• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Assorted Dyeing Questions

kfeldt

Par Member
I finished up this Maryland state flag dye for my brother last night (not really a great picture). Generally it went OK, although I'm not too happy with how light the yellow turned out. I have a few questions for the experienced dyers though:

20141027_204155.jpg

- The Yellow: I dip dyed with Idye Yellow. Is Idye Golden Yellow much darker? I've done hand painting with the regular yellow before, and I thought that was why it was so light, but now I see that the dye itself maybe just isn't that vibrant. I may try to go back and hand paint a darker yellow, it's really bugging me the way it is now.

- Bleeds: I'm using Oracal 651 and burnishing all of the edges (with the butt end of my Exacto knife) a few times before I dye. It may be hard to see in the picture, but I still got a few small bleeds. Do I need to burnish even more? I tend to keep the dye fairly warm when I dip, could that be causing some of the bleeding problem?

- Checkers: I dyed the black first, then red, then yellow. When I did the yellow, it looks like some of the black bled into the yellow areas. This also happened with the checkers on my Okthrowberfest disc (Bier und Disc). Any suggestions as to a different way to do this?

- Edges: The edges of this disc ended up a little messy. I find it hard to seal them up when I'm dyeing all the way to the edge. I've seen a few discs where it looks like a black spin dye was done around the edge. I think that looks sharp, but I don't have a turntable (yet). Is there another option, aside from not dyeing all the way to the edge?

Z3TpzzDhbuZTyEMc_8XuNFu4BRNJhVRpCcrrjmbUo48=w837-h353-no

Thanks for your help!

Keith

You could try using elmers glue around the outside of the rim to help with that. I believe a lot of people use that. I have yet to try it but it seems like it would do the trick. I do the spin fix usually if I am dyeing to the edges.

Hard to say with Idye yellow. It is kind of a funky color by default. Maybe look into pylam or some of the professional line of Rit dye. Or maybe try yellow worm dye.

as far as making the yellow pop, whenever i dip dye, the colors arent as vibrant. I mix the dye with shaving cream and few drops of acetone. the dye takes much quick and is much deeper of a color, more vibrant i mean. heating the disc helps too

Thanks, I hadn't thought about that, but it would take care of the problem. The downside is that I'd have to remask everything that I'd already dyed, which I was trying to avoid.

Keith

Well I guess it really doesnt matter which order you do black but to stop that yellow to black bleed it would work. But it really dont matter too much otherwise because you can either dye black to cover up other mistakes or you can do black first and then not have to mask anything off because you cant dye over black.