• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin dye - dried out very light

seedlings

* Ace Member *
(TLDR) what do you do with discs right after spin dye, before handling to make sure colors set?

(Cool story bro) I did a couple of entry level spin dyes. I have used the rit dyemore with lotion bed (or direct application on disc) very successfully. I've watched some TDIDI spin videos a while back, and finally decided to try one. He puts a few light layers on, and that's it. I did the same, and they looked ok, until a few hours later. I picked them up and noticed the dyed edge felt 'rough,' and thought the tiny amount of acetone mixed with dye had etched the disc. Nope. The roughness was the dye itself, dried out and brushed off leaving very faint (but still kinda ok) color.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BC3E4E42-A56F-4393-979E-81E74AFF9833.jpg
    BC3E4E42-A56F-4393-979E-81E74AFF9833.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 49
  • ABDB150C-6F89-4F0D-BAA3-8E4AFE34A3EF.jpg
    ABDB150C-6F89-4F0D-BAA3-8E4AFE34A3EF.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 47
What was your dye medium for the spin dyes?

Rit Dyemore synthetic - splash into small container with a drip of acetone, applied with cotton swab.

All my other dyes are exact same Rit Dyemore mixed with lotion, and colors set fine. I didn't think the lotion viscosity would work on a spin technique.

Last edited:
I dont think the lotion will work well for spin dyes either. Is the Rit already liquid? I've never used it. But I have gotten decent results with pro-chem powdered dye and acetone.

Latest posts