• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arroyo Disc Golf Basket

I want 54
but I have to get course approvals first :)

and then convince the schmegs around here that not everything has to say Innova

Maybe since you're from Calgary it'll help if you let them know two of us are from Michigan... that basically almost makes us Canadian too :p

Lol, hey David... yeah we did play together at the Memorial this year. And the Vortex will be our for sale in a little over a month, so I do recommend holding off. :thmbup: Like I said in an above post... we're running through all of our final checks. It'll take a little bit of time, but we want to make sure that we're putting out the best quality product. We'll keep everyone appraised on DGCR, Facebook, and our website, so stay tuned and keep in touch with us.

Cool, I look forward to it. I thought the Aroyo logo looked familiar, then I saw the name "Logan". I figured it was you.

Good luck with the business venture. It looks like you have a really solid product.

Guys, just so all of you know, there are three of us that created the Vortex. Of those three I'm the only spin putter. Kevin and Kyle both push putt (which some of you are saying our basket rejects more without having tried it). So I find it a little interesting that two push putters DESIGNED the product, yet some of you still doubt. So, I'd like to explain what we've done with the basket and why, to hopefully clear up all this controversy and leave it up to you guys to make your putts.

Logan

Thanks for your response - but again I'll reitirate that I have tried it. I ask that you refer to my previous post for my explanations and motives behind posting - not to attack but to apply critical reasoning and offer different points of view. I hope you're not getting offended that some people aren't just jumping straight on the bandwagon - but you need to understand why. The sport is on the verge of a large breakthrough so we need to be conscious and conscientious of how we affect change to the game.

I'm not against equipment improvements in any shape or form, all I'm saying is that the WAY that we go about (we as a community) improving our game needs to be in the spirit of the game and not in the spirit of catering to a specific play style or player at the expense of another. If your basket improves the game with minimal to no collateral damage then I'm all for it and I hope to see these things everywhere.

To be fair, since I've taken the counterpoint this whole thread I will say some good things:

1. The Vortex catches the hardest shots I've seen from 20 feet. People were slinging forehand midrange and driver shots at full power and the chains grabbed and dropped the disc right into the cage.

2. If you putt with a great deal of force you can do it confidently into the chains without worrying about cutting through - the basket looks tougher

3. The overall design is very nice, it is aesthetically very cool.

Market this carefully and it could be a very nice addition to the game - just be careful because you're treading on Steady's territory and you know how some people can be ;)

I'm afraid I still don't see the issue.

Disc Golf is what it is because of the players. If the majority of players favor these new baskets they eventually become the norm (at least widely accepted). If most players feel that the baskets aren't up snuff, or put them at some sort of disadvantage, it is likely that the baskets won't do well.

I don't think that Disc Golf needs some sort of guardian to warn new businesses that what they are doing could change the sport- the players change the sport.

Disc Golf is what it is because of the players. If the majority of players favor these new baskets they eventually become the norm (at least widely accepted). If most players feel that the baskets aren't up snuff, or put them at some sort of disadvantage, it is likely that the baskets won't do well.

I don't think that Disc Golf needs some sort of guardian to warn new businesses that what they are doing could change the sport- the players change the sport.

No kidding. It is just a damn basket. If you have to adjust you're putting a bit, then do it. Don't cry about it. I can't whip spin putts at Mach II baskets at one of my home courses, so I adjust. I don't bitch about how its changing the game.

Thanks for your response - but again I'll reitirate that I have tried it. I ask that you refer to my previous post for my explanations and motives behind posting - not to attack but to apply critical reasoning and offer different points of view. I hope you're not getting offended that some people aren't just jumping straight on the bandwagon - but you need to understand why. The sport is on the verge of a large breakthrough so we need to be conscious and conscientious of how we affect change to the game.

I'm not against equipment improvements in any shape or form, all I'm saying is that the WAY that we go about (we as a community) improving our game needs to be in the spirit of the game and not in the spirit of catering to a specific play style or player at the expense of another. If your basket improves the game with minimal to no collateral damage then I'm all for it and I hope to see these things everywhere.

To be fair, since I've taken the counterpoint this whole thread I will say some good things:

1. The Vortex catches the hardest shots I've seen from 20 feet. People were slinging forehand midrange and driver shots at full power and the chains grabbed and dropped the disc right into the cage.

2. If you putt with a great deal of force you can do it confidently into the chains without worrying about cutting through - the basket looks tougher

3. The overall design is very nice, it is aesthetically very cool.

Market this carefully and it could be a very nice addition to the game - just be careful because you're treading on Steady's territory and you know how some people can be ;)

Tacoma,

We're not upset about your comments at all, we just believe that our product is an improvement to the game and wanted our reasons for specific changes to be clear. I'm glad that not everyone is on board, because the feedback from all types and level is welcome. We want to be a company of players, for the players.

Any chance we'll see one of these at the OG Monthly on the 28th?
I've been talking this up on the course and I know quite a few peeps who are interested in putting on one.
If possible, bring one out! :hfive:

The World Adapts

I was halfway through this thread when I went to lunch. I actually started comparing the situation to basketball but not in the way that it was discussed earlier. I remembered how the rims went from quite stiff and changed to be much softer (due to breakaway rims and construction). My experience has shown me that the softer the rim, the more shots that go in. Surely when these new softer rims were introduced there were those that said, "This is making things too easy. If you want it to go in, just don't hit the rim!".
I realize that this isn't the perfect analogy but I think in the long run, people will like to see the disc go in the chains and stay there. I can't imagine anyone hitting the dead center of a Vortex wishing that their putt had had more of an opportunity to spit through. Most arguments against the Vortex have been about changing something that hasn't changed in a long time (never a very good argument in the long run) or that it rewards a certain type of putt more than another but that's probably the case with any rule or course change for that matter.

wow basket looks great and cant wait to see one in person.. anyone have the link to the drawings that were mentioned earlier in the thread? would love to get a better idea of what the chain setup looks like.. i can get a good idea from the pic but still kinda hard for me to tell.. keep up the great work guys :thmbup:

I toss my putts the way I do regardless of the pattern on the chains. Most that hit go in, and the ones that don't make it typically don't because of my poor putting skills-not the chains. I'd love to try this new basket out, but I don't foresee any courses around here replacing the current baskets with these any time soon if ever.
I can see the points JTacoma made, and they make sense, especially for somebody like me who doesn't suffer from many putts being spit out of the chains. I putt to sink it, not rail the chains as hard as possible. That being said, I can see how those distance putts and ace runs might be more interesting with a better disc catching system. Honestly, I don't think it will make a noticeable difference to most players. Most players probably won't see these on their courses for awhile anyways. And for the people that shell out the big bucks for tricked out discs and disc accessories like that basket, good for them.
Point being, I think the people that are picky enough to buy one of these baskets will probably love it(and I hope they do), and those who wouldn't buy one shouldn't get bent out of shape about something new being available but not forced on them. There's to much unmitigated bickering and flaming going on in these forums lately and it's getting old fast.

No kidding. It is just a damn basket. If you have to adjust you're putting a bit, then do it. Don't cry about it. I can't whip spin putts at Mach II baskets at one of my home courses, so I adjust. I don't bitch about how its changing the game.

*sigh* more TLDR'ing and people don't understand my point.

Moorent - I'm not a doomsday prophet saying the game is going to change - that's a given. It WILL change. My point is that (as DaKine responded) they want to be a company for players, so I'm just appealing - as this is an open forum of ideas and I'm allowed to do so - that they do so with conscious effort to minimize collateral change so that we grow new players but also keep the older generation of players. It's an idealistic notion I admit, but I'd really love to keep the sport that goes big (I fully believe it will) as close as possible to the sport that was born and carried on grassroots and community efforts for the past 20 years.

Stearns - I really don't understand the point of your post. I feel like you're just taking potshots at people with a different viewpoint. At no point am I crying about a basket or bitching that change is happening. My earliest posts in this thread I even admitted to playing devils advocate a bit in order to stimulate different thought about this change. Please post constructively, and if you're going to call someone out at least use their name. Even the only user on my ignore list at least had the courtesy to do that ;).

Stearns - I really don't understand the point of your post. I feel like you're just taking potshots at people with a different viewpoint. At no point am I crying about a basket or bitching that change is happening. My earliest posts in this thread I even admitted to playing devils advocate a bit in order to stimulate different thought about this change. Please post constructively, and if you're going to call someone out at least use their name. Even the only user on my ignore list at least had the courtesy to do that ;).

I didn't use your name because it wasn't directed at you. I did read your posts, by the way. Try being a little less defensive.

Your narcissism is obnoxious. That was directed at you.

I didn't use your name because it wasn't directed at you. I did read your posts, by the way. Try being a little less defensive.

Your narcissism is obnoxious. That was directed at you.

Lol, yup that's me, narcissistic.

Quote posts then if you want to respond, god forgive we misinterpret your vague criticisms.

A better question - if you're not responding to someone speficially, why post?

I want 54
but I have to get course approvals first :)

and then convince the schmegs around here that not everything has to say Innova

Good luck with that. I heard a fantastic "if it's not innova it's crap rant the other day before Sunday doubles". :wall:

I'd love to see these around here though so I hope you're able to pull it off.

People are gonna start getting alot more ace's and birds with these.
Dgcr member: " just hit a sick ace on a 150ft hole"
Reply: "nice job, what disc was it?"
Dgcr member: " it was a champ ape, threw it as hard as i could"
Reply: " oh, u must of been playin a course with arroyo baskets?..."
Dgcr member: "GUILTY!!!! Lol"
Reply: " doesnt count"

Let me be the first to coin the phrase " ARROYO ACE "

Latest posts