• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arroyo Disc Golf Basket

I'm torn on this. I like the idea of innovations to our sport, and sports in general. Think of where the NBA would be I'd they still used a peach basket and a ladder. But at the same time, spit outs are and always have been a part of our sport. I'd kinda miss seeing them go. Sure it might happen to you. But it might happen to someone on your card in a tourney as well. It happens. What's next? Make the baskets a foot wider? Perhaps a net behind the basket in case you blow past it? I've read arguments saying that a spit out punishes a putt with good form. So what? It's not the only case of good shots thwarted by variables in our sport. Picture this: you step up to the pad with a Valk in hand and you have a sweet tailwind behind you. Then, right as you release you perfect form throw, the wind stops blowing and your Valk turns and ends up 75 feet offline. Variables my friends. We need them just as much as other sports do. I don't want to see robotic putts from inside 20 feet.

BTW, the "slippery slope" arguement here, is a fallacy.

I watched the video, and the vid froze about a half second after his disc hit the chains. My first thought was, "but it didn't spit out?" hah.

Lol, hilarious. Watch it again and see if it sticks this time!

Oh, and Kevin and I have been following this thread from the beginning and will continue to do so... very interesting stuff guys. I'm glad this is causing such a heated discussion but don't get so pissed at each other... and I'm directing that at both sides. Its just disc golf, and remember what Steady Ed said: "he who has the most fun, wins." Spit outs are no fun whether or not you consider them "a part of the game." But also keep in mind that the Vortex wasn't created solely for the purpose of preventing spit outs. Though that was part of it, we've also removed and sharp edges that can damage your putters/discs (disc longevity), as well as made a championship caliber basket more affordable to the average joe, as well as aesthetically giving it a sleeker look while not deviating from the classic look we're all used to seeing.

For the record, I'm not getting upset. I actually find a lot of the arguements to be amusing. The only thing that annoyed me was the lame attack from JT who was convinced I was calling him out.

Careful, JT is going to think this is directed at him, unless you explicitly say that it isn't.

My rant was not directed at anyone in particular.
I am just incredulous that people seem opposed to a design that is demonstrably better, becasue it takes some randomness from a sport that is already filled with unavoidable chance.

My rant was not directed at anyone in particular.
I am just incredulous that people seem opposed to a design that is demonstrably better, becasue it takes some randomness from a sport that is already filled with unavoidable chance.

I know, it was a poor joke.

BTW, the "slippery slope" arguement here, is a fallacy.

I know. I was being sarcastic. Just a bunch of empty rhetoric to amuse myself. The point I was trying to make is this: if someone were to ever invent a "disc golf net" placed behind the baskets (or something else ridiculous like that,) then there would be people on here saying things like "wow! Now I can throw it as hard as I want and my disc won't blow past the basket!" Like I said I'm torn. I have to admit, that Vortex does look sweet as hell. I guess I'll reserve further judgement until I actually get to putt on one.

For the record, I'm not getting upset. I actually find a lot of the arguements to be amusing. The only thing that annoyed me was the lame attack from JT who was convinced I was calling him out.

I know man, I hear ya. Most of it is passionate but lighthearted. I'm not going to parent anyone, but there's no reason for anything personal.

Sweet Spot

It's just a sweet spot we're all talking about. All sports have tried to increase their sweet spots whether it has to do with golf clubs, tennis rackets, baseball bats, soccer balls or footballs (changing aerodynamics). There are always those reluctant to change. It seems that we're trying to increase the sweet spot for the disc golf basket and we're just experience the same difficulty.

My one question is this: IF (obviously a big IF) this sport started right this minute, which basket do you think would be chosen? The one that catches everything that hits it dead center or the one that occasionally doesn't? I think this is the objective way to look at the situation.

Question for the makers,

What exactly did you patent on this basket? I haven't seen a full, clear picture of it yet.

Question for the makers,

What exactly did you patent on this basket? I haven't seen a full, clear picture of it yet.

The chain design is what we have patent pending. Both the outer set; inner set; and how the two sets work together. You don't have to have a completely new product to patent something, you just have to be able to show improved functionality over what is called the "prior art," in this case existing chain design.

None of the aesthetic or material changes can be patented because they would be "obvious" and easy to accomplish for anyone skilled in metalwork.

The chain design is what we have patent pending. Both the outer set; inner set; and how the two sets work together. You don't have to have a completely new product to patent something, you just have to be able to show improved functionality over what is called the "prior art," in this case existing chain design.

None of the aesthetic or material changes can be patented because they would be "obvious" and easy to accomplish for anyone skilled in metalwork.

Are you going to sue courses that re-work their configuration into what your basket has? Not being a dick, just curious. Also, would softer putts fall out a lot more when you hit the "am" side of the chains because of the more stout chain design?

That was pretty hostile. I think the majority of players would disagree with your assertation that there is nothing wrong with spit-outs on the current designs of baskets. There will be some that agree with you, but I think that would be the minority.

BTW Bergdawg. I started a poll on this, and my side is losing. So, I admit that it looks like I may have been wrong here.

In the words of Michael Scott: "It takes a big man to admit you're wrong, and I am that man."

BTW Bergdawg. I started a poll on this, and my side is losing. So, I admit that it looks like I may have been wrong here.

In the words of Michael Scott: "It takes a big man to admit you're wrong, and I am that man."

I'm in it, to win it! Just playin', it's all good.

Latest posts