter[max][date]=2023-03-10
La Mirada
Konopiste
European Open
European Masters
USDGC

https://www.discgolfworldtour.com/tour/schedule/
Aussie
Konopiste
European Open
DGWT Championship (USDGC)

Latest posts